Release Firefox 28.0 in repo

wow, version 29 is so bad it's astonishing.

The interface is crappy as hell, it's way slower than previous versions too and simply unusable on Pandora. Mozilla seriously messed up.
I agree. No idea why they removed the addon-bar, together with the "A better Firefox Addon-bar" addon you coul easily access your plugins and hide them when you didn't need them ... now it seems everything has to be up there with the other stuff, which sucks even more on a small screen like the Pandora.

About speed: I feel it just freezes longer before it decides to actually load a page.

Performance feels different, perhaps it refreshes less often during progressive rendering and therefore is slightly faster overall, but lags more visibly. Javascript performance seems to be similar (according to top still takes over 2 Minutes of CPU time - overclocked to 1.2GHz - to load my humble bundle library).

I would recommend the Classic Theme Restorer Add-On. It is actually recommended by Mozilla when you look for "where die my Add-On bar go?"

Even if you are happy with the new theme in general it gives you a lot of options to customize the theme, so it is better suited for the Pandora screen:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

(Doesn't seem to work with the "A Better Firefox Addon-Bar" Add-On though, but still ...)

About the performance: maybe loading websites still is the same, but I think it definately takes longer for Firefox to start and "do stuff".

By the way, almost forgot due to the shock of the new Theme:

Thanks for the update!!

Any expressed disappointment is due to Firefox itself. The actual port is fine, and I think we all appreciate the work behind it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would recommend the Classic Theme Restorer Add-On. It is actually recommended by Mozilla when you look for "where die my Add-On bar go?"
I did yesterday before posting my comment and it was still slow as hell anyway. It just makes the shitty interface a bit more bearable.

Any expressed disappointment is due to Firefox itself. The actual port is fine, and I think we all appreciate the work behind it!
Yes, that goes without saying. We all appreciate hdonk's work, it's just Mozilla we are bitching about.

I also dislike the way people feel the need to make UIs less space-efficient.

In its default state, FF29 has absolutely titantic menu icons

Luckily, you can readjust everything to be sane again, with menu entries one line of text high

I only use it in fullscreen mode to maximize vertical space, especially since it seems like I can no longer move the location box into the tab bar in the new version.

This version of FF is just "Hey let's be like Chrome" I'm sick of UI Design guys' necessity in trying to revolutionise interfaces... if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Yeah, Mozilla of late is just all about politics and nothing much about doing things sensibly anymore. I'm ready to jump ships as soon as there's another alternative.  

This version of FF is just "Hey let's be like Chrome" I'm sick of UI Design guys' necessity in trying to revolutionise interfaces... if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Yeah, Mozilla of late is just all about politics and nothing much about doing things sensibly anymore. I'm ready to jump ships as soon as there's another alternative.  
To be fair, at least  their politics are alright. Good on them for fighting (or trying) to restore what's left of net neutrality.

To be fair, at least  their politics are alright. Good on them for fighting (or trying) to restore what's left of net neutrality.
It's that they care too much about politics that I'm complaining about. 

I could not care less about Mozilla's campaign about net neutrality if they forgot to focus on what they should do best: a competitive browser without bloat. This 29th version goes against everything Mozilla used to stand for. I'm very, very disappointed. 

And they will include ads in new tabs from now on, as well. 

And they will include ads in new tabs from now on, as well.

I think they backed off of that stupid idea...
Nope. The media misunderstood. They confirmed they will do it.
And ? where is the matter ? the mozilla fundation is looking for money to be able to pay the devs making this awesome web browser.

If these ads doesnt allow advertizer (hint they wont) to track your browsing then where is the problem ?

If these ads doesnt allow advertizer (hint they wont) to track your browsing then where is the problem ?
I already use ad blockers everywhere, I don't want to see ads by default in my browser. And the outrage seems to be quite widespread.

If Mozilla needs to find money, they should start by not pissing off their users for starters.

Hmm, I thought this will only be done if your browser history has not enough entries to fill the tiles on a new tab page (?)
That may be the case (I heard something similar), though I have not seen any final details of the implementation. Has it been announced somewhere in more details?

Is Debians iceweasel using this stuff too? I hope not, since Debian is pretty hard about closed source and license limitations.

Back