EpicGames Client ?? What do you think about it ?

PowerGod

Forum Addict!
Hi, I just found out this store called "EpicGames", where it is told that every 2 weeks they will give a game for free (for now there is "Subnautica" that I find pretty charming), but there's a catch, seems like you'll need to download their client... and I can't find many information about how it works...

So, does anyone actually uses it ? What do you think about it ?
It is just used for download, or more as a DRM platform (mainly like STEAM) ?

Thanks

...not

I mean, seems an interesting project, but still it requires the original store client installed in case of STEAM, and it doesn't have Epic Games listed, so the question about how that client works is still open...

Every sigle review I found just speaks about Fortnite... how bad it is or how good it is or what issues Fortnite have...

The only information that I got it's that seems that Epic Games has the client for a lot of OS including Android... and also that the store uses some kind of virtual money that you have to get in order to buy things

EpicGames is a store just like Steam. The 'Store War" has begun, with store fighting to get title by reducing the percentage they keep for themselfs (EpicGame takes only 12%, and Steam conter-attack lattely by reducing its marging for large grossing sales title), and they also fight to get a big user-base; EpicGames offer free games...
For the record, last year UbiSoft did something similar by offering a free game every month for their anniversary. So there was a lot of "cherry picker" (me included), but I don't think that radicaly changed the sales on uplay client (because Ubi soft title are still sales on Steam)... If you are not afraid of a new DRM-loaded client, go cherry pick (next free game is Super Meat Boy I think).

EpicGames is a store just like Steam. The 'Store War" has begun, with store fighting to get title by reducing the percentage they keep for themselfs (EpicGame takes only 12%, and Steam conter-attack lattely by reducing its marging for large grossing sales title), and they also fight to get a big user-base; EpicGames offer free games...
For the record, last year UbiSoft did something similar by offering a free game every month for their anniversary. So there was a lot of "cherry picker" (me included), but I don't think that radicaly changed the sales on uplay client (because Ubi soft title are still sales on Steam)... If you are not afraid of a new DRM-loaded client, go cherry pick (next free game is Super Meat Boy I think).

Thank you, now everything is clear

No linux client, no linux games, means I'm not interested at all. I mean, I signed up and added Subnautica to my account 'cause it was free, but there are more than enough really good Linux games on Steam now to keep me entertained for the rest of my life that I don't feel any need to install yet-another storefront.

I have a Windows partition just for games, Origin also doesn't work under Linux (so does Gog's client but you can manually download games).
Having Steam under Linux makes it easy, I don't have to reboot.
Not having Linux games is not a big problem for me but I notice I play them a lot less compared to once that do work under Linux.

FWIW, just because it seems you hadn't heard of them before, Epic was a quite famous game studio around 10-20 years ago, and they're apparently famous these days for developing and publishing Fortnite, but I wouldn't know much about that kind of thing. They're also mostly responsible for the phenomenon of CliffyB if that means anything to you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Games

According to that link, it's basically the same thing as Steam/GoG/Humblestore but charges less than Steam. I don't know off-hand what the others charge, and presumably this doesn't have the anti-DRM stance that GoG usually applies (after a bit of nagging these days, admittedly).

Interesting, I remember "Epic Megagames", but didn't know was the same thing... looking at the games they released seems like I never played anyone of their games after name-change (1999).

I really don't like how seems that store is prone to "exclusivity"... I hate exclusivity... except maybe on a store like GOG

(I wonder why that wiki page didn't popped up in all my searches... o_O)

Discord is joining in too :(

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/12/d...et-another-pc-game-launcher/#article-comments

From the Discord CEO

“Players really want to have one library — one place to manage their games. Unfortunately, because existing stores charge 30% per sale, developers are creating their own platforms to avoid this fee. We totally understand that developers are tired of sharing profits. And yes, we are aware that Discord is another launcher but we truly want to fix this problem for players and avoid this. We want less launchers and more cooperation and I believe Discord can create this environment.”

standards.png

One thing that would be nice is something like the Gamehub thing, but multiplatform.

One thing that would be nice is something like the Gamehub thing, but multiplatform.

I suppose that interfaces like KODI or EmulationStation could be used for this purpose, them are both pretty configurable for many uses.

The main issues, excluding DRM things (that are the worse), are the multiplayer protocols needed by the different stores... I'm mainly a single player, but I tried some games while online, and mainly STEAM games have most of the user base there, where in comparison the same games on GOG have the servers empty... and there's no way (as far as I know) to make a GOG game play in the same servers of the same game on STEAM...

If there was some kind of standard protocol and shared servers between all stores, then the situation could be much better...

I find GOG Galaxy pretty useful just as a launcher and updater, also because it's not so invasive... you can install a game through the client, then uninstall the client, and the game still works by itself (without anyway online capabilities), but stil the client lacks some functionalities that STEAM already have, for example to ADD external games not related to the store.
So, I can add all my GOG games to the STEAM client, but I can't do the reverse thing (also because DRM in this case)
The GOG-Connect thing, where you can get for free the GOG games you already have on STEAM, become useful there... but still there's the multiplayer issue...

I think it was Notch who said once that he wished store fronts where more like web browsers in that there was more than one to choose from but they all can access the same content. GameHub looks pretty interesting, I'll definitely try it once I get my desktop working again.

I read on Reddit that Subnautica, because it's DRM free, can be launched even without the EpicGames client !!
By default the link that appears after the download will start the client before the game, but if you go to the game folder you can run it directly by it's executable

EDIT:
Ok, I subscribed... and these are things that I'm noticing:

1) When you add the game, before you confirm, there's an "unchecked" paragraph that speaks about the commercial use of your email... well, you should "check" it !!
Because it doesn't ask you to give them the permission, it asks to "don't" give them the permission...

2) The client seems starting by default in a "BETA" stage... but in the options, there's a button to deactivate the BETA and restart with the normal client...

3) Their servers are DAMN slow right now... just to update the client (138MB) required almost 30 minutes... and now downloading the 6 GB of Subnautica will require at least a week of constant connection at this speed...

EDIT:
I'm looking around how the client works... and I'm pretty sure that this is more similar to the GOG client than the STEAM one...

Last edited:
Not having Linux games is not a big problem for me
It's not so much that it's a problem not having them, it's that I realized that so many games come out every year, and that my backlog is so vast as it is, that I have to find artificial ways of limiting what I can allow myself to want to play. I'm going to be playing Linux games on Steam until I die and still only scratch the surface of even the best ones.

Steam was so nice.
There was everything on it.
Hopefully there won't be multiple platforms in a few years.

It's not so much that it's a problem not having them, it's that I realized that so many games come out every year, and that my backlog is so vast as it is, that I have to find artificial ways of limiting what I can allow myself to want to play. I'm going to be playing Linux games on Steam until I die and still only scratch the surface of even the best ones.

Its sad because it's true :(

For now I had to remove 7 games from my GOG wishlist, because I got them on EpicGames for free

Back