Even more to see here (now)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks indeed very close, but to me it doesn't look like it's in a position where it's possible for it to make contact with the cable unless it breaks loose.

Does it rub against the cable when the button is depressed?

One tip, the charging software is one of the most broken things (and my top priority). So if your battery is fully discharged, you likely will struggle to charge the battery. If you can't get it to boot into the kernel (where it ups the charge current, bootloader can't do this yet), just unplug it and open the back panel and pop out the CPU board. Let it charge for a good amount of time before you put it back together. This is currently the safest way to charge while not booted.

Can Pyra boot without battery ? If yes is it possible to boot pyra on AC and then insert battery while connected to power ?

There arend any Syringes or other Drug Things on my Table, just my usual mess of things, like Multitools, TV IR Controller,
Mybe you mean the RC Modell Screwdriver, thats looks a bit like a Syring, but it isnt.. (ditnt look this morning on the Picture, but if its a Blue Thing, than its the Screwdriver..

Not sure if it's possible on the Pyra but on the Pandora that's a no-go and will severely damage the charging circuit.
Well just to clear this up a little, the Pandora could run just fine without a battery, but as you said inserting the battery while running on AC would indeed likely cause some damage.

As for the Pyra, time will see, it's setup a bit different. But still I suspect it wouldn't be a good idea to swap batteries while operating.

Well just to clear this up a little, the Pandora could run just fine without a battery, but as you said inserting the battery while running on AC would indeed likely cause some damage

That sounds like a pretty normal risk. Don't think there's any device I have where that might be a good idea.

Notebooks.
Depends on the notebook, many like Lenovos are designed for it, while some don't, they either have batteries that require opening the casing to get to or have mechanisms that require you to unplug the laptop to switch out the battery.

This is just a short answer - I have a pretty complex video to edit which will go on air on Sunday. This wasn't planned and came in with a pretty short deadline, so it keeps me busy for 14 hours a day at the moment.

The feeding for one mould has been changed as it left plastic behind that we needed to manually cut.
It can't be fully fixed but at least only a little bit needs to be cut now:

the part that needs to be cut is that on the inside or the outside of the upper bottom part?

It can't? The Palmas chip is supposed to be able to scavenge power from almost anywhere and direct it to the CPU I thought. That was one of the design intentions of the Pyra, so if it's not working now, it sounds like a bug to me.

It can't? The Palmas chip is supposed to be able to scavenge power from almost anywhere and direct it to the CPU I thought. That was one of the design intentions of the Pyra, so if it's not working now, it sounds like a bug to me.

The problem is not with the PALMAS, it’s with the battery charger. By default it limits current to 100mA. The hardware allows for an increase to 500mA but this isn’t being enabled for some reason. I’m currently investigating why this is happening and working on a fix. Right now the Pyra draws 480 in the bootloader, so 500 is enough to get past the boot stage where the full limit of 2A can be asserted.

ED I do have a couple notes about the shoulder buttons. You may have already thought of this, but the right shoulder button seems pretty close to the LCD cable and I’m worried it might damage it with excessive shoulder button usage.

No, that shouldn't happen. It's close but the movement on the shoulder button is so small, it shouldn't really damage the cable. Additionally (as you can see on your pictures), the part where the shoulder button touches the LCD cable is ground - and that's a pretty wide trace, it shouldn't break that easily :)

Also the shoulder button spring mod works really well, but it would be good to have a little nub poking out where the spring meets the case that it can wrap around (like the smaller shoulder buttons, but on the main case). Just so they don’t pop out of place.

Sadly, that's not easily possible. Adding pegs sideways means you need to create an additional tool that's being put into the mould. It would be easy 3D printing that, but not easy with mould injection.

One tip, the charging software is one of the most broken things (and my top priority). So if your battery is fully discharged, you likely will struggle to charge the battery. If you can't get it to boot into the kernel (where it ups the charge current, bootloader can't do this yet), just unplug it and open the back panel and pop out the CPU board. Let it charge for a good amount of time before you put it back together. This is currently the safest way to charge while not booted.

Well, there is an easy way: Boot into U-Boot and run a power off from there :)
It's only possible with a serial out connection at the moment.

But I've never had problems booting into U-Boot to power it off. Easier than opening the unit :D

Can Pyra boot without battery ? If yes is it possible to boot pyra on AC and then insert battery while connected to power ?

The final version should be able to do that, yes. The charger chip also supports disconnecting and reconnecting a battery while the unit is powered on, it even can remember various charging curves for different batteries (not sure how that works, maybe the battery needs a serial number for that which we don't have).
At the moment, the software setup for the charger isn't properly done, but in the end, it should work.

The problem is not with the PALMAS, it’s with the battery charger. By default it limits current to 100mA. The hardware allows for an increase to 500mA but this isn’t being enabled for some reason. I’m currently investigating why this is happening and working on a fix. Right now the Pyra draws 480 in the bootloader, so 500 is enough to get past the boot stage where the full limit of 2A can be asserted.

Hm? I never had any issues running the bootloader without a battery - at least the one that has the parameter set to set it 500mA.
The only issue was when I tried to continue to boot without a battery.

But the bootloader works fine for my (at least last time I tried).

Hm? I never had any issues running the bootloader without a battery - at least the one that has the parameter set to set it 500mA.
The only issue was when I tried to continue to boot without a battery.

But the bootloader works fine for my (at least last time I tried).

This is probably part of my charger chip issues then :) I’m currently going through the power management schematic with HNS.

the part that needs to be cut is that on the inside or the outside of the upper bottom part?
Look at the picture of the bottom upper mould posted by EvilDragon. There's a circle/heart around the bit that need to be removed manually after moulding the plastic in there; it's around the injection hole aka. the left nub hole. Looks to me like someone was using a forstner bit to shorten the pipe and went too deep before backing it out, although to be fair it could be almost anything fairly sharp that went in there at an acute angle.

Depends on the notebook, many like Lenovos are designed for it, while some don't, they either have batteries that require opening the casing to get to or have mechanisms that require you to unplug the laptop to switch out the battery.

Surely it depends on the notebook, but every one I owned allowed me to do that. A I-don't-really-remember-the-unknown-brand Pentium 2 with Aladdin chipset and Neomagic VGA, an IBM Thinkpad A30, an Amilo/Fujitsu-Siemens barebone Athlon 64 from 2004, and my trusty but-not-really-since-nowadays-it's-too-buggy-due-to-GPU-solder-migration Sony Vaio SR21M from 2009.

But I see where you're coming from: in 2019, every single notebook has an internal and unchangeable battery, so they don't even need to support a dynamic use case...

And now I'm sad.

Reactions: ___
But I see where you're coming from: in 2019, every single notebook has an internal and unchangeable battery, so they don't even need to support a dynamic use case...

And now I'm sad.
Well, not every laptop, some of the really expensive ones still have removable batteries, the system 76 Serval WS has a removable battery for example but it's also a $2000 USD laptop.

Hello eveybody. Tommorow we will continue with the Black and Red color . Today in 1 hour we will do some samples from the Keyboard mold cause we changed the feeding again. I will try to upload some fotos tommorow when we finish . Monday i will send all the samples to ED .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back