Game Pencil Engine for the OpenPandora

I just installed mediawiki, and I will begin editing it very soon.

Also, I was going to add Underground Throne(our 2D RTS game), but since the prototype is in 3d I did not want to show outdated gfx.

All in all, I will ammend the $25/month tier and continue to not make some "lame iOS/Android app" to continue to project.

Oh I just saw this gem (at http://www.pawbyte.com/go/game-pencil) :

Free Deluxe Super Developer
Price Free $15 $50
OpenPandora Export
(Through OP Community Assistance)
option_icon_cross.png

option_icon_check.png

option_icon_check.png

So you actually expect this community to :

1*) check if the guy asking for help porting to the pandora have paid to *you*.

2*) Help like a working guy if so

2b) Tell him to go f**k himself otherwise

Yeah right, that's definatly going to happen...

(PS: where's my share ?)

EDIT: formatting

Last edited by a moderator:
I can honestly port it by myself, it will just take longer and can save me the purchase of a Pandora to test it on...

I can honestly port it by myself, it will just take longer and can save me the purchase of a Pandora to test it on...
If you remember ported (more of a compile) a version for you a while back, if you want I can build it again. When i did it the first time it needed a lot of work to have some playable, is there more content that it would make sense to do it?

Well, you know, the problem is that you've talked about a lot of things that you want to do or intend to do or are going to start up or can do. And most of them really hasn't surfaced. You're very enthusiastic, and that is of course good, but after a while that enthusiasm needs to be complemented with results. And so far there is a lot of talk, and not a lot of results. 

If you can do something - Do that. Show us the result. Impress us. Or at least do as T4b said: Show us the plan to get there. 

I have been as brutally honest as possible here.

Also, the engine was ported to the GCW-Zero, another micro-console with Linux joys. Telling me to "show something" will kind of defeat the purpose of this thread. The thread is to raise support so we can even prioritize the OpenPandora over other systems.

Also, in the end it will still be untested without my own Pandora....

Sorry, but I don't get it. You have a GCW (?) and you know, how to compile stuff for it. Great! You use SDL. Even greater! The biggest difference between Pandora and GCW are (in the view of a game developer) the different screen sizes. Like the GCW the Pandora uses keyboard button mapping for game buttons and the analog stick is a "real" joystick. Furthermore the D-Pad is mapped as arrow keys, too. Your engine should just implement and abstract these simple differences for the end user and you are done.

Afaik there is even a windows built for the Pandora toolchain. But even if not, the GCW toolchain is Linux only atm, so no big difference, too.

So what is the problem to build without Pandora? I did this for years and it worked great, especially for making an engine. I added Pandora support to my engine, did some tests and that is was. Same for most other systems. I don't need to test my applications for every target, because all the linux openhandheld devices are very similar in the basic structure and I had to handle differences only once in the engine. The application doesn't matter. It links against libSparrow3D.so and everything is fine and abstracted in a well defined way.

So I don't see, why a possible buyer should ask the community for support? Your engine should handle this and the engine user should just be able to export to GCW, Pandora (and maybe Caanoo? Why don't you include it?).

Furthermore... What makes your engine special?

Create great games without coding!
How? What is the basic idea, concept of your engine? What does it different than the plenty gameMakers and Engines already existing? How do you make great games without coding?
All in One IDE

Minimize the Code

Maximize the fun!

Using our fast-tab system you're able to edit multiple resource types on the fly!
What does this mean? What is your fast-tab system? Every IDE I know is able to use tabs. Why is your system better?

Furthermore you wrote in another board

Sorry, the engine is a general engine. I'm currently using it to though to build my side-scrolling drama RPG; but the engine will support all genres and views(2d).
How do you you do this? And if you only support quite high end devices like the GCW, the Pandora or PCs (with Windows and Linux), why don't you support 3D graphics? There are so many 2D graphic engines outside... Why should people pay for your product and not e.g. for glBasic?

Your website is all in all quite vacuous and with that quite useless and does not help you getting funds for your work.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is that you want us to trust you with our money, in order for you to make stuff. You have asked for this before, and not delivered. When we say that you need to show something, then that does not mean you must show the finished thing, obviously, but you need to show something to build that trust. Things you have made before, for instance - So far, I've seen very little finished product from your earlier kickstarter, and there are other things you have been enthusiastic about (that console, for instance) that in the end just petered out into nothingness - or, barring finished product, something that makes us trust that you can deliver this time. That is, a spec of what you want to accomplish, a plan to get there, estimates and milestones - The general software development stuff.

If you do not understand what we mean when we say that, then that is a certain sign that we should not trust you with our money, because then you have no clue. Spoken with brutal honesty, that is. 

And, of course, all that Ziz said above. 

Yes, I did an article on that indeed,

But My laptop was stolen. I just lost months of work. Expect more delays. Sorry, I should've did better backups.

So, the engine may change slightly, it's going to take weeks to churn out the code I had previously.

Yes, I did an article on that indeed,

But My laptop was stolen. I just lost months of work. Expect more delays. Sorry, I should've did better backups.

So, the engine may change slightly, it's going to take weeks to churn out the code I had previously.
And you are not going to answer any of my or others questions?This is ridiculous...

(And that he didn't use any version control like svn or git doesn't speak for a good coding practice)
You don't know that for sure.
It could be that:

1) The repo host was on the laptop too

2) Git doesn't need a repo host (it's all local)

3) There is one, but changes hadn't been committed for a while.

There is nothing that makes us better than most engines besides our price is far lower than things like Unreal, Unity and GameMaker and me actually giving a darn about microconsoles.

Also, I do not have time to address captain hindsight. 

My laptop is gone and so is most of the IDE and some parts of the runner. 

There are not tons of engines for the GCW0 and Pandora; so that is the perk for people here. 

There isn't much that this engine does that others do not.

Sorry about the computer; man. It really sucks to be set back like that. Keep on working! I wouldn't be much help coding, but will certainly test or compile anything on my unit you want to throw at me.

Like Ziz was saying, once you can output for one open handheld, including the rest should be within your power. :)

Always nice to see new (and easy) ways to develop for the Pandora. :)

But I don't think there is really any lack of engines, we have more of a lack of potential users for them I think. (by that I mean we have a lot of devs with their own engine each and only a few using engines provided by others)

Especially if this is a pure 2D engine I think there are a lot of free (both price and code) alternatives around already, so charging money for this might not be the best idea imho ...

But I'm really interested how well this will work out.

Good luck :D

Back