What's So Cool Aout The Ds

One does have to be careful with emus as they definately do have an impact on the market and can hurt it..

ie: Consider.. if a perfect SNES emu came out for GBA, it coudl *seriously* damage the GBA marketplace, since a lot of the good games on GBA and SNES rebuilds.

So yes, the game makers shoudl make new games, but at the same time.. what if someone were to buy a GBA and ghet the hypothetical SNES emu and never buy another game? Boom, GBA dead.

So GBA is well along now so a SNES emu now wouldn't hurt it, and its not really feasible to do a perfect SNES emu on there anyway.

But you have to think in those terms and be careful, as an emu builder, to not wipe out a platform.

Theres nothign ethically or morally wrong, but when a new platform comes out, you may just piss off all the developers and make them go elsehwere if you release 20 emus on day 1 :)

At the same time, emus are desirable, since everyone wants to keep their old librarties around on the new devices and make them pocketable, which is why we build emus in the first place.

Tough call :)

jeff

And to the guy who said it will be open to a lot of PDA apps, wtf are you smoking?
your kiding right?
DS dosnt run windows CE or the Palm OS or anything like that,

~Octavious

duhhh...reality check pdas apps aren't restricted to an OS such as win CE or palm OS to write pda apps.... <goes off and light his crack pipe ;) :p >

Last edited by a moderator:
it has a GBA slot so you can load the homebrews throught that with a flash card like on the GBA

the beev
I think the GBA cart will work in the same way a GBC cart works in the GBA, so there is no way is using all of the DS's features from a GBA flash cart (without modification), all you could do is run GBA homebrew.

maybe a fullspeed NES emu, but the gp32 already has one
seriously, If you want emulation certinly dont get a DS , go GP32 o that issue

And to the guy who said it will be open to a lot of PDA apps, wtf are you smoking?
your kiding right?
DS dosnt run windows CE or the Palm OS or anything like that, NO PDA APPS will work for it without a complete rewrite of the code, and I dont think many ( although atleast one will ) PDA dev'rs will spend time trying to make a SDK and then port their good to a less powerful machine
1. The DS is able to achieve more than NES, and you know it.
2. He was saying that it would open up possibilities to run PDA type apps, what with there being a touch screen.

A pinch of common sense would help here.

but dont count on the DS for much of anything in emulators
Bollocks, the DS will easily handle everything the GP32 does, and more.
I mean, the GBA handles pretty much everything the GP does except 16 bit consoles. and the DS has a much more powerful processor than the GBA, plus 3d acceleration.

One does have to be careful with emus as they definately do have an impact on the market and can hurt it..

ie: Consider.. if a perfect SNES emu came out for GBA, it coudl *seriously* damage the GBA marketplace, since a lot of the good games on GBA and SNES rebuilds.

So yes, the game makers shoudl make new games, but at the same time.. what if someone were to buy a GBA and ghet the hypothetical SNES emu and never buy another game? Boom, GBA dead.

So GBA is well along now so a SNES emu now wouldn't hurt it, and its not really feasible to do a perfect SNES emu on there anyway.

But you have to think in those terms and be careful, as an emu builder, to not wipe out a platform.

Theres nothign ethically or morally wrong, but when a new platform comes out, you may just piss off all the developers and make them go elsehwere if you release 20 emus on day 1 :)

At the same time, emus are desirable, since everyone wants to keep their old librarties around on the new devices and make them pocketable, which is why we build emus in the first place.

jeff

The DS is from Nintendo, they aren't exactly small garage company like Tapwave or Gamepark. They will sell gazillions of these things just on the brand alone. The flashcart crowd is very small and would make hardly any difference to Nintendo. If they sold flashcarts in every store yes that would be a problem. But they are limited to websites in Hong Kong and other countries requiring a bit of work to get.

Also they must not really care all that much either. If they did they would protect their carts better. Tey would make it so flashcarts would not work and have some sort of DRM

Sony is a much bigger threat to the DS than any emu. I am not too worried about Nintendo's success.

but dont count on the DS for much of anything in emulators
Bollocks, the DS will easily handle everything the GP32 does, and more.
I mean, the GBA handles pretty much everything the GP does except 16 bit consoles. and the DS has a much more powerful processor than the GBA, plus 3d acceleration.

The screen is still small and the resolution too low. The Genesis for example is 320 x 220. How would that look on a 256 x 192 DS screen? like shite.

jeff

it's a bit shitty when nintendo re-re-re-release old games though... they deserve all they get, on that score, I reckon...

The screen is still small and the resolution too low. The Genesis for example is 320 x 220. How would that look on a 256 x 192 DS screen? like shite.

Actually, scaling down is not so shitty as you'd think; I've got CaSTaway running on the Treo 600 (160x160) and you know, its not bad; its not great of course, and bad for text.. but RType (320x200 ST) running on 160x160 is not bad at all :)

jeff

[qu

your kiding right?
DS dosnt run windows CE or the Palm OS or anything like that, NO PDA APPS will work for it without a complete rewrite of the code, and I dont think many ( although atleast one will ) PDA dev'rs will spend time trying to make a SDK and then port their good to a less powerful machine

~Octavious

Firstly, learn some manners dick head. and secondly, if you knew wtf you were talking about, you'd know a code team are already writing PDA stuff for it. If you can get on chaosengine.com (game developers forum) you'd know that. And did you know the same company did some PDA apps for the GB? no? well there you go. And they won't be the only ones, once unoficial devers crack it open, someone will stick linux on it, just to see if they can, just like they did on the GP.

i hope i get my DS from GBAx in the first batch. I got in the original pre order list s ohopefully i should. I only brought from there instead of import madness so

1. no customs

2. uk plug

Back