Finished! (Well... the schematics, that is)

There are two types of people who will be interested in purchasing prototypes.  Collectors and avid users.
I am a strange collector.  Nearly all of my collections are things I use or mess with.  I did get some Everdrives so I don't have to swap cartridges so often.  Even most of the toys and such that I "collect" are out of the package and played with.  Maybe I am not a collector.  I just don't see the point in having things I like if I am not going to use them.  I even handle my sculptures and other art.

My money is ready EvilDragon, my money is ready.
Mine is NOT, and I'd like to know how much the thinf is going to be, so I can budget for it. Hopefully an official price is announced BEFORE preordering starts.
It was assumed in the estimated price post that it might be between $600 to $700, so I have that amount in a savings account and haven't touched it since the announcement of the Pyra. Hopefully you will be able to buy it when it comes out :) I am rooting for you.

Im willing to invest into a prototype as an avid user. I have a well worn Pandora I use daily for typing. If the pyra ppicks up the slack with the internet I.E to be able to truly browse the internet and handle flash and youtube. If yes then it would completely replace my laptop. Then I'd be willing to jump in to help. After hearing the potential to maybe acquire a prototype I was hopeful to finally help a project I followed heavily yet never had any way of helping. So I'm a person who'd want a prototype to test in a real world environment. I'd gladly give feed back on anything I could.

My money is ready EvilDragon, my money is ready.
Mine is NOT, and I'd like to know how much the thinf is going to be, so I can budget for it. Hopefully an official price is announced BEFORE preordering starts.
Probably should budget for $700 ~ 600EUR.  It may be more or less, but that should put it in the ballpark.

Plus ED had mentioned before that there would be different models with different wireless (mobile phone) options resulting in different prices.

Regardless, you shouldn't need an 'exact' price in advance to budget it in.  You already know the relative range.

we need an oprah for this. right. now. ...PYRAS FOR EVERYBODY!!!

oprahbees.gif

Im willing to invest into a prototype as an avid user. I have a well worn Pandora I use daily for typing. If the pyra ppicks up the slack with the internet I.E to be able to truly browse the internet and handle flash and youtube. If yes then it would completely replace my laptop. Then I'd be willing to jump in to help. After hearing the potential to maybe acquire a prototype I was hopeful to finally help a project I followed heavily yet never had any way of helping. So I'm a person who'd want a prototype to test in a real world environment. I'd gladly give feed back on anything I could.
Well, the Pyra is not likely to be able to use Flash in any practical way, since the only Flash for Linux ARM (the one created for the Nokia N800/N900) is already well out of date, and there is no reason to expect a new version to be created (in fact there is no ARM version of Flash still being updated). However, since most YouTube videos will play with HTML 5, it should work pretty well with YouTube as long as 2D acceleration works well. Besides Firefox and Chrome (and other WebKit browsers), you could also of course use something like SMTube or MiniTube.

man children

:D

I probably won't be able to preorder in the next few months.  This timeline might be a promising sign for it being released by the date I guessed in the prediction thread, which will probably be a better time for me.

I'm really looking forward buying it but IIRC the exact way how it can be ordered (kickstarter?) wasn't revealed yet by ED?

I'm really looking forward buying it but IIRC the exact way how it can be ordered (kickstarter?) wasn't revealed yet by ED?
Not yet.  There have been a few suggestions that may help ED cash in on the initial madness via some kind of auction system.  Better the additional valuation of low serial numbers goes into his hands rather than an Ebay re-seller.

I'm thrilled to see that we might get 4G on day 1 units.  I have the 'new phone itch', don't care for the Galaxy Note 4 (Not waterproof (S5), Not USB 3.0 (Note 3) and not a real step forward in functionality).

So, are we there yet?

What about now?

Now?

First, I want to say I love the idea of Pandora and now Pyra which is a much more powerful version with more features. It's great to have all of my roms and emulators in one place other than my computer and have it portable. That being said this would need to be reasonably priced, "If enough people buy it" solely depends on your pricing because this is basically offering something we can already do on our phones just a better way of doing it and keeping it seperate from everything else.

I'm sure the pricing will be reasonable given production costs, operational costs and a modest profit. ED can't, however, sell it at the price any of the big hardware players would. It will be more expensive than big products with similar hardware.

Back