Release DraStic Nintendo DS emulator

I think I might have found a bug, I don't know if this has been reported yet though.

Say you hold down one of the buttons, be it the D-Pad, the face buttons, shoulder buttons, or whatever. Then you go to the menu by pressing Space, still holding the button. Let go of the button, go back to the game, and you'll find that it still thinks you're holding down the button, even though you're not. Pressing the button again stops it from registering and the controls go back to normal.

I think I might have found a bug, I don't know if this has been reported yet though.

Say you hold down one of the buttons, be it the D-Pad, the face buttons, shoulder buttons, or whatever. Then you go to the menu by pressing Space, still holding the button. Let go of the button, go back to the game, and you'll find that it still thinks you're holding down the button, even though you're not. Pressing the button again stops it from registering and the controls go back to normal.
I'd call that less of a bug and more of a quirk :p That can actually be abused for testing purposes in rare occasions. Making it not behave this way but still resume holding the button if you do start pressing it again before exiting the menu would be a lot of work for something that's not really a big deal.

Can't confirm this, since I don't own an android device, but a friend of mine mentioned that the menu interface was only available in vertical position, and not horizontal. Otherwise, he was extremely well impressed by the capabilities and performance :)

Congratulations on 50,000+ downloads to my calculations that's a good amount of change in your piggy bank, well deserved I hope this doesn't mean you will forget about pandora anytime soon :-D

WTF !! Compliments !! Exophase and Lordus have earned them all

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I do plan on making 2.1.6p available with 2.1.6a (which will be our biggest update since the Android version came out), just have to expose a couple options to the Pandora menu. It's probably better that you guys didn't get 2.1.5/2.1.5.1 since it had some regressions.

Mostly just compatibility fixes. I did optimize exactly one more 2D function, it's a capture function used in games that have dual screen 3D (it's about 0.45ms per frame faster than the current version, on 1GHz Pandora). There's also some other options like specified frame throttlers (like you can give it 50%, 150%, 200%, etc instead of 100% vs "as fast as possible") - probably not as useful for Pandora users though.

I've updated the repo version to 2.1.6p. This time you guys get it a few hours before the Android version :p

Changes are in the readme, uploaded to the usual space: http://exophase.devzero.co.uk/drastic_readme.txt

Note that 2.1.4p, 2.1.5p, and 2.1.5.1p were never released (and the changelog was made retroactively to match those versions, released for Android) so if you want to see what's changed you'll have to include those too.

This is going to shut up alot of "WHY POKEMON HAS ALL THAT GLITCHES? MY LIFE IS RUINED AND I'M GOING TO KICK YOUR DOG" comments on googleplay.

Nice job Exo, especially considering us pandora master race get ahead of those android peasants this time. (Of cause this is my attampt at a joke)

Wont load up any roms for me. worked fine before. It seems to load up the roms (SD LEDs blