Release DraStic Nintendo DS emulator

The yesterday night version had problems with "Dragonball: Origins", I've seen heavy slowdowns on the intro even at 1100Mhz and very scratching sound during gameplay. (frameskip auto 4)

Metal slug 7 runs at 50% at 1000mhz, and crashes, new super mario bros crashes as the title screen loads, super space invaders extreme runs 100%, also how can you swap screens big little etc on the fly ?there's a button to enable it but no way to map it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm this emulator is playing funny buggers just reloaded new super mario bros and its running perfect now only when theres major scaling there is slowdown also dont use a swap file with this emu as its creating strange ghosting effects nanostray and nanostray 2 run at 50-60% with a speed increase this emu could be as good as the android version tested on CC pandora overclocked to 1GHZ

Metal slug 7 runs at 50% at 1000mhz, and crashes, new super mario bros crashes as the title screen loads, super space invaders extreme runs 100%, also how can you swap screens big little etc on the fly ?there's a button to enable it but no way to map it.
Hmmm this emulator is playing funny buggers just reloaded new super mario bros and its running perfect now only when theres major scaling there is slowdown also dont use a swap file with this emu as its creating strange ghosting effects nanostray and nanostray 2 run at 50-60% with a speed increase this emu could be as good as the android version tested on CC pandora overclocked to 1GHZ
Sorry but I don't really understand half of what you're saying... You can swap screens on the fly with the X key (not button, keyboard key). It says so in the readme. If you're having stability problems it's hard to tell that it's not because you're overclocking your CPU like crazy. The Pandora version is already faster than the Android one, the problem is your Pandora is slower - saying that it could be as good as the Android version isn't really fair (try running the Android one on a phone with 1GHz Cortex-A8 like Galaxy S - your overclocked CC Pandora is already substantially slower than that anyway). There's limits to how fast it can be.

The visual effects (going into buildings, medals, fly, battle intros) glitches in Pokemon Black 2 have returned in version 2161. Basically what happens is the screen turns mostly white and the graphics are all messed up during the transitions. This does not affect game play as things are normal after the transitions are complete. 2160 had fixed the glitches.  I am not complaining just providing feedback. Thanks again!
It's because you have frameskip on. The reason why it went away in 2.1.6p is because there was a bug that wasn't frameskipping as much as it should have. Glitches with frameskip are unfortunately unavoidable (although I'm trying some things to mitigate them). If you try it w/o FS I think you'll see it go away. It'll be slow, of course.

Kind of surprised to hear anyone even plays Pokemon here. Where were you guys before I released on Android, I needed the bug reports ;)
Cool, well whatever value of automatic frameskip that was being used in 2.1.6.0 works great for Pokemon.

When I turn frameskip off 2.1.6.0 and 2.1.6.1 are equally slower. I can crank it to 1100 MHz to make it almost as good as 2.1.6.0 with automatic frameskip at 1 GHz but the sound still stutters more.

Drastic 2.1.3.0 is the first version I tried. I tend to stay away from the mainstream emulator threads as they tend to attract the nagging “This sucks! Why does my favorite game not work perfectly at 600 Mhz” crowd.

When I tried Pokemon Black 2 and discovered it was more playable, for me, than on my DS Lite I was satisfied. A few graphical glitches are not a major problem to me.

I did see your post about wanting help testing but I was not interested in playing Pokemon at the time. The dual screens of the DS had ruined it for me.  It was upon trying the emulator for the first time that got me going again.

Anyway, thank you for this wonderful emulator and good luck with the Android port.

Can't seem to get the TV-Split mode to work.
Tried Main Layer, Overlay, every screen orientation and position... no luck. What I get is that there's always the one DS screen shown on the TV even if the Pandora shows both on its screen, can't get it to show 2 separate single DS screens.
I'm using TV-Out via composite if that matters.
Am I missing something?

Can't seem to get the TV-Split mode to work.

Tried Main Layer, Overlay, every screen orientation and position... no luck. What I get is that there's always the one DS screen shown on the TV even if the Pandora shows both on its screen, can't get it to show 2 separate single DS screens.

I'm using TV-Out via composite if that matters.

Am I missing something?
Works fine for me.  This how I did it:  TV out configuration -> Enable Tv-out -> Select NTSC -> Select Composite Video -> Select Main Layer -> Click Write Settings.  Fire up Drastic, Go to Options, select TV split option in Drastic.

HhwIhse.jpg

Edit:  Sorry I don't have the official TV cable so it looks a little messy there :)

there's a button to enable it but no way to map it.
I must admit, i'd like t be able to map these functions to different buttons too.

