Game Pencil Engine for the OpenPandora

theweirdn8

Hello Pandorans,

The Open Pandora really led the way on the microconsole market, especially that of the handhelds.

So on that note, I will like to have my indie studio and hopefully other game developers have an easier experience creating games for the OpenPandora.

As an indie game developer, I feel there are tons of great indie games and apps that could reach the system if the process was a bit easier. Sure most people can just port things over to it using python or C/C++, but what about the scripters or people not as hardcore or just prefer to use pre-made engines? Also, there really aren't tools to simply do this for more casual developers as well as small indie teams.

So, I decided to build my own engine to fill in this gap. Currently I'm developing an engine that will help people create games in a simply, easy and dynamic manner. In 2012 my KickStarter campaign for my own RPG game was funded for $1,000 and I've used that small amount of funds to purchase graphic art and music. Now we've ran out of money and so I'm raising funds to finish this engine as well as our games to be ported over to the OpenPandora.

Currently, we have a Patreon Page up and if you can take a look. Consider backing the project. 

Also, if you are not fond of the monthly support, you can pre-order the engine via PayPal on our Software Page.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Let's reach the stars before they fall on us.

Sincerely,

Nathan Hurde

PawByte Founder

Last edited by a moderator:
What's wrong with existing engines and frameworks? There are lots of them. Many can also be used on other platforms.

There's a time and a situation for reinventing the wheel.

Do you have any references or past achievements to make me believe you can pull off anything like this? If you don't have something like this, you would need to become much, much, much more specific on why and how you think you can develop a revolutionary game engine, which is in some way better than the countless existing engines, if you want to have my support.

This might be my pessimism (I usually call it realism) again, but as you are asking for money, I feel I have the right to be sceptic.

By now, N8e has solid references to past non-achievements - Project after project that will be absolutely revolutionary, honestly, amazing! None of them brought to completion.

He isn't really trying to fool someone - He just has a very big gap between his enthusiasm and his ability to actually follow through.

Nate, do us all a favour and finish something. Anything.

Let me correct where this thread is going.

This engine is what the FoF local engine is built on.

$1000 just was not enough to fund FoF in general, but I did lots of budget cutting to make it more remotely possible.

To extend the engine to public use is what Im doing here.

While I have also noticed a significant number of unfinished (abandoned?) projects, I think you seem to be genuine in terms of your aspirations. Keep us updated with your progress. I appreciate your enthusiasm and will consider monetary support after my upcoming wedding is paid off.

There is only 2 projects open besides the Editor/Engine itself.

Fields of Fresh(Agriduel)

and

Underground Throne.

Am I missing something here?

There is a schedule for the completion of these projects.

Wasn't there a console project too? Underground Throne was the other project I was thinking of. Glad to hear it is still be worked on, as it sounds pretty cool!

Sorry if I came off as rude. You just have many irons in the furnace so to speak. Perhaps when a new one comes to my attention, I incorrectly assume that the previous project (such as UT) has been abandoned. Good luck on all your work, n8. I look forward to seeing the finished product.  :)

ROFL, the console thing was cancelled long ago.

Thus I'm more keen on simply supporting consoles like OUYA, Pandora and the GCW-Zero and hopefully one day macro-consoles.

Underground Throne is going to be made via this engine as well. Although it's gonna jump from 3d to 2d. :D

Sorry but you sound like Craig...
Not /that/ bad, but I wouldn't give him money unless he publicly gives me detailed specifications and a plan which describes how he thinks he can implement those specs.
UU7nvCP.jpg

What more do you wish to learn?
Is that question directed at me?Exactly what I asked for: detailed specifications and a plan detailing how you want to implement them. Maybe both in one document.

So a list of the minimum features, the structure of your engine (i.e. how you make those features play together, among other things). Detailed enough that a coder could implement all of it without having to think too much.

No marketing talk (substitute talk with an appropriate translation of "Gefasel" if you know one), facts, important facts.

I'm no professional coder (like you are, hopefully), but I think such a document should really be written when you want to start a business and work on a big project which will take you months full time. For one thing, you could use such a document to reasonably estimate time your project needs and thus cost you will need to raise.

This would prove to me that you aren't as naive as you seem to be and that you can really pull off a project like this; in the absence of a better proof.

I feel that this project will only support a couple of games where as SDL has been around for years and supports thousands of applications.

As T4b said you should do a business case, give us more details on what the project entails and less

I also don't think it's appropriate to pay you $25 a month for a 2 hour Skype conversation.. What are we going to converse if someone were just a customer who wanted to help a guy?

On the site you say "Our Games" but only have one listed. I feel that you'd need more than one game before you can get people to assist you and build customer relationships.

I'm also going to add: Pawning off others when you quit your job to go indie isn't really fair. You should have kept your job and continued to work on the project and used the iOS / Android App market place to sell your stuff BEFORE asking others for help. 

Sorry mate. For now I have no choice but to stick with trusted companies and people with a built up reputation.

Back