Even more to see here (now)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully the Charger Software can be fixed whitout changing the Hardware..
Ditnt sound that great..
Sounds to me like we haven't tried all of the configuration options yet, and it might be one of those that affects this. The CPU is spinning up and drawing current, so electrically it all looks pretty damn good to me, it's just a matter of software, only it's software that runs even before the kernel has spun up, so it's pretty esoteric knowledge.

Reactions: rSl
No one needs a replaceble battery any more. Cell chemestry has gotten better over the past few years. Also the battery management has improved and the battery failure rate has decreased over the years. I say 90% of the people use their laptop 3 to 5 years (Smartphones 2 to 3 years) and only a few want it to use longer. So why adding extra cost or extra weight for a replacable battery for 90% of the users? Makes no sense.

Sounds great so far azouls,
Hopefully the Charger Software can be fixed whitout changing the Hardware..
Ditnt sound that great..
This should be possible. From my analysis of the hardware, it should by default allow for the 500mA limit. My HW just wasn’t behaving this way. I’ve been working with HNS to try and find out what the reason for this is. Turns out my charging circuit was damaged in a few ways either by production error or by my error (it’s definitely damaged now by my error after trying to fix it :)). Once I get my charge circuit fixed, I’ll be working on some test scripts to improve testing of the charge HW before the units go out as well as improving support for the charger chips in the bootloader to better handle booting. This should all be ready by the time mass production units go out.

Correct me if I’m wrong here, @EvilDragon, but this charger issue and the audio chip issue are the only ones that are crucial in getting fixed before mass production. The rest of the outstanding issues are easily updatable from package updates.
[doublepost=1568394901,1568393503][/doublepost]
Sounds to me like we haven't tried all of the configuration options yet, and it might be one of those that affects this. The CPU is spinning up and drawing current, so electrically it all looks pretty damn good to me, it's just a matter of software, only it's software that runs even before the kernel has spun up, so it's pretty esoteric knowledge.
No I haven’t yet. Power management is always a difficult thing to handle on devices like this. The processor has to come up as minimally as possible and be able to properly configure the various power chips before enabling internal cores and external peripherals. However if cores or peripherals are enabled too early, the hardware could be damaged or get stuck in a boot loop. Similarly if the main ARM core (which will be executing the code which brings up the rest of the system) does not have the power it needs, it won’t be able to bring up the rest of the system.

I haven’t been able to get the ARM core to come up without help from the battery, however, ED has. If we can run stably in the bootloader with no battery, we can fully boot with no battery. I just need to get a fully functioning charge circuit going to get this SW flushed out. :)

Well, not every laptop, some of the really expensive ones still have removable batteries, the system 76 Serval WS has a removable battery for example but it's also a $2000 USD laptop.

Wait, System 76 Serval WS... that's a rebranded Clevo P775TM1-G. I hate it when Clevo resellers don't mention the base model.

So this guys charge you an extra 500$-1000$ (over other resellers... not counting the OEM W10 license others offer) for pre-installing a Linux distro on a Clevo notebook? that's... interesting

Anyway, what's the point on booting the Pyra without a battery?

From the top of my dome, I'd say redundancy, so that you can still use the device in case your battery got stolen - to contact the police for instance.
[doublepost=1568397358,1568397088][/doublepost]I myself value that kind of robustness, since I plan to replace my phone with the Pyra. And, for the Pyra is actually a Linux device and from a design perspective it should be much more useful than that Android brick lying here, so I expect myself to actually use it for things. ;)

In case the battery is 100% drained and cannot boot it? Doesn't the system need to be powered on in order to activate the charge circuit and charging software? Most cell phones have a secondary OS sitting behind the scenes to handle battery charging when, 'off'.

Use as a set-top-box. No need for a battery on a unit that can run on mains all the time. Connect up the HDMI, connect a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, surf the web and whatnot on a Pyra from your couch.

Use as a router. Hook up a USB 3.0 hub and a few USB 3 Gigabit network adapters... OK, its a rather expensive device to do this to.

