Finished! (Well... the schematics, that is)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pyra will only be a speaker phone if you don't have a headset.. so no taco talking involved. Also there will be a wifi only model for those who don't need it or are too embarrassed by the phone features.
You're able to do taco talking, though, in one video ED shows you can have one speaker on your ear and the mic next to your mouth. Still looks silly.

When my Handy can play DS and Dreamcast games whit great controlls, and lots batterytime,

And it have a nice backlight keyboard

Than i dotnt bother if it looks silly to telefone whit it..

The Pyra will only be a speaker phone if you don't have a headset.. so no taco talking involved. Also there will be a wifi only model for those who don't need it or are too embarrassed by the phone features.
You're able to do taco talking, though, in one video ED shows you can have one speaker on your ear and the mic next to your mouth. Still looks silly.
But still not as silly as the NGage, and that WAS supposed to be a phone (unlike the Pyra :) )

Writing sms whit the Pyra Keyboard could be nice :)

I ditnt phone much, but why should i wear a Phone and a Pyra, if i also can use the Pyra as a Phone???

And for Fotos, i have a Foto Making Device..

I must have missed eds video with the phone thingie. I'll take a look...N-gageing thrusters captain...

The main point of the 'phone' version isnt to actually use your Pyra as a phone its for accessing the internet via your cellular network. I'm doing it right now but I'm tethered to my phone via wifi on my Pandora. Some data plans and providers don't actually let you tether though thats why having a 'phone' version is useful beyond just convenience. Its not really an ngage situation more of a Nokia N900 scenario where a computer can be considered a smartphone with a physical keyboard

^^^^Yeah, I know we can use a headset and with the right software the pyra can be used to make calls. I won't have any use for this feature but 4g and wi-fi i want.

N-pyra? Nah...just kidding.

Also there will be a wifi only model for those who don't need it or are too embarrassed by the phone features.
I don't want to criticise anyone.  Are there people that would skip the 3/4G version for this reason?  I never planned on using my Pyra to speak directly into only because it would irritate me to do so since it wasn't designed to aid in this use (taco talking and such).  I figured most people would want 3G or 4G for data, not voice (while I want it specifically for voice and messaging), but now I see that illuminatus85 already said that.

Also there will be a wifi only model for those who don't need it or are too embarrassed by the phone features.
I don't want to criticise anyone.  Are there people that would skip the 3/4G version for this reason?  I never planned on using my Pyra to speak directly into only because it would irritate me to do so since it wasn't designed to aid in this use (taco talking and such).  I figured most people would want 3G or 4G for data, not voice (while I want it specifically for voice and messaging), but now I see that illuminatus85 are already said that.
Want it for both data and voice.

I don't want to criticise anyone.  Are there people that would skip the 3/4G version for this reason?
sarcasm.png
<---

Well, I think it'll make a decent phone. I can carry headphones and just speak into the internal microphone.

I don't want to criticise anyone.  Are there people that would skip the 3/4G version for this reason?
sarcasm.png
<---
Perhaps I am overlooking the sarcasm this time.  Many people care a lot about how their actions and possessions are judged by others, and do some really stupid shit because of that.  My question still stands.  My guess is that most of those considering a Linux based gaming handheld that looks like a blocky knockoff of the early DS line might not mind using it for making calls.  It is hard for me to tell, since many people want to have the coolest new whatever (I think it is pretty obvious that at present the Pandora and Pyra don't have mainstream cool appeal, or something).  

I don't know.

Well, I think it'll make a decent phone. I can carry headphones and just speak into the internal microphone.
The headphone socket will support both standards (via a chip) of mobile phone handsfree kits. So you can use headphones with an inline microphone or a headset. You don't have to hold the pyra near your face unless you really want to.

What would be useful for people planning on using it as an actual phone is if it could make a noise through the speakers even if theres headphones in the socket when a call is recieved and to be able to answer it or hang up using the shoulder buttons. That way if you can carry it in your pocket with a headphone/mic set already plugged in and just pull those out and take a call without taking the entire unit out, plugging headphones in, opening it then accepting the call.

How many people here accept all calls?  Back when I had a leash like this I would only answer calls from certain people that might be trying to inform me of an emergency, or something very important that might require follow up questions.  I don't miss that, but it is probably going to become a requirement again soon.

Back