Release Firefox 28.0 in repo

More bullshit from Mozilla: they have accepted to include their DRM in their browser, just to "do like everyone else" where they could have made a difference. 

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/05/mozilla-and-drm

Mozilla's really not the underdog it used to be. It does not stand for anything anymore. 
Sorry, I don't understand this.

What does that DRM affect?

EDIT: Did a little more research.

I think I understand now.

What are they doing?

Australis, and now this?

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: Did a little more research.
For those who are not aware, basically it will include a Adobe-created proprietary, closed-source binary in Firefox, to execute DRM-friendly code that the user will not be able to trace.

Netflix has already prepared such an implementation, and probably many other web services will follow. 

Mozilla is now taking part in breaking the web. Great job guys. 

More bullshit from Mozilla: they have accepted to include their DRM in their browser, just to "do like everyone else" where they could have made a difference. 

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/05/mozilla-and-drm

Mozilla's really not the underdog it used to be. It does not stand for anything anymore. 
I've read about that via the GoG-boards here

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/14/firefox-closed-source-drm-video-browser-cory-doctorow

and here

http://boingboing.net/2014/05/14/mozilla-breaks-our-hearts-add.html

It really is a shame, although not really surprising.

Hmm, I thought this will only be done if your browser history has not enough entries to fill the tiles on a new tab page (?)
 That may be the case (I heard something similar), though I have not seen any final details of the implementation. Has it been announced somewhere in more details?
Afaik there isn't any final decision on that subject. 
Mozilla is now taking part in breaking the web. Great job guys.
I don't like the decision too, but what would have been the alternative ?
Edit:

Thanks for the read

Guess I'll need to stop using the main firefox version, find a DRM less release and renounce to the websites that will oblige you to use the DRM...

I don't like the decision too, but what would have been the alternative ?
 Don't insert DRM in Firefox. Since there's a significant amount of Firefox users out there, the services would have been obliged to find a non-DRM solution.
Why should companies be obliged to do that? Do you honestly think that people would just not use the online video services ? Wouldn't it be more likely that they install a second brower in order to use that service - thus providing a foothold for Firefox competitors. After all, people are already used to DRM in other areas, look at origin/uplay/steam - its not that bad after all, isn't it ?

After all, people are already used to DRM in other areas, look at origin/uplay/steam - its not that bad after all, isn't it ?
So then why Firefox needs to have it too, if people can just live with having another browser installed ? Firefox was campaigning for Free-Web a couple of weeks ago, and now the embrace DRM ? WTF ?? What they say and do don't mean shit anymore, they completely destroyed their image and brand at once. 

And yes, it's bad to have DRM everywhere It does not bring ANY value to consumers/users. It's purely for publishers. In case you read the articles linked by the EFF in my earlier post, you'll understand why.

Note that Steam does not always use DRM, only for publishers that require it. Some games they distribute can be launched directly from their own folders without Steam.  

So then why Firefox needs to have it too, if people can just live with having another browser installed ? Firefox was campaigning for Free-Web a couple of weeks ago, and now the embrace DRM ? WTF ?? What they say and do don't mean shit anymore, they completely destroyed their image and brand at once.
Because they are afraid of loosing users. If they need to install another browser in order to use a certain functionality (and video on demand is currently the big thing) they may be inclined to change to the other browser completly.
Note that Steam does not always use DRM, only for publishers that require it. Some games they distribute can be launched directly from their own folders without Steam.
I know (no need to bring a steam debate in here), but you still need the steam client for the first download, or if you want to redownload it.

This is precisely what intelligence organizations have been pushing for. An easier, more stable backdoor into our PCs. Among others.

Another issue, might not be news, but hit me the first time with version 29. My Pandora started swapping like crazy after opening a new tab. A process named 'Browser' was trying to allocate a GB, fortunately having a swapfile on both cards made it bearable. It seems like it was trying to render the images for the new tab page from my recent history in parallel which unfortunately consisted mostly of GoG pages. After pinning only innocent static pages it seems to work ok now. Can this behavior be configured?

Firefox 30 is out :) .
Firefox is dead.
and on a new PC even 30x slower than the first Versions ^_^

Thats because the Version 30 = 30 Times slower and 30 Times more Memory Hungry and 30 Times bigger in the Downloadsize :rolleyes:

Edit: but i must say i use it even on the PC yet :rolleyes:

Am I reading this correctly, does this mean that because of the major browser makers giving in to the media conglomerates that the W3C will include DRM as part of the standards in HTML as well?

Only insomuch as they do already, I would suggest. The existing plugin system allows you to include DRM-entangled plugins like Flash, and invoke them using an HTML object tag.

In some ways, the new system is better in that, assuming Mozilla's black-sand box works, the new plugin (or codec, whatever) can only output video, whereas current plugins can do anything a computer program can.

Firefox 30 is out :) .
Firefox is dead.
and on a new PC even 30x slower than the first Versions ^_^

Thats because the Version 30 = 30 Times slower and 30 Times more Memory Hungry and 30 Times bigger in the Downloadsize :rolleyes:

Edit: but i must say i use it even on the PC 
What's the Problem?

Firefox is not dead.

It includes DRM in a Sandbox.

That's way better than what others do.

At least thea do  care about user security.

And resources?

I don't see any problem either.

My Laptop is more than 30 times faster than a computer 30 Years ago.

I don't care about thart either.

Only the RAM usage is too much for the Pandora.

But it won't be any issue on the Pyra any more.

Also Firefox has benefits for me (mostly plugins) othr browsers don't offer.

I still like it.

Back