But, it's a general purpose Linux computer that happens to have great game controls, etc... It can do a lot of these 'leave in one place attached to mains' jobs too. At one time I think ED was selling Pandoras without displays for this type of purpose. No real reason not to create similar animals using Pyra hardware.

Wait, System 76 Serval WS... that's a rebranded Clevo P775TM1-G. I hate it when Clevo resellers don't mention the base model.

So this guys charge you an extra 500$-1000$ (over other resellers... not counting the OEM W10 license others offer) for pre-installing a Linux distro on a Clevo notebook? that's... interesting

They also do bios edits (remove the Intel Management Engine for example) and they also must have something else customised because people have reported running the system 76 driver ppa on a stock unit doesn't work. My laptop actually only cost $200 above stock, and I don't mind paying that for a laptop that is guaranteed to just work.

*Edit* forgot to mention, my laptop is not the Serval WS

In case the battery is 100% drained and cannot boot it? Doesn't the system need to be powered on in order to activate the charge circuit and charging software? Most cell phones have a secondary OS sitting behind the scenes to handle battery charging when, 'off'.

No. Almost any device I know (except for the GPD Pocket 2 it seems, and maybe some other GPD devices) can completely charge without any software. The Pyra even charges when no CPU board is attached :)

If a battery is fully drained (can happen if a device crashes in suspend and draws power until there's non left), the software won't be able to boot. So it charges slowly until there's enough power. Then it boots the software which enables fast charging again.

This works on the Pandora, the Pyra and almost any smartphone.

At least two of my customers had the issue that their GPD Pocket 2 froze in suspend mode, the battery ran dry and now it's not possible to resurrect it (except for charging the battery manually outside the device).

If a battery is fully drained (can happen if a device crashes in suspend and draws power until there's non left)
Hmmm, to me, I always understood "Suspend" to be link Windows' Hibernate, where it writes the system state to disk, then powers off. Reloading the state when powering back on.
I did have several times where my Pandora was in "Sleep" mode, and it ran out of battery, because it wasn't running the battery monitor checks.

Most laptops I've used with Windows, when put to "Sleep" would automatically Hibernate if the power got too low. Will this be possible on the Pyra?

Hmmm, to me, I always understood "Suspend" to be link Windows' Hibernate, where it writes the system state to disk, then powers off. Reloading the state when powering back on.
I did have several times where my Pandora was in "Sleep" mode, and it ran out of battery, because it wasn't running the battery monitor checks.

Most laptops I've used with Windows, when put to "Sleep" would automatically Hibernate if the power got too low. Will this be possible on the Pyra?
Certainly in the early days of suspending and sleeping when you often had to trust to luck as to whether your system would come back after either happened, it was possible for a device to crash while it was trying to write its RAM to disc and end up in a zombie state just draining power.

They also do bios edits (remove the Intel Management Engine for example) and they also must have something else customised because people have reported running the system 76 driver ppa on a stock unit doesn't work. My laptop actually only cost $200 above stock, and I don't mind paying that for a laptop that is guaranteed to just work.

*Edit* forgot to mention, my laptop is not the Serval WS

Well I find that quite fishy.

Clevo's P775TM1-G is supposed to offer:
->Overclocking through software (intel XTU).
->Support for Sound Blaster X Pro-Gaming 360º.
->ESS SABRE HiFi DAC.
->Area Fingerprint on the touchpad.

But I see no mention to those on System's notebook. So they support Clevo's hardware on Linux by scrapping those features which are not supported on Linux by default? (you really end up with a notebook with a high quality hifi DAC that serves as ballast for the motherboard??). Fishy fishy... :oops:

I would have expected them to write a patch for those things to work on Linux (or them to write some software so you could OC on Linux), that's what I call to support something.

At least two of my customers had the issue that their GPD Pocket 2 froze in suspend mode, the battery ran dry and now it's not possible to resurrect it (except for charging the battery manually outside the device).

