Even more to see here (now)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@azouls do you have something like these "Yellow Bags" whe have in Germany, also in Greece ??, Whe make everything that is Plastic, or Foil, or other things that can be recycled, in a Yellow Bag, and one day, they take these, and bring them to Recycle Factorys..
At least thats the "Best Case" Scenario,
In worst case, they put the Bags in an big oven to make electrical energie because its quite divicult to recycle the Garbage in the Yellow Bags..

I am not throwing plastics that i cannot use in a garbage. There is a companie here who takes that plastic to recycle them . No monney profit from it. But a healthy profit for the environment . Also you will probably know allready but this videos explains very good how plastic is in our life

I am not throwing plastics that i cannot use in a garbage. There is a companie here who takes that plastic to recycle them . No monney profit from it. But a healthy profit for the environment . Also you will probably know allready but this videos explains very good how plastic is in our life
I love that channel :).

Also its always helpful to recycle. It doesn't give a monetary gain, but damn, it isn't like it cost either, and its so much more sustainable.

For those interested, booting without a battery works (my charger circuit was damaged but is now repaired). I have also implemented fast charge configuration in the bootloader so it can charge at 2A immediately. The bootloader updates will be released soon, and the charging software will be updated in the kernel as well. Just to alleviate some concerns some had. No hardware change should be required.

i have done that and it really doesnt makes any problem .The movement the shoulder button does is very small and will not make any problem with the cable !!! about the rework you are asking it is in very critical place that might destroy the mold and the risk is very high. But aint about changing it ,is about that it really doesnt makes any problems to risk it .Trust ED about it .
Fingers crossed. €500+ device...

I have also implemented fast charge configuration in the bootloader so it can charge at 2A immediately.
I like to make myself belief, I treat my batteries exemplarily. Would it be feasable to make it charge at 1 A normally, but at 2 A when one presses some button while connecting the hot wire? If not, nevermind.

I like to make myself belief, I treat my batteries exemplarily. Would it be feasable to make it charge at 1 A normally, but at 2 A when one presses some button while connecting the hot wire? If not, nevermind.
The current setting is a limit. If the source cannot supply 2A, it will not use 2A. The charging current supplied is (should be) negotiated via USB 2.0 protocol between the bq24 and the charger. If the charger is “dumb” and just supplies current, there are hardware stipulations in the spec that the charger is meant to abide by. If it does not, then the bq24 enters a fault condition and will not charge the battery using this source.

Worst case for you, the device is fully open source and you can modify the bootloader and kernel device tree as you please to impose a 1A limit :). Hacking guides to come!

If the charger is “dumb” and just supplies current, there are hardware stipulations in the spec that the charger is meant to abide by. If it does not, then the bq24 enters a fault condition and will not charge the battery using this source.
I think all the chargers I have are dumb. My 500mA ones predate the power delivery spec I think, and I have one that can spit out 2.1A but having had the lid off it I'm pretty sure it's just a plain switched mode power supply with probably a simple current limit implemented using a transistor. No chips, and I don't think the data lanes are even connected to anything.

I assume what you mean by the hardware stipulations are things like it being able to provide a steady current with minimal ripple, but in case not, what sort of things are you talking about? If my 2.1A wall wort won't do it, then I might be short a usable charger.

In worst case, they put the Bags in an big oven to make electrical energie because its quite divicult to recycle the Garbage in the Yellow Bags..
In the past I worked in a place where they processed trash for energy. I was process operator and we often sat in the control room where we had screens were we could see all kinds of trash being thrown together to be burned. One day, they replaced our trash bins with ones that had like 6 different spaces or so so we could separate our trash. It was hilarious. Who were they trying to fool? We saw all the trash being thrown together every day at work! Obviously our company did not care about separating trash.

IMO it's just a big pupet show were I live. I do not even know why they bother.

I assume what you mean by the hardware stipulations are things like it being able to provide a steady current with minimal ripple, but in case not, what sort of things are you talking about? If my 2.1A wall wort won't do it, then I might be short a usable charger.

That means it is probably configured as a DCP device, which does not perform any communication over USB but shorts together D+/D- to inform the host that it is a wall charger. You can learn more here.

https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/design/technical-documents/tutorials/4/4803.html#3

Does the battery charge fully now and does it show proper charge value in the OS ?

