Release Firefox 5.0

Firefox 5.0 work almost flawlesly, but i encountered this nasty error:

Code:
Secure Connection Failed

An error occured during a connection to www.google.com

security library: memory allocation failure.

(Error code: sec_error_no_memory).

I tried to reflash firmware to avoid wrong Firefox setup. But it didn't work and everytime i try to login to my gmail i end up with this error.

Chromium works just fine.

Any ideas what i messed up? :-D

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry can't answer your question joeblack but got a question of my own, anyone know where to locate the icon for firefox5 can't seem to find it in iconcache folder?

cheers

Firefox 5.0 work almost flawlesly, but i encountered this nasty error:

Code:
Secure Connection Failed

An error occured during a connection to www.google.com

security library: memory allocation failure.

(Error code: sec_error_no_memory).

I tried to reflash firmware to avoid wrong Firefox setup. But it didn't work and everytime i try to login to my gmail i end up with this error.

Chromium works just fine.

Any ideas what i messed up? :-D
Nothing! This has started happening to me - it didn't at first, so something somewhere has changed.

I just downloaded Firefox 5 from repo.openpandora.org this morning, and at first it seemed OK but then it just crashes a LOT, at random times. Sometimes it'll freeze for a few seconds then crash, sometimes it freezes for a few minutes and in that time nothing works - the start menu won't respond and the task manager doesn't appear. Once Firefox finally crashes, then the start menu and task manager suddenly pop up, so it's still picking up my inputs, just not doing anything with them until firefox is gone. On rare occasion, everything freezes completely (even the mouse cursor) and I have to hard rest using the Pandora button and the power switch.

Is this happening to anyone else? It even crashed once half way through this post.

Use a spare SD card and slaeshjag's swap tools utility.

Is that this:

It's the only topic that comes up when I search for swap tools utility except this one. The page isn't actually loading for me right now (another problem I have with my Pandora - some pages don't load and I just have to keep retrying over and over again till it loads).

Also it can't be out of memory, since it happens with no other apps open and only one tab open - google (I use google chat to talk to one friend). Weirdly enough, it seems more prone to crashing when I just leave it doing nothing, or when I have only one tab open and I'm using google chat. If I have two tabs open, one on google chat and one on any other site, it doesn't crash as much as if I have JUST google on...

The swap files tool is this one http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=swaptools-0.1-slaeshjag which will quickly make and activate a swap file for you, via a simple GUI and works well. It shows up under (menu>system>swap files ) if placed in pandora/menu. The SD Installer you had linked however, will also create a swap partition for you, during its creation of a bootable SD card, if you wish to go that route.

Either way should help with Firefox crashing from memory issues but you may also want to try a fresh download or deleting the appdata folder for it, incase something has corrupted and got crash happy for some other reason.

Also it can't be out of memory, since it happens with no other apps open and only one tab open - google (I use google chat to talk to one friend). Weirdly enough, it seems more prone to crashing when I just leave it doing nothing, or when I have only one tab open and I'm using google chat. If I have two tabs open, one on google chat and one on any other site, it doesn't crash as much as if I have JUST google on...
Have a look at the kernel log ("dmesg" in a terminal) - not shure if the OOM killer is active in the pandora kernel, but it should tell you when it kills a process. Don't know where you would find Firefox's message when it can't allocate any memory, except if you start it from a terminal.

Note that some common extensions like AdBlock or Ghostery use lots of memory for their blacklists - they're mostly not usable without swap. With just AdBlock I'm about 50MB into swap after a couple of minutes of using Firefox.

Having google chat open is not "doing nothing" from the browser perspective - it has to communicate constantly with the chat server, updating state data and parts of the page. That shurely uses up memory over time.

I have no clue how using swap, but now I know why Firefox is so slow. I use Adblock, I never thought that this little plugin needs so much RAM. :unsure: Is ther a way to fix this without Swap? I need adblock, no way to surf without so it would be nice to keep this addon.

Get a swap file. There's a utility on the repo (which is now back up) that makes it incredibly easy. Just make sure you have a separate SD card as cannon fodder, extended usage of swap files kills SD cards with all the writes.

I have no clue how using swap, but now I know why Firefox is so slow. I use Adblock, I never thought that this little plugin needs so much RAM. :unsure: Is ther a way to fix this without Swap? I need adblock, no way to surf without so it would be nice to keep this addon.
Today's ads are heavily relying on JavaScript, using NoScript is often already sufficient for a nice browsing experience. It might not be as efficient as AdBlock and it needs more user interaction, but as it's usually working with very small whitelists instead of huge blacklists it surely needs only very few RAM.

I just downloaded Firefox 5 from repo.openpandora.org this morning, and at first it seemed OK but then it just crashes a LOT, at random times. Sometimes it'll freeze for a few seconds then crash, sometimes it freezes for a few minutes and in that time nothing works - the start menu won't respond and the task manager doesn't appear. (...) I have to hard rest using the Pandora button and the power switch.

Is this happening to anyone else? It even crashed once half way through this post.

I've been using Firefox 4b10 for ages, with HF4 on my Pandora Nand, and it ran well with the odd crash. The behaviour you're describing has started happening frequently (with the same SD card with Firefox 4) for me when I'm running HF6a4 from the other SD slot instead.

I just downloaded Firefox 5 from repo.openpandora.org this morning, and at first it seemed OK but then it just crashes a LOT, at random times. Sometimes it'll freeze for a few seconds then crash, sometimes it freezes for a few minutes and in that time nothing works - the start menu won't respond and the task manager doesn't appear. (...) I have to hard rest using the Pandora button and the power switch.

I've been using Firefox 4b10 for ages, with HF4 on my Pandora Nand, and it ran well with the odd crash. The behaviour you're describing has started happening frequently (with the same SD card with Firefox 4) for me when I'm running HF6a4 from the other SD slot instead.

i am also using firefox 4b10, it feels more stable.

Would this out of ram workaround improve video playback content?

Thanks

i am also using firefox 4b10, it feels more stable.

Would this out of ram workaround improve video playback content?

Thanks

As I understand it, others may have a more comprehensive answer, a swapfile would help a bit - as would ramping up the cpu speed - but can take a toll on your SD card over time. If it's youtube stuff you're after, minitube is probably the best solution?

Back