Finding a proper name and logo :)

Some kind of dragon head with some of the old box geometry.
dragon2.png
Switched at birth?

Transformers-Logo-Wallpapers.jpg

I don't really like the Pyragon logo - fonts from Binky. The P on its own is ok, and could maybe be a logo, but the total word seems a bit unprofessional. Already established fonts might be better for the name of the brand/company.   

^ I absolutely agree that the word as a whole could be significantly improved.

One problem with using a pre-existing font might be that I doubt (please check on this one!) you can trademark somebody else's publicly distributed work - If you can (again, I don't know here) then they probably want stiff royalties.

Yes, fontsets can be quite expensive. Not sure what the implications or costs are for using a commercial font set for a logo, but I am pretty sure there are good looking free alternatives as well. We just need to check the licence if it can be used for commercial use.

Lots of free fonts which can be used for logos and on commercial goods, like the one I used for dragonbox is. Just need to make sure yeah

Maybe it's just me, but dragonbox sounds a bit childish. Maybe that's just because dragontails is a childrens show, but like really, I understand the desire to have the word dragon in it, but I would tend to shy from it. I liked the name Myriad, just my opinion.

Another problem with dragonbox is that, on ebay, we may appear below "DragonballZ" or something. Myriad doesn't have any competition.

I don't get the eBay thing, how's that a problem?

Like if I search there for a new camera and type 'nikon', it might appear just under 'nike'? ...but I know I'm searching for Nikon, so what's the problem?

As for names of the successor though, I'm not too bothered, though the idea of using a mythological name to keep in theme with Pandora is quite a good idea I think.

Someone mentioned 'Envy', as that came from Pandora [on opening of the box]. Quite like the idea of that too

Why does using a name kept in theme with the previous device sound like a good idea?  There's lots of talk of trying to hold a connection or trying to sever all connections to the Pandora, but I don't think there's really any fun rule saying that this name should have any similarity to the last name.  I think that line of thought is why people are trying to name it drakon if not dragon, basing the name on a previous idea rather than simply from the device.

It may also sound nice to people who are imagining a long line of future products forever better and better than their last, and having a chain of related names, but I see that as a block, that chain would eventually run out of good links.

Last edited by a moderator:
What did people think of this btw?

ah6k.png

I can pretty it up with nice gradients and bubble effects if you want ;)
I like that.

Here's another variant.  Not too sure what I think of it!

Not so clear that it's a "P", but logos don't have to be obvious.

pyragon.png

Why does using a name kept in theme with the previous device sound like a good idea?  There's lots of talk of trying to hold a connection or trying to sever all connections to the Pandora, but I don't think there's really any fun rule saying that this name should have any similarity to the last name.  I think that line of thought is why people are trying to name it drakon if not dragon, basing the name on a previous idea rather than simply from the device.

It may also sound nice to people who are imagining a long line of future products forever better and better than their last, and having a chain of related names, but I see that as a block, that chain would eventually run out of good links.

Erm..  I think I get the gist of what you are saying but not all of that makes sense.

There is nothing about the word Dragon that derives from the original Pandora.

Given that ED is building his business around this, I think it does make sense for him to establish a brand which he can use for this and future products, (which may or may not have anything to do with the pandora or its successors)  and given that he's already got a shop called DragonBox  it makes sense to build the brand around that.   

He could also for example, sell re-badged SD cards under the DragonBox name and logo.

Regarding the naming of the specific device,  I think it does make sense to derive inspiration from  the naming of it's predecessor. 

It also makes sense not to restrict the naming criteria based on such a link,  but I haven't really seen that as an issue so far...   One of the more popular suggested names (Myriad) has no link back to "Pandora" at all.

- Neelix

On a lot of forums, I think you'll find that the Pandora doesn't have the best reputation, largely because of the problems early on with preorders. It was my feeling that linking it back to the Pandora might not be the best thing. We wouldn't want people to ignore the product because they saw the name Pandora and remembered the problems it had early on.

We wouldn't want people to ignore the product because they saw the name Pandora and remembered the problems it had early on.
Definitely agree here and that's what companies do after a huge screw-up: they usually change name. It would be wise to do the same thing here, especially since the team working on the successor isn't exactly the same as the Pandora one. 

Well yeah...  Isn't the whole point of this thread to help ED choose a new name and new logo to go with the new device? 

That doesn't change the fact that the new device is the successor to the Pandora, and anyone doing their research is going to find that out pretty quickly,  so there is no point trying to hide that fact, and an attempt to do so would look dishonest. 

On the other hand there's nothing wrong with ED branching out on his own (as it were) and establishing a new brand,  which is exactly what this thread is for.   Shall we get back to it?

- Neelix

I'm in favor of having a subtle reference to the Pandora in the name of its successor. People will find out about the ancestry anyway, and it's not an ancestry to be ashamed of - at least not for ED and the community. We should be proud of it instead.

I think that it is better to have a subtle reference than an immediately obvious one. "Pyragon" is a good name, "Pandora II" not so much. After all, it will be a completely new device (not just one component updated like with the 1GHz units), designed by a different team, planned without Craig. So the name should be sufficiently different to reflect those changes.

Back