Does the battery charge fully now and does it show proper charge value in the OS ?
Working on this next. Got a start on this a month or so ago, but haven't been able to get very far until now. The kernel needs a new driver for this, so I'll be starting work on this probably next week once the bootloader appears stable.

@ToastBucket Damn, it's like talking to women. :) First and formost my question was meant just the way I phrased it. Iff it could easily be done, then my question might also imply, that I'd like for you or someone else capable to consider to do so.

That the charger and the chargee and thermodynamics will each impose a limit on the current, that the lowest limit goes, and that the standard provides a protocol to negotiate a current, which either one may or may not have implemented, I am aware of. What I know little of are the technical details of booting, embedded systems and hacking my way around and through them. (To me everything's an embedded system, that doesn't give me locally the option to choose from which device to load a bootloader. The Pyra doesn't offer that option, does it? See I don't even know that.)

@ToastBucket Damn, it's like talking to women. :) First and formost my question was meant just the way I phrased it. Iff it could easily be done, then my question might also imply, that I'd like for you or someone else capable to consider to do so.

That the charger and the chargee and thermodynamics will each impose a limit on the current, that the lowest limit goes, and that the standard provides a protocol to negotiate a current, which either one may or may not have implemented, I am aware of. What I know little of are the technical details of booting, embedded systems and hacking my way around and through them. (To me everything's an embedded system, that doesn't give me locally the option to choose from which device to load a bootloader. The Pyra doesn't offer that option, does it? See I don't even know that.)

Sure I can do so, but there has to be a default. Currently the default is 2A because that's what ED asked for and I don't see any reason why that should be an issue currently (in terms of compliance and hardware damage). I'm not going to change the default to 1A because one person wants it, but if it is decided from a technical perspective as the right choice, or by the community as the desired choice, it will change. If a user (ie you) wants/needs something that is not the same, all source code is available and I have created a build system which is capable of easily rebuilding the OS with one command. The build system is not complete yet, but it does have the capability of building the bootloader already and instructions on how to do so. With regards to modifying the sources to do what you want, just because you don't know how to do that does not mean that you will not be able to. I am starting work on hacking guides that instruct you and others on how to do things such as this. The Pyra is open source. Don't like it as its shipped? Change it! Don't know how to change it? Learn! One of my primary goals with this project is to make that last step as easy as possible ;)

I have a 6000mah Powerbank in my Pockets, which have an Output of 2A, (its a good one from Anker), so this means when my Pyra is empty, i could just put any USB C Cable in the Pyra and in the USB2 Port of the Powerbank and then Recharge my Pyra on the Go ??
Its dosnt matter for me which Type the Power Input Port of the Pyra is, because i have a Universal Adapter Cable whit USB C, Micro USB, and Lightning (and normal USB on the other Side)..

And the Multiport USB Charger, i have on my PC Desctop, also from Anker should also be 2A, i succesfully charged allready my Switch, GPD Win, and some Iphone/Android Phones ..
will i need anything special for the Pyra?

2A charging current won't be a problem. The Pyra's battery is 6000mAh (6Ah). Most lithium batteries have what's called a C rating, there will be one for charging current, and one for discharge current. To convert a C rating to an actual current, you simply take the capacity of the battery. In the case of our Pyra's 6Ah battery, 1C would be 6A, 10C would be 60A, 0.1C would be 0.6A, etc. Almost every lithium cell I've come across has at least a 1C rating for charge current, but charging them at 0.5C does put less stress on them. So, with a 2A charge current, we would be charging the battery at 0.3C. Even though 2A seems like a high current, to the battery, it really isn't that much, and the battery will be just fine.

Now, if you really want to prolong the life of a lithium battery, you limit it's maximum and minimum charge voltage. Lithium cells cannot go above 4.2V, and cannot go below 3.0V (unless the data sheet says otherwise, I've seen some cells say 2.8V). Those are the absolute minimums and maximums, and while the battery will be just fine going to those voltages, it'll be happier if you don't go quite so close. Having a min/max voltage of say, 3.1V and 4.1V, will ease the stress of the battery by quite a bit. Of course, this reduces your capacity a bit (one company I did a job interview for found that 4.165V was a happy medium between capacity, and battery lifetime).

@ToastBucket is it possible to manually set the min/max charge voltages? (of course this would have to be done with extreme caution, as accidentally setting the voltage too high or low will damage the battery)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back