Gamecube emulation on Pyra?

Kharg

Still Fresh
Well, as I've seen the Tegra K1 is able to play gamecube games pretty well, and it is based on a quad-core A15 

Pyra will use a dual-core A15, do you think that it will be enough to emulate gamecube like Tegra K1?  (As far as I know the Dolphin emulator just use 2 cores on arm)

it also runs great on a Nexus 9 (Tegra K1 Dual-core 2.5 Ghz)

Can anyone test the Dolphin emulator on an Omap5 dev board? It would be interesting, by the way, with upgradable CPU modules it would't really be impossible to achieve  :)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/cTPVWqfcXlc?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
IIUC there is no 3D acceleration on the dev board. And even if there were it wouldn't be of the type (currently; there are different opinions whether that could be changed) required by dolphin.

Dolphin REQUIRES OpenGL3.0. The OMAP5 does not have that. It will not happen, not without a LOT of rejiggering.

Just note there's no AI in this Mario Kart game. Add AI and there goes the speed unless you're in first place
how hard on the processor is giving the next CPU player a 120% speed boost over the real player?

#computerisacheatingbastard

And what you think, the pyra can run saturn , dreamcast and playstation 2 emulatora in decent speed for playing?

Dreamcast sure, it's almost playable on the Pandora and it's been demoed on the Pyra Devboard already:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/3rVX0L3QyhY?feature=oembed
PSP seeing how well that handles on the Pandora, I expect that to work better on the Pyra.

Saturn, Maybe? It's a game system that gets little love emulator wise. In theory I say its possible.

Playstation 2, Mid to High end desktops struggle with PS2 emulation... I don't see it happening.

Saturn I'm quite sure it will be fine. I have a build (of Yabause) using software rendering that runs some games at 50% speed (like sega Rally), so I'm quite confident the raw cpu power of the pyra will manage Saturn emulation @100% (maybe with some frameskip though).
OMG OMG OMG... Guardian Heroes portable...

I had a easier time running Playstation 2 on my desktop than the Saturn. I played the two Kingdom Hearts game there. But Rayman on Saturn lagged and stuff. I hope to get Playstation 2 on Pyra as it has the controls almost perfect for the system and portable no less.

PCSX2 will, as far as I know, not run on the Pyra for the following reasons:
  1. PCSX2 contains endless amounts of x86 assembly. No one wants the write ARM assembly to replace that.
  2. The Pyra probably doesn't have enough power to run many (read: probably most you will want to run) PS2 games. The PS2 is simply to complex/different/specialized to be easily emulated.

PCSX2 will, as far as I know, not run on the Pyra for the following reasons:
  1. PCSX2 contains endless amounts of x86 assembly. No one wants the write ARM assembly to replace that.
  2. The Pyra probably doesn't have enough power to run many (read: probably most you will want to run) PS2 games. The PS2 is simply to complex/different/specialized to be easily emulated.
There is an older Javabased Ps2 Emu named Jpcsp2 or near.
(i dont renember the exactly Name now)
Maybe Ps2 Emulation work over that on the Pyra?
Like Minecraft?

I have a certain opinion about Java, but I think that a lot of people would agree with me here. No, no, no.
Java is slower than a lot of things. I think the only things slower than Java might be certain Lisp-implementations.
The last commit will soon be 6 years old. PCSX2 improved a lot in those years. And ... Does this code even compile ?

Back