Best Email Client

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
I'm looking to change from outlook express here at gp2x hq to something else as outlook seems to fall over when you have 10's of thousands of emails.

I tried Thunderbird and... well... it is without doubt the worst mail client i've ever used. It is dangerously unfinished.

Opera mail seemed better but misses serious options.

I'm mainly looking for an option to automatically delete emails with attachments to the junk folder. Amazingly thunderbird and opera mail cannot do this. Outlook has always been able to.

So, what are all the cool kids using these days?

I've been playing around with the new Yahoo Email Beta, its got some useful functions like RSS for me, and I think it can do what you're asking. Although I'm not sure if its scalable for '000s of emails.

I know in corporate circles you're either with Outlook or Lotus Notes. There doesnt seem to be any other alternative to this.

Ximian Evolution is very much like outlook express. It is available for Linux, I don't know if they have one for windows. It is open source.

edit: Novell is looking into making a Windows version of Evolution soon.

Hanz™ posted on Mar 16 2006 at 09:04 AM said:
Outlook 2003 is nice.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's what I've installed on the network at work. It normally comes with the office suite.

If you really are recieving thousands of emails weekly it's probably worth getting a server running Exchange. Of course this will cost quite a lot more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Outlook is what we have here at my work and its shit. It won't work for Craig.

For whatever reason, Outlook has a maximum saved email space of like 1.3 gig, even in personal folders. I know because i've crashed mine last week. I save every email i get at work, i had like 20,000 and finally it put me over the limit last week and I was forced to delete to make room. So with the amount of email Craig probably gets and if he needs to save them all he definetly needs something other than Outlook.

But I can't suggest anything, i've never used anything other than Outlook for professional email service.

Dunno what its like now, but Pegasus mail was always good when i was in Uni. Seems like its still being updated. May be worth checking out? I'm on the mac, so I cant tell you, cos there aint a mac version :) Its been around forever, so is as stable as hell...

Its free, so take a look.......

Pegasus Mail

Eudora was always damn good. I haven't used it for a while though as I run Exchange 2003 at work.

It used to have a free basic version too IIRC.

A quick scan of the site mentions instant searching of 300,000 emails so it handles lagre inboxes too :)

craigix posted on Mar 16 2006 at 05:29 AM said:
I'm looking to change from outlook express here at gp2x hq to something else as outlook seems to fall over when you have 10's of thousands of emails.

I tried Thunderbird and... well... it is without doubt the worst mail client i've ever used. It is dangerously unfinished.

Opera mail seemed better but misses serious options.

I'm mainly looking for an option to automatically delete emails with attachments to the junk folder. Amazingly thunderbird and opera mail cannot do this. Outlook has always been able to.

So, what are all the cool kids using these days?
Haha, just don't use it for the coding compo emails!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thunderbird is horrible, I must admit. I love Firefox, but if I accidentally click the Thunderbird icon, it slowly murders my computer.

Odd, I use Thunderbird with very good results... granted, my needs are almost certainly different than yours... it pulls emails from about 5 different accounts and a few RSS feeds with no trouble, and I have around 50,000 emails total in old folders.

For the sake of clarity,
Thunderbird Release Notes

"Thunderbird 1.5 introduces several new features ...... support for deleting attachments from email messages.......

My needs are also different from Craigix's so I have limited suggestions based on experience but I figured that point needed rectifying.

Chimpoid

<note>Craigix, while you're cleaning out the closet how about getting rid of protx. It's the only reason I don't shop at gbax.com</note>

gmail
lol
rocks, 2.6gb storage space and still slowly climbing.
You have to be invited to gmail though so PM me if you want me to send you an invite.

GMail invites are about as exlusive as winter hats in Canada.

- Alex

Thunderbird may well be able to delete attachments (not that i can find that option) but i want to delete the whole email - almost all emails with attachments are viruses or spam.

And what is wrong with protx? In my view it is the only simple credit card processor, no nonsence and no fees or % charges. At first I hated coding the gateway but now it works I can see how simple it is and I like it afterall.

Worldpay is god awful and crazily expensive (it is actually more expensive than paypal!)

What would you suggest?

-Craig

Generally I find that Thunderbird's SPAM filter is good enough that I don't need to block messages on account of them having/not having attachments. It has _never_ made a false positive, and recently I've never had more than one spam message get into my mailbox. You do have to have some patience though, since it's builtin spam ruleset is fairly undescriptive, you have to give it a week or so to learn.

I know what you mean about protx being simple craigix. I did some emergency work on a client site that used protx a year ago.
The issue I have is that as you say, it's "no nonsense, no fees etc." but it's also no security. It allows credit/debit card details to be stored online without encryption. The shock I got when working on the clients site was that customers details (prior) to verification were all stored unencypted in a bog standard mysql databse which the retailer had full access to. That's full contact details, card number, dates, and the 3 digit security code. All sitting there for the taking. These details are only cleared after verification.
I guess my take is that a system should take details and verify immediately or it should kill the transaction and inform the client that the payment could not be verified.
A client could just as easily phone yourselves and give details over the phone with a CNP transaction, as I'm sure you have done in the past, in that instance though the client relies on trust in yourself as a retailer and assume that their details will be used to run the transaction and then destroyed.
In the case of stored details you have an issue wherein despite best practice details are stored in a manner which opens up possibilities for exploitation by unknown users who you have not given your trust to and this could be avoided by simply not storing the details.

To sum up why I dislike Protx. I looked at their system and was shown full details of someone's credit card, address, etc. I would hate to think that my card was open to the same type treatment.

Worldpay, Paypal etc. are more expensive but in the case of someone like Worldpay you are getting a more secure and trusted service (at a premium) The cost includes a valuable (perceived or otherwise) amount of trust that you can pass on to your customers. Rather like airbags in cars. As a consumer I want on that works and provides safety at a reasonable cost rather than a cheaper one that offers limited safety at a reduced cost. It's down to the retailer to decide which option he uses but the end result also directly affects the consumer.

With reference to Paypal, I know they are considered foul and unholy but there's no small amount of "social inertia" there. They used to be bad as they were one of the first names to "make it big". As a result of repeated kickings in the cyberpress (yuck) they now go twice as far as the competition to compensate for their (perhaps undeserved) reputation.

My advice as a consumer would be to use worldpay, the api is straighforward and there is a recognised name with a guarantee of good practice. Factor the extra cost against the price of the goods.
I would rather buy from yourselves and pay a small amount more to ensure fast delivery and your level of service. You have good ties with the community and are more than just a "fair-weather friend" to console sales. Perhaps I could buy from asia and get a bag of sweets, however I am pretty sure that with gbax I will be guaranteed good service, and good advice. That is worth the extra money in my book and I'm sure a lot of people in the "scene" would agree :) Let's face it, there aren't many dedicated retailers who take such an active part in the community, post firmware updates, etc.

With ref: to thunderbird, my apologies. I figured that removing the attachments itself would have sufficed. Receiving the mail (minus the attachment) allows you to blacklist appropriately and also catch mail from people who have inadvertently attached something (winmail.dat, "this email has been scanned and is virus free" notices etc.)

Back