EpicGames Client ?? What do you think about it ?

Discussion in 'Offtopic Discussions' started by PowerGod, Dec 15, 2018.

1. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

That's what credit card chargebacks are for.

2. Klumpen

Klumpen Run away! Run away!

I like how the Linux gamers get a short representation too.

ClockworkCoder and TrashyMG like this.
  3. PowerGod

PowerGod Advanced Member

They are starting to give 2 free games every week... damn... my account is literally overflowed with free games... adding free games is becoming a full time job...

4. ClockworkCoder

ClockworkCoder Chaotic Neutral

The thing is, the more games you have on a specific platform, the more tied in to it you are. At least that's what I guess their plan is.

5. PowerGod

PowerGod Advanced Member

Well, if it's true, they are totally on the wrong road with me... most of the games don't require the client, also, too many free games means that you don't need to actually BUY more games, unless you have an infinite amount of free time.

Also, what will happen when the "GOG Galaxy 2.0 - That will control them all" will be out ?

6. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

I'm surprised they need to do that with the success that is Fortnite and the fact every user of that has the EpicGames client installed and run regularly. But I guess that won't last forever, despite appearances.

7. Klumpen

Actually good news for once:
    medium.com/@info_68117/why-i-turned-down-exclusivity-deal-from-the-epic-store-developer-of-darq-7ee834ed0ac7

8. Nintendo

Nintendo Nintendo Switch

Darq is good game.

9. levi

'Moral issues'? Hah, he should have been around in the 1990s where x number of games were announced as being in development for y platform (usually a Sega or Nintendo platform from my perspective, but that might be my biases) and then just never got released.

10. PowerGod

PowerGod Advanced Member

Well, at least the request was just a "limited time" exclusivity, anyway the dev choose well for respecting promises.

levi likes this.
  11. Klumpen

I commend the dev of Darq for his decision.

Unfortunately there's another exclusive: The next Oddworld.
    twitter.com/OddworldInc/status/1163542883036737537?s=19

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  12. Nintendo

Nintendo Nintendo Switch

Fuck you Oddworld Inhabitants!

13. levi

Oh well, in all reality I wasn't going to have the time to play it anyway, with it not running on my Pyra.

14. JDTAY

JDTAY Half Pepperoni, All Cheese

I gotta admit, I don't quite hate Epic as much as I should. The main thing keeping me from installing it is that I don't meet the system requirements for most of their games.

I get that they're evil and all, but when evil means that they basically fund the development of all the games people want, then turn around and give half of them away for free, well, that's my kind of evil.

15. Klumpen

They hold back all existing Linux ports and make devs break other promises as well for money, like a GOG release, etc...

___ and JDTAY like this.
  16. levi

Yes, the extreme delays to linux releases of things is a concern. I'm not sure the exact series of events that led to their buying up of exclusive for some of these games though. Were they secret until they announced their release on Steam/GOG, or did Epic just not think to contact some of them before they announced this?

As I indicated above, it's not unusual for productions to be announced that don't end in a release on the specific platform you own, although if you follow the news they sometimes announced they'd dropped your platform ahead of time, but to do it this late seem a little off. Not properly evil, mind, but a little off.

17. PowerGod

PowerGod Advanced Member

I still don't see Epic as a store... I'll never buy from it... STEAM + GOG are already enough for me, but Epic is giving more free stuff than I actually can play !! And not just the free stuff that STEAM or GOG gives, but actually really good stuff.

Seems to me that a store like this will be able to do money only with microtransactions.

___ and Nintendo like this.
  18. PowerGod

PowerGod Advanced Member

I had a deeper look at the various games in the store (It still doesn't contain so many info for the games...), and my previous sentence seems true... in some kind of form...

I see that there are many games in development stage, and you can "buy" them to have access to the beta versions... BUT, if you want to "beta test" even the new additional content, you have to "buy" every single content you want to have access...
    these tickets also gives an amount of some kind of virtual money to be used in the game... now, I don't know if this "virtual money" is directly connected to "real money" or is something that you can also get in game by just playing it...

So, what I see, is that you do the beta tester, but you pay for it... a really arguable disposition... maybe only justifiable by a really big difference between prices after the release.

___ and levi like this.
  19. Klumpen

Remember this?
    can ≠ want

Now he gave them the option to reconsider and giving all the money to charity:
    twitter.com/UnfoldGames/status/1166089157946564608?s=09

If they refuse it's really bad PR for Epic. :D

Nintendo likes this.
  20. Nintendo

Nintendo Nintendo Switch

Fuck Epic and fuck Fortnite! :-||