Drudge Report....

typs lik dis said:
Everything you speculated is true, just as it is for Apple's app store. Every app author will be required to charge at least $10/download during the first month of app store service, and the minimum price will rise by 10% each month. The minimum price is scheduled to be $98.50 two years after the Pandora app store opens. No emulators will be given away or latest versions made accessible for a donation, and Craig and co will take legal action against any authors of software who don't adhere to the store's rules. When Pandora 2 is released, current-gen Pandoras will be banned from accessing the site, and all apps will be required to verify their license/registration every 12 hours or refuse to run. The introduction of a convenient platform for selling software and/or accepting donations will be the downfall of the scene.
As a result, Pandora 3 will have a UMD drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
skeezix said:
Close the thread now. Getting into DMCA is akin to summoning Hitler.. the thread is dead.
Totally agree! Luckily the DMCA isn't law in most of the world.

And at least a couple countries protect the rights of the purchaser to use what was sold to them. :)

For the record, I think the Pandora App Store is a great idea... Personally, I wouldn't mind paying for a few quality apps. Why shouldn't a developer get paid a few dollars for his time? Plus an app store would just make the Pandora that much more attractive to potential future buyers.

zohnnyg said:
what if the prices in the app store start getting ridiculous and out of hand? what if to get the newest emulator version and there wont be another (just speculating) the emulator is now $99.99? or the old "im sorry about the last emulator version you bought from me that wasnt ready for release for $39.99 but heres the new version you can buy and it fixes all the bugs and crashes from the previous version". do we have a risk of getting ripped off? are the prices going to rise all the time? what if it just gets to the point of being stupid?

If somebody's stupid enough to pay those prices, well...

I wouldn't mind paying a small sum for an emulator for say psx, dreamcast, psp, ds, as long as they were 100% working/complete

Gruso said:
Two UMD drives, actually. One for the game and another one for the DRM key; both don't fit on one disk.

j6cubic said:
Gruso said:
Two UMD drives, actually. One for the game and another one for the DRM key; both don't fit on one disk.
Pandora 4 will remove the UMD drive, in favour of digital downloads again, but a few months after its release they'll announce plans for a UMD extension. It'll cost almost as much as the Pandora 4 itself.

I would think a lot of things would fall under the donationware band.
pay as much as you want to thank the author.

I see this as just an easy way to setup donations to all software devs?

You don't have to set a price to your software if you don't want to... And I would assume that only reasonably priced software would actually sell since we are a community of freeware games.

Will 'registration' on the store require a starting 'balance'? In other words, will it be possible to download anything that's 'free' on day 1 without putting the minimum $20 in?

Asmo said:
Will 'registration' on the store require a starting 'balance'? In other words, will it be possible to download anything that's 'free' on day 1 without putting the minimum $20 in?

Good question.

Asmo said:

I highly doubt it. It's possible, but it wouldn't make any sense. What if you just wanted to be a developer? You would have to make an account to upload anything, so you'd be forced to put money in your account even if you just wanted to add some of your software to the archive.

Since there will be tons of free apps, it wouldn't make any sense to force users to put down starting balances. In fact, a lot of people might not have their own credit cards to put down the money.

I don't know why so many people are getting so angry about this? Why shouldn't developers be given a nice tool to sell applications for money. If I develop an app, I can set whatever price I want on it. However, I can't force anybody to buy it. There will still be plenty of free software. Just because the platform is open doesn't mean that every single program written for it has to be.

budbud said:
Pre-orders since day 1 should get a free $100 credit :) merry christmas..Bud

$100 is too much, but a $5 credit would be nice for the folks who pre-ordered within the first month, let's say...

We'll still need to be able to pay...
It seems that there are quite a lot of people from the Netherlands getting a Pandora, and we have a quite nice payment system called iDEAL over here. It would be lovely to be able to use that.

borgqueenx said:
The app store should not be open source though, it would make the games easier to crack and that will bounce of developers and conpanys.

Christmas is coming soon...can we still make it? Only 2 weeks to go.

Speaking from experience,

No.

GunPei2X said:
budbud said:

$100 is too much, but a $5 credit would be nice for the folks who pre-ordered within the first month, let's say...
I seriously hope you guys are kidding :lol:

All first-batch preorderers should get $2 of credit at the store, which they can donate to whichever apps they feel like.

If necessary the money can come from the dev fund, since it'll go right back to developers - but to the devs chosen by pandora owners.

In the end it'd pay off, because it'll get people used to how it works.

Asmo said:

You don't even have to login to download the free stuff.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
GunPei2X said:
budbud said:

I seriously hope you guys are kidding :lol:
why? most of us lost a fair bit more than $5 when we had to re-order, sounds like a good idea to me.

Back