I've observed several regressions in 2.1.6.0 , (previous release i used was r2.1.0p). Most of the regressions are involved with sound becoming choppy; frameskip usually set to automatic/4.

Dragon quest IV and V use both screens to display the land scape. The movement between these two screens has never been perfect, but the change from r2.0.1p to r2.1.0p, was very nice in improving this, making it pretty close to normal. 2.1.6 has slowed these games quite a bit, induced sound choppyness, and the synchronization of the two screens has sunk back down to previous 2.0.1 level.

In saying this, you said that you were focusing on compatability for a while and that some games may suffer a regression temperately. I'm just reporting what i've observed to help you out. You know what you're doing and if some games have to indure slow downs tempararaly for the benefit in other areas, then i'm sure people can live with that.

In Exophase we trust.

I must admit, i'd like t be able to map these functions to different buttons too.

I've observed several regressions in 2.1.6.0 , (previous release i used was r2.1.0p). Most of the regressions are involved with sound becoming choppy; frameskip usually set to automatic/4.

Dragon quest IV and V use both screens to display the land scape. The movement between these two screens has never been perfect, but the change from r2.0.1p to r2.1.0p, was very nice in improving this, making it pretty close to normal. 2.1.6 has slowed these games quite a bit, induced sound choppyness, and the synchronization of the two screens has sunk back down to previous 2.0.1 level.

In saying this, you said that you were focusing on compatability for a while and that some games may suffer a regression temperately. I'm just reporting what i've observed to help you out. You know what you're doing and if some games have to indure slow downs tempararaly for the benefit in other areas, then i'm sure people can live with that.

In Exophase we trust.
That's why you should update to 2.1.6.1p..

I'm not sure what's the differences between frame skip and speed override in the new version.  If I enable speed override to any of the provided %, the games run and sound very choppy.  So if you experience this choppiness, try to set speed override to none. 

Does anyone know how come the save global option doesn't save this override even if I delete the game specific options first?  Everytime I start a game, the override of 50% always set as the default.

Works fine for me.  This how I did it:  TV out configuration -> Enable Tv-out -> Select NTSC -> Select Composite Video -> Select Main Layer -> Click Write Settings.  Fire up Drastic, Go to Options, select TV split option in Drastic.
I don't really know why and I'm pretty sure I tried that combination too, but it worked on a second try, heh. Thanks!

I'm not sure what's the differences between frame skip and speed override in the new version.  If I enable speed override to any of the provided %, the games run and sound very choppy.  So if you experience this choppiness, try to set speed override to none. 

Does anyone know how come the save global option doesn't save this override even if I delete the game specific options first?  Everytime I start a game, the override of 50% always set as the default.
Emulators as they are initially written just try to run everything as fast as they can.  If it's running too fast, an artificial wait is introduced to make it run at normal speed - this recent drastic update allowed us to choose what percentage of real speed that normal speed is.  On top of that, often emulators run too slow, so frameskip>1 lets you skip frames to acheive a more realistic speed.

So, having frameskip set too low will slow the emulator down, but how much it slows down depends on how much is going on.  On the other hand, if you set the speed to 50%, the emulator will specifically not run any faster than 50%, though it can still run slower, especially if frameskip is set too low.  Either way you do it, running slower than the original hardware will mean it's not filling up the sound buffers at the real rate, so sound will end up choppy.

I'm not sure what problem you're having with settings.  I did find this new version forgot all my old settings for games, I guess no unexpectedly, since it's added new options.  But changing the settings then saving for this game seems to have remembered them - not tried saving for all games.  My options came with speed override set to 100% (or 'none' as DraStic displays it).

I found in "Giana Sisters" a little annoying behaviour when you use the "bubble" (that fly up when you blow on the microphone), in the first levels it works really great, but some levels later it acts like I'm always blowing, and the only way to play is to disable the microphone (this option is in the game itself) and use the jump button instead.

It's the first time I play this game so I can't say if this issue was already present.

Hmm, that does appear to be a scaling bug on the TV-out cable. When not using tv-split, and having set the tv out config to main layer, I get the same issue whether using no scaling or aspect scaling.

On the other hand, tv split works provided you're configured for main layer, which is the most important thing.

i cannot turn the soud off in the latest version.its not just that i want it to be mute,i want to disable compltely to save cpu and speeds things up in some games,but even if i set it to "off"in the options and then save,the sound is still on

i cannot turn the soud off in the latest version.its not just that i want it to be mute,i want to disable compltely to save cpu and speeds things up in some games,but even if i set it to "off"in the options and then save,the sound is still on
Turning off sound emulation breaks some things so you don't get to do that anymore, muting it is what you get. It doesn't usually use that much CPU anyway.

Back