Ds Or Psp

ketchupgun

Website
www.theimponderables.com
I've been on the GP2x for years now. Still love it.
Got some money to spend at an electronics store.

I'd like some opinions on th DS vs the PSP.
Let's assume I have access to 1000s of DS rom backups...and a flash cart thingie. That is good for DS and GBA games.

I know very little about PSP and what game are out there...and how to run emlators on it. I hear GPSP started there. How is the rom scene? I see PSP canplay movies....AVI?

I'd like your opinions

thx
Ketch.

well, i'd go with the ds because there are more quality games for it than the psp. i'm not really a person who watches movies out of their house or the movie theatre, but i believe that the psp can play avi files. let's avoid talking about roms though :ph34r:

If you have a GP2X or Wiz (or plan to get a Pandora), and a PS2 or similar at home for games like God of War, I'd go for the DS personally. I find there's little on the PSP that I can't enjoy elsewhere even better.

Go with the DS if you care about games that are any fun, the psp's library is right down there with whale shit. Videos must be converted as well AFAIK, and I never found a good converter (the audio would always come out of sync, no matter what I used). Emulated games run well, but the aspect ratio is ridiculous (one of my pet peeves is unused screen, you can either stretch to fit & have everything all wonkified or play in a box in the middle of the screen). PSX plays well, I'll give it that, but the screen issue still stands (not even counting the ghosting or tearing issues attributed to each model). I've got a DS lite & a flashcart & I'm still pleased with the constant stream of good games. You get much more for your money with the DS imo. Sure the PSP has better multimedia capabilities, but they're an afterthought at best. GunPei2x put it well.

The bottom line is: Do you want a machine that does a bunch of things, but all of them mediocre, or a machine that does one thing very well?

If you're just looking for an emulation machine tho you should check out the dingoo (it'd probably be cheaper & there's lots of exciting stuff it's got going right now)

I'd say the PSP, people say that there are a lot of great DS titles, I have a DS and there are some greats, but I haven't really found any replayable greats yet. Plus, the PSX library is huge, that's a lot of varied games to play.

Well, for one thing, if you meant a ds flash cart, you can't play GBA um...backups with just that, you have to have another cart for the gba slot. Unless you're talking about a GBA cart that also has support for DS games, which, obviously, would work for both. For the PSP, if it's hacked, you can easily put backups on a memory stick and play them (resulting in better loading times and battery life btw).

As for PSP vs. DS, if you intend to hack the PSP, then it can play GBA games (emulation is nearly perfect, you can thank exophase for it), PSX games (hit and miss, most games work, but some don't...but the ones that run run at fullspeed), (S)NES games, etc. and has a huge homebrew community. The DS can emulate NES and SNES and a few others fairly well, has some homebrew, but not as much as the PSP by any means. If you don't care about that stuff, and/or don't want to hack the PSP, I suggest you just look at the library of the DS and PSP and see which has games you prefer. Gamefaqs or ign or something might be good for that.

Personally, I have both a DS and a PSP and I don't think I could part with either of them. But, I'm a handhelds person, I'm not that crazy about consoles (I never have time to play games at home during school).

If you go with the PSP and plan to hack it, I would say buy the PSP-1000 off of ebay or somewhere. It'll be cheaper, and IMO it's better for its IR port (which can be used as a universal remote control with irshell), better build quality and higher compatibility with older homebrew. And if you go with a DS, I would say get a Lite. It has better battery life than the DSi, and the DSi's future in terms of flashcarts is questionable, nintendo could release an update to make the current ones incompatible, and then you'd have to buy another. Unless you're interested in DSiWare (I'm not in the slightest).

I've gotten more mileage out of my DS, but it really depends on the kind of games you want to play. PSP games are by and large portable PS2 games, with all the pluses and minuses that implies. The DS has more variety in my experience, and it's easier to pick up and play most of those games, but they tend to be a bit simpler overall, and the graphics are way behind, if that's a big deal to you. I have both a DS and a hacked PSP, and like I said, I get more mileage out of my DS, but I'm glad to have both. Quality games on both, I guess it just depends on what kind of games you're after.

thx for all the replies.

It seems a DS is to my liking. Honestly, I just want something that will play GBA games better than my GP2X...namely Advance Wars :) .. the sound is awfully garbled on the gpsp I find.and so with that, I could be playing Ds games as well.

So let's say I have all my DS and GBA games backed up to files and I "don't want to carry around all those cartirdges" ... what flash card would be best for playing GBA and DS games...or do I need two, one per slot?

Is there an emulation scene on the DS? I know the PSP is better for this sorta thing....and as for the whole playing movies on the go and most emulation, my GP2X is pretty killer that way, but isn't that the reason we are all here? :)

any other opinions?

ketchupgun said:
thx for all the replies.

It seems a DS is to my liking. Honestly, I just want something that will play GBA games better than my GP2X...namely Advance Wars :) .. the sound is awfully garbled on the gpsp I find.and so with that, I could be playing Ds games as well.

So let's say I have all my DS and GBA games backed up to files and I "don't want to carry around all those cartirdges" ... what flash card would be best for playing GBA and DS games...or do I need two, one per slot?

Is there an emulation scene on the DS? I know the PSP is better for this sorta thing....and as for the whole playing movies on the go and most emulation, my GP2X is pretty killer that way, but isn't that the reason we are all here? :)

any other opinions?
I'd head over to the gbatemp forums & check out some of the reviews on flash carts, they're pretty in-depth over there. Then decide which one has the features you want & look no further than dealextreme to get it cheap =]

Last edited by a moderator:
Consequence9 said:
ketchupgun said:
thx for all the replies.

any other opinions?
I'd head over to the gbatemp forums & check out some of the reviews on flash carts, they're pretty in-depth over there. Then decide which one has the features you want & look no further than dealextreme to get it cheap =]
you really should read the reviews at gbatemp, but i heavily recommend the Acekard RPG, or the Acekard 2(i), they're really good, check them out. hooray for cheap dealextreme!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back