Wow LiPo batteries are quite dangerous to charge when over-discharged... That natural tendency of theirs to self igniting...

Well I find that quite fishy.

Clevo's P775TM1-G is supposed to offer:
->Overclocking through software (intel XTU).
->Support for Sound Blaster X Pro-Gaming 360º.
->ESS SABRE HiFi DAC.
->Area Fingerprint on the touchpad.

But I see no mention to those on System's notebook. So they support Clevo's hardware on Linux by scrapping those features which are not supported on Linux by default? (you really end up with a notebook with a high quality hifi DAC that serves as ballast for the motherboard??). Fishy fishy... :oops:

I would have expected them to write a patch for those things to work on Linux (or them to write some software so you could OC on Linux), that's what I call to support something.

Wow LiPo batteries are quite dangerous to charge when over-discharged... That natural tendency of theirs to self igniting...

My version of the Oryx Pro advertised the HiFi dac right on it's product page, the fingerprint reader is physically not there on my unit but they had a how to set it up page for the newer units that did have one, and I don't know if by overclocking you mean Intel Turbo boost but if so mine came with that enabled out of the box, I disabled it because I prefer my computer to run less than 80 Celsius. Mine has the sticker for the 360 sound blaster gaming audio and an option in the audio settings for 4.1 audio but I keep it disabled because it sounds off to me, I'm not convinced it's 100% working.

*edit* fixed typo

Reactions: RZR

Usually, LiPo batteries used in consumer electronics have a protection circuit included in the battery (Pandora and Pyra has and all GPD products probably as well, as they have small PCBs wrapped into the batteries).

They shut off when the battery gets too low and then it provides 0V until it has been recharged to a certain level.
But that won't work if the device doesn't charge it then.

Good morning all . We are finishing with Black color in 3 hours. We had an issue with Dark red color. The First red color we took it looks more like brown so i dint like it and ordered an other RED color from Plastika Kritis but it will take 3 weeks to get it so i found an other Red color from a friendly companie but wasnt for PC so it burns the color and makes it more like orange.So we will move forward to finish the black ones and i will send to ED ,Blue Grey and Black Till we get a new Dark red color from Plastika Kritis. The Color and item that Says (1) its the First that looks more like brown, The color and item that says (2) its the red that burns and becomes orange.

Attachments

• Color red 1.JPG
    Color red 1.JPG
    550.7 KB · Views: 498
  • Color Red 2.JPG
    Color Red 2.JPG
    721.8 KB · Views: 513
  • DSC_0712.JPG
    DSC_0712.JPG
    831 KB · Views: 532
  • DSC_0713.JPG
    DSC_0713.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 513
  • DSC_0714.JPG
    DSC_0714.JPG
    515.3 KB · Views: 523
  • DSC_0716.JPG
    DSC_0716.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 522
  • Item red 1.JPG
    Item red 1.JPG
    384.8 KB · Views: 732
  • Item red 2.JPG
    Item red 2.JPG
    871.6 KB · Views: 731
It doesn't look too bad, that brown... Still no plans for cream/white though? I just read in the mailing list that the Pyra is a little furnace and will especially overheat in sun light etc. In which case a light colored case would be preferable. ;)

We all know that the Pyra is a big piece of heating furnace.

This makes problems if the battery temperature goes beyond
60°C (even 50 isn't good) and if the OMAP5 goes beyond 100°C
(internally).

ED has invested a lot of time & work into designing a cooling
system to better distribute heat and get it out of the
plastics case.

While this improves the situation significantly we can't
guarantee that it does not overheat for example if the
Pyra is sitting in the Sahara (or Arizona) in the bright
sun...

What happes on my Usecase: Pyra in Standbye Mode sitting in a Pocket of a Workpants ?? I know the Pandora ditnt made lots of Heat, but the Pyra is a bit more powerfull..
So i think it will get at least Body Temperature, ..

Should i let open the zipper a bit to make shure heat from the Pyra CPU in Low Power Mode can get out of my Pockets ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back