Finding a proper name and logo :)

My favorite is Pyrrha, the red-haired daughter of Pandora in Greek mythology. The name is derived from the greek word for "fire", so dragons are not far away.

It has relatively few Google hits, so that's nice too.

Only downside is the somewhat tricky spelling. It could be simplified though, to "Pyra" or something (let's say Pyra the dragon is the sister of Spyro the dragon).
Sounds logical (Daughter of Pandora). :) I also agree, the spelling is not that great for an "global" name, Pyra would be a good compromise.

However, I'm searching for a "stronger" name, someting like "Mustang"  sounds powerful for a car brand. "Dragon-Box" would be ok though, maybe to long but I guess "D-Box"  is not unique enough...

Following ingoreis idea, Dragoon. Can be cut into 'Goon.
"Dragoon" could work and the rugged edition of the device would be the "Panzer Dragoon". :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Pyrrha: Don't know what it is, don't know how to say it, don't know how to spell it... Three strikes

Ok, while I don't share the need to have a 'masculine' sounding name... (why exactly?)

Pandora certainly isn't masculine in any way you choose to look at it.

Here is something that is a bit similar to Myriad:

Panoply

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panoply

Because a panoply is a complete set of diverse components, the word panoply has come to refer to any complete or impressive collection, especially one of weaponry or where it is displayed, thus an arsenal or armory.
It has Pan in the name, linking it to the Pandora

You could modify the spelling to:

PanoplAy (Which sounds a bit cheesy to me, but it could grow on me just like Pandora did)

But honestly, Myriad sounds far nicer to me... it rolls off the tongue, has great meaning... and didn't sound like Myriam to me at least, but that's probably because I knew the word already. 

Other options:

OpenOdyssey, Myriad, Pandragon,  Dragonscale, OpenPhoenix, OpenLazarus, OpenFrontier, Valkyrie, Sparkbox, OpenPrometheus, Strawberry Tau,

DragonBox sounds a bit wierd though. The Pandora-like device is not a box, and it's basically just because you're linking it to the Pandora's box that you have this name. Wierd.

How about : DragonScale or something a little bit better with Dragon inside ?

Dragonheart.... that movie was horrible

EvilDragon: Do we want to keep the 'Open' eg: OpenDragonBox or just DragonBox?

Other options:

OpenOdyssey, Myriad, Pandragon,  Dragonscale, OpenPhoenix, OpenLazarus, OpenFrontier, Valkyrie, Sparkbox, OpenPrometheus, Strawberry Tau,
strawberry_dragon_by_dragontiger4477-d4sgm32.png

Why is dragonbox masculine? If anything its artistic and mythical.

A box is a machine running something, which makes it a something-box. One unix box, many unix boxen.

It could be dragonbox and then a codename for the version/revision/edition.

Myriad is a word already, that i know and use, cant really put it to use for a technology device.

Myriad.. thats a slick one!

Sparkbox definately out; would link too closely to 'spark fun' in my brain; they're quite a large name in the geek electronics/arduino/etc community.

jeff

I also kind of like the name "Hackberry Tau" (for max geek/hacker bonus points).

DragonBox is OK but it sounds a tiny bit childish to me.

I still like Pyrrha / Pyra (it makes me think of strong red-haired women of the "Lola Rennt" type).

Something Greek is always nice. So Myriad is OK too. Especially because IT'S OVER 9000!

Wikipedia said:
Myriad (Ancient Greek: μυριάς, myrias, pluralized as μυριάδες, myriades) is a classical Greek word for the number read as "ten thousand" in English. Similar to the use of 萬 or 万 in East Asian languages, it can also be used generically to denote any "numberless", "countless", or "infinite" large quantity.

Pyrrha sounds like a troll idea - first thing I thought of was the term pyrrhic victory (although Pyrrha is not to blame for that particular connotation).

Ok, while I don't share the need to have a 'masculine' sounding name... (why exactly?)
I don't think P2 will look very stylish and sophisticated, that is why more feminine mythical names like Pyrrha and Myriad might give the wrong impression.

DragonBox is OK but it sounds a tiny bit childish to me. 
What about Dracabox? Draca = Old English for Dragon

I just typed it in google and got 9 hits.

On the other hand I don't it is such a big deal, the name itself will not sell more P2's. Is playstation such a great name? Wii? PSP?

For me it's not only important to have a good sounding name.

Think about your every days life.

Imagine you're talking to someone and say:

"Hey, that's my xxxx"

"Here's the xxxx"

Also plural must sound good:

"How much xxxx do you have"

"Here are my two xxxx"

I don't like the "box" in dragonbox but it's good for the above criteria.

Do following with Myrida: Say the above sentences and replace xxxx with Myrida.

Does it sound good?

It sounds unfamiliar at first but I think we can get used to it as we did with Pandora.

Pyrrha is a good one.

My actual vote was on Pandorum (yes, after the film) but I guess that wont be considered..

Has anyone considered a logo which is just the name written in a nice way?

Like so:

8p3p.png

(Yes, I know its "myriad", but it looks better with two "I"s, its just an example ;) )

Or maybe a logo that is a condensed version of the letters of the name, e.g. for "Pyra" you could make something like this:

pyra.png

But I guess we should decide the name first and then worry about the logo.

My favorite is Pyrrha, the red-haired daughter of Pandora in Greek mythology. The name is derived from the greek word for "fire", so dragons are not far away.

It has relatively few Google hits, so that's nice too.

Only downside is the somewhat tricky spelling. It could be simplified though, to "Pyra" or something (let's say Pyra the dragon is the sister of Spyro the dragon).
Sounds logical (Daughter of Pandora). :) I also agree, the spelling is not that great for an "global" name, Pyra would be a good compromise.

However, I'm searching for a "stronger" name, someting like "Mustang" sounds powerful for a car brand. "Dragon-Box" would be ok though, maybe to long but I guess "D-Box" is not unique enough...

Following ingoreis idea, Dragoon. Can be cut into 'Goon.
"Dragoon" could work and the rugged edition of the device would be the "Panzer Dragoon". :D
www.youtube.com/watch?v=W55SaNuzcWo

Back