Even more to see here (now)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm... The shoulder buttons on the right (left of the image) look like they fit much better than the ones on the left. Is that an illusion?
Looks to me like the buttons on the left of image fit better than the right.
That's what i said. I think. It's what I meant, anyway!
But they're different for sure, I think the pivot on one of them is slightly off kilter, but to me as long as it works fine it's within tolerance in terms of the appearance.
Yes, better for them to have a bit of play in them, than for them to bind against each other. And with a bit of play, how they sit in their sockets at any given moment probably depends on chance to some extent.

Looks to me like the buttons on the left of image fit better than the right. But they're different for sure, I think the pivot on one of them is slightly off kilter, but to me as long as it works fine it's within tolerance in terms of the appearance.

They work fine, might be shadow from the flash that makes them look a bit weird.
And they're moving parts - so they never are in the exact same position.

Edit: And I guess how well they work depends on the board being fixed in place properly using pegs that go through the holes in the PCB. Can @EvilDragon confirm that issue has been sorted?

Yes and no. Not all pegs could be fixed, but some give the PCB proper support now. We tried multiple boards and cases and the shoulder buttons all worked fine and assembly was good as well with all of them.

So it works - even the metal plate for cooling works fine :)

Oh: we'll probably get air vents in the are where the heatsink is (where both USB ports sit).
It would even be possible to hack a small 12mm fan in there that sucks the air through the heatsink to the outside.
So if somebody wants to do that, he can!

[doublepost=1563573879][/doublepost]Also, in this image I note two pips on one edge of the lid. Were the screws you were using to secure the lid slightly too long perchance?

Yep, I didn't have the correct screws with me :D

Just looked at the 3D photos (using a Valve Index) and whew, these actually look really good! The depth is a bit odd in DSCF4087 with the thingy on the left side and seems to be inverted entirely on DSCF4116.
The rest is fine though. I've used a Pyra a couple of times before, but these closeups with the intense depth effect are pretty cool to look at.

Wouldn't mind having more of these in the future to be honest.

"Oh !! You have a Nintendo DS !!"
"It's not a NDS, it's a computer"
"But it's the same as Nintendo DS !!"
"No, this has a keyboard... and just one display..."
"But it's the same !! THE SAME !!!"
"..."

"But what can you do with it?"

"Anything you can do with a regular computer"

What is that white space around D-Pad ? It looks like white keymat is showing it's face, is this due to mismatch between sizes of DPad and the hole in the case ?

dsc03644-jpg.32661

What is that white space around D-Pad ? It looks like white keymat is showing it's face, is this due to mismatch between sizes of DPad and the hole in the case ?[/IMG]
Certainly I took it to be the keymat showing through. I'm not sure the hole can be made much tighter around the d-pad otherwise it'll tend to jam in there as you tilt is side to side. Personally, I like the contrast of a white ring around a black d-pad, although I may have to revisit that appreciation when I see it in a darker case.

What is that white space around D-Pad ? It looks like white keymat is showing it's face, is this due to mismatch between sizes of DPad and the hole in the case ?

dsc03644-jpg.32661
Actually, that's the result of another fuckup... when receiving the first keymat samples, I noticed that the DPad is not centered but a bit off. And while using it, it kept touching one side of the hole.
So we made the DPad smaller, to make sure it doesn't touch the case.

But I was puzzled - the 3D printed cases were fine, only the real ones didn't match. So after a lot of back and forth the old company acknowledged the mould wasn't properly produced and therefore it was off by 0.3mm.

They were somehow able to fix that (usually, you'd have to redo one side of the mould in that case), but now the DPad is smaller for that reason as it could've been.

Actually, while using the unit, it doesn't look that bad. The keys have a white surrounding, the DPad now has one as well. And it's also illuminated when you switch on the backlight.

Changing the DPad back to a bigger size would've triggered costs of around 5k EUR, so we kept it this way, as it's no real issue (no one noticed that last year at Gamescom) and physically, it works fine.

It does seem a pain with the molds, especially as once they have been cut out, it seems impossible to fill them back in again.

Looks fine to me though, and if anyone comments it simply will add to the conversation (as part of the rich history of Pyra's development) ;)

And it's also illuminated when you switch on the backlight.
Have LEDs been added for that at some point? Since that was not the case for the unit and main board showcased at last year's Gamescom. I know that Pyra was far from the current revision at the time, but not sure about the board.
Unless you mean it does light up purely from reflection of the other backlights... which wasn't really well visible in the exhibition hall then.

(no one noticed that last year at Gamescom)
I wouldn't say I didn't. But knowing the keymat in that unit not being the current revision to begin with made me not question it. I don't think its DPAD worked that well either, iirc.
It's not really an issue, though.

And some of you asked whether it will be possible to get the keymat only partly printed (without the letters).
And: Yes, that it possible! We will receive 100 of those blank keymats, so you can do your own experiments with them.

We'll also sell spare keycaps in case you lose one during disassembly :)

Yay! What's better than a Keyboard thread ? A keyboard DIY kit !!!

That's great news (and the rest too). I think a custom keyboard can do wonders for usability.

Just looked at the 3D photos (using a Valve Index) and whew, these actually look really good! The depth is a bit odd in DSCF4087 with the thingy on the left side and seems to be inverted entirely on DSCF4116.
The rest is fine though. I've used a Pyra a couple of times before, but these closeups with the intense depth effect are pretty cool to look at.

Wouldn't mind having more of these in the future to be honest.

I posted 3D pics of the Pyra years ago :D
Forgot where though... maybe I can find them.

I don't mind the grey color. Can we get some light and dark purple accent buttons to go with it ;)

I posted 3D pics of the Pyra years ago :D
Forgot where though... maybe I can find them.

I think I did so to.
You can convert MPO to JPS as alternatives to VR and use cross-eye to view them, so you don't need any equipment at all (does strain your eyes though).
JPS can also viewed as animated GIF or with those red-blue glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back