How far can emulation go? (Pyra vs. Pandora)

Could you try Stronghold on your OMAP5 devboard? I would spend entirely too much time gaming if that game worked on the Pyra.

-God Ginrai
I tried the Demo, but even on my regular PC I couldn't get it to install.. The demo has a garbage rating on the WineHQ site... However the full game is rated well and people claim it runs okay. Unfortunerly GoG only has the HD remaster, I don't have the full version of the original to try out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since we seem to have gone fully OT, I'll mention that the knack of drinking hot tea is all in the slurp.  Take in enough air with the liquid to rapidly cool it as the thin ribbon enters your mouth.

Personally I find that a bit of a faff though.  I slurp a couple of sips if in company, but generally drink the majority once it's reached non-scalding temperatures.  Especially as I take my tea black, so it doesn't even have the refrigerated milk to cool it down.

If it wasn't sort of a diplomatic meeting I wouldn't have been concerned.  There was no milk to be found, not that I would ever do such a thing to tea (although I do often drink this).  I only add things to coffee to make the flavor bearable to me.  The last time I drank coffee intentionally was a long time ago, possibly not in this millenium.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I got to thinking whether Dolphin (GameCube) could run well on Pyra. I did some of my own research, and learned that the Pyra graphics card only supports some features in OpenGL ES 3.0 and will most likely never fully support the library. Then I found this thread and Exophase's answers have been very helpful.

Here's what I'm thinking though. Some of the best emulators for Pandora are custom for the hardware, namely PicoDrive, gpSP, and DraStic. Also, PCSXreARMed is a port of a PC emulator optimized for ARM processors.

What I'm wondering is could Dolphin's graphics card code be optimized for Pyra's graphics card, like PCSXreARMed is optimized for ARM. It seems like the hard work has been done getting Dolphin to run on ARM, and the graphics card code is the bottleneck. Also, existing Dolphin for ARM is trying to support tons of hardware running on Android (phones, tablets, etc), whereas Pyra is one platform to target.

Thanks!

When the Pyra is out and good sold.
...then EvilDragon maybe build a newer CPU Board with a more rescent CPU.

Then we have:
-more Ram
-more Speed up to Octacore
-more rescent GPU because the GPU is inside the CPU

This is the Main Reason why EvilDragon developed the Pyra with an changeable CPU Board for us all.

You can Upgrade your Pyra in the Future and the GPU will be no more a Bottleneck :D

Oh wow. The GPU is in the CPU? I didn't know that. I guess future hardware could deliberately support OpenGL ES 3.0 in an effort to deliberately support Dolphin / GameCube.

There are YouTube videos of more modern phone hardware running Dolphin phenomenally well... namely the Samsung Galaxy S8. Here's hoping.

Mobile devices use so called "SOC"s = System On a Chip.
That means there's the CPU and GPU and anything else the manufacturer packs into it on a single Chip.
So the GPU is not exactly in the CPU.

It's very unlikely to run Dolphin with the current SOC as it is very old already.
But as IngoReis stated it's easy for the user to upgrade later if me will get a new SOC with more power and build a new CPU Board.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I got to thinking whether Dolphin (GameCube) could run well on Pyra. I did some of my own research, and learned that the Pyra graphics card only supports some features in OpenGL ES 3.0 and will most likely never fully support the library. Then I found this thread and Exophase's answers have been very helpful.

Here's what I'm thinking though. Some of the best emulators for Pandora are custom for the hardware, namely PicoDrive, gpSP, and DraStic. Also, PCSXreARMed is a port of a PC emulator optimized for ARM processors.

What I'm wondering is could Dolphin's graphics card code be optimized for Pyra's graphics card, like PCSXreARMed is optimized for ARM. It seems like the hard work has been done getting Dolphin to run on ARM, and the graphics card code is the bottleneck. Also, existing Dolphin for ARM is trying to support tons of hardware running on Android (phones, tablets, etc), whereas Pyra is one platform to target.

Thanks!
There is a fork of Dolphin for really old systems that simplifies a lot of the graphics code. But I can't remember the name of it.

The whole Pyra design will be opensourced, so hopefully some one will create a SoC board with newer SoC soon after Pyra release. Of course this someone will go through Ed shop for sell and distrubution. Would that work? Any legal issue?

i think ED will be the only one crazy enough to want to sell updated CPU boards...

but as they say, first things first...

I don't think so. If ED licenses the pinout and the spacing under CC-BY-SA then it might commit them to sublicensing their layout or something, but he's not decided on the licensing of that yet, so that can be considered and sorted out still.

I suspect technical issues might be more of an issue. They'll need to follow the process generally known as 'porting linux to it' or convince someone here to do it.

I think, a cup of tea is better than a cup of coffee. I mean, there are a lot kinds of coffee and some of them can be better, but instead of a normal cup of coffee, I prefer tea.

Also, will Pyra be able to emulate a cup of tea?

What about Yerba Mates? (pun intended :p)

PS: Hopefully it would be compatible with some graphics acceleration, or even better it gain CPU-Board with some amd64 SoC from AMD :) (seriously but it would need time anyway)

PS: Hopefully it would be compatible with some graphics acceleration, or even better it gain CPU-Board with some amd64 SoC from AMD :) (seriously but it would need time anyway)
I'd love to give you a witty and humorous answer, but I can't even understand what I said back then.

i think ED will be the only one crazy enough to want to sell updated CPU boards...

but as they say, first things first...

ED is also very OCD about the quality of the case and keymats for good reason. Design a shell once, sell one or two SoC upgrades, cheaper and less time consuming than doing it all over again -- just redesign the SoC board and done. Pyra's upgradeablility is what the "modular smartphone" wanted to be but couldn't be.

Yerba Mate totally overpowers the aroma of the Pandora. Also, Mate is drank boiling hot, which the Pandora never got... AND... if you passed the pava around (the cup made of a dried pumpkin, you were an [redacted] if you moved the bombilla (metal straw)... so it would be like using the Pandora without stylus). As the Pyra has more mass (but not enough to start nuclear fusion), we will have to see.

Spot the 5 differences (click to 'embiggen'):
onlytea.jpg onlytea2.jpg
[doublepost=1495380483,1495379696][/doublepost]A little break down:

Pu-Ehr tea. Black tea from China
Lung Ching - Green tea China
Corean Sempio Brown Rice Green Tea - Tastes like burned rice... an acquired taste actually, the more you drink it, the better it gets. Very popular.
Bangkok Tropical - Banana tea. Do you think of banana's when you hear Bangkok? Now you do.
Cape Town Honeybush - keeps you wanting more
HighTea - ya man, for real tea lovers, man.
Lipton Boldo - Peumus Boldus... a tree made tea, thus a treatee.
Pickwick Caramelized Pear - There is a reason nobody knows this awful taste. Smells good, tastes like coprolites.

Back