Even more to see here (now)

Discussion in 'Pyra News' started by EvilDragon, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Swordfish II

Swordfish II Very Active Member

Greek retirement is also earlier than German retirement. Which is why the German people were not happy with the Greek bailout.

The Greeks basically spend money left and right.

2. ClockworkCoder

ClockworkCoder Chaotic Neutral

I'm living in the wrong country.

3. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

Mostly companies with machines. It gets too hot. You don't want to work there.

azouls, gunrock, rSl and 3 others like this.
  4. ClockworkCoder

ClockworkCoder Chaotic Neutral

I guess the air conditioning costs would be astronomical too.

Could be like that in most countries in a few years... (but I digress)

Anyway, I'm still really appreciative to @azouls and co for their very hard work. Even with a long holiday, they've improved the cases a massive amount, and also saved us from an otherwise untenable situation (with the previous company), and still will deliver extremely quickly. They more than deserve the rest, and to stay cool :cool:

Swordfish II and NetBLOKS like this.
  5. fusion_power

fusion_power Advanced Member

Well, I indeed can't stand heat much, so I could probably not work there for sure. ^^
    Same with working in a Steel Factory, it's really hot in there. We have one here near by but they never close actualy. ;)

6. matzesu

matzesu Hardcore Member

Whe should move the whole Case Factory on my Workplace:
    It’s a old sandstone Building where you didn’t need a Airconditioner to have pretty cool temperatures even if it’s 38 *C outside, but on the other side: it’s pretty hard to make it’s warm in winter
    I have vacation in November, so this should fit whit the Massproduktion and the arrival of my Unit..

rSl likes this.
  7. Djoga'Ro

Djoga'Ro moonstruck

I'm pretty sure the firm closing during August means employer-prescribed holidays counted against the employee's quota, not additional holidays. I myself prefer more individual freedom in that regard. ;)

tarator and ___ like this.
  8. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

These types of companies also need some time to take all the machines offline to clean/lubricate/rebuild/maintain them. There are big moving parts involved and it makes more sense to take the whole place down for scheduled maintenance than it does to 'run it until something breaks' and have a month of unscheduled downtime while the mold crane (or some such critical infrastructure) gets fixed.

CommanderB, ___, spud42 and 1 other person like this.
  9. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

I remember Swedes I was working with in software engineering mostly took August off. I thought most of Europe did to be honest. Of course, the office didn't close then, but it was hard to get hold of anyone who knew anything around then.

Machine firms here used to have set fortnights allocated depending on the city or area they were in, ISTR, to avoid flooding the roads and boarding houses around the country with holidaymakers from everywhere. That was in the days before cheap air fares though, so more people holidayed in this country, and often in the very same seaside town as their neighbours.

10. Lambda

Lambda Active Member

That is a good idea but less portable. I guess that the GC controller just cannot be fully replaced. It is a pretty amazing controller.

11. MTPDA

MTPDA Still Fresh

Yeah, it's good enough that Nintendo still makes new versions of it, apparently there's one for the switch, probably for Super Smash Bros.

12. mati

mati Member

Since there seems to be no dedicated gamescom thread yet, I ask here: will it be possible to buy Pyra merchandise (coffee mug!) at gamescom?

13. Serenity

Serenity Member

Thank you for the video, EvilDragon.

Are you satisfied with the quality of the parts?

14. matzesu

matzesu Hardcore Member

As far i can remember: the Quality was allready better than the Pandora Cases from the Chinese Case Factory,
    Only some Discolorations, but they working on this issues..

Also when i look on my Pandora, after these long time in my Pokets: its still works fine, only its dosnt look that good anymore due to the Scratched Paint..

NetBLOKS and ClockworkCoder like this.
  15. NetBLOKS

NetBLOKS Finally on-board

Just take a look at the Planet Cosmos thread:
    My Gemini is falling apart after one year of use.
    I would not want to miss it, but I am really looking forward to the build quality of the Pyra!

pengo and eric like this.
  16. JDTAY

JDTAY Half Pepperoni, All Cheese

Wow, only an hour until the Gamescom Opening Night Live stream, and there's still no Gamescom thread.

I guess the stream's not that important. I mean, they only booked 2K, Activision, Bandai Namco, Bungie, Capcom, EA, Epic, Google, Microsoft, Sega, Square Enix, Sony, THQ, Ubisoft, and Hideo Kojima to make announcements during it. Next time they need to get a power player like ED. ;)
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 19, 2019, Original Post Date: Aug 19, 2019 ---
    https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/gamescom-2019.83759/

There's our Gamescom thread, courtesy of TeDaDeS.

Djoga'Ro likes this.
  17. eric

eric Member

My 6-7 year old Pandora is in better shape than my 1 year old Gemini. And I don't even use the Gemini as much as I used to use the Pandora.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

pengo and ClockworkCoder like this.
  18. Serenity

Serenity Member

I don't mean the color. That, he said in the video, shall be not a problem and for testing the dimension, it's enough.
    I am more worried about the gab between two parts:

Depends on the quality, you want to reach, the gab may be good or bad. Also, it can be fixed by the screws, which he maybe assembles very quick. I don't know, so I am just asking.

At this hardware, if it costs between 100-200€, I would think "Nevermind, it has an attractive price and it works!". But for 600€, I think a little bit different.

yes and my nokia 3310 also looks really like new, but it doesn't work anymore. In that case, I would say, that Gemini don't care much about quality (and I also don't know Gemini).
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 20, 2019, Original Post Date: Aug 20, 2019 ---
    One addition thing: I don't know, how he can do it better and cheaper. I would suggest to print it trough a 3D printer (because I am currently working for a company, who build such printers for the industry, which generate amazing quality results), but it's to expensive for him and I don't know, how good are the cheaper ones.

Maybe I am just complaining, sorry for that. I am just following the development of the pyra to get an imagination about the complexity to develop such a handheld nearly alone. My respect for that, that he still believes in his vision / product.

Xcl4m4t10n likes this.
  19. fusion_power

fusion_power Advanced Member

I'm worried about the fitting too. And I wonder why there are rounded edges between the case parts, where no rounded edges are supposed to be, weird. For the fact that they tinkered years onto the molds, it actualy doesn't look that satisfying. Rather cheap.

ThinkPad likes this.
  20. FBnil

FBnil Ready to Champion the Pyra to the World...

With long gaps of time of not working on the molds.... until it was brought across the street.
    I get what you are saying, but at our price-point and time, this is the best we can get. With materials that are not as brittle as the predecessor.
    The Pandora had gaps too.
    You know what I want? an elongated rubber you can stick to the back to protect the connectors. And that handmade? metallic logo.

Eight Bit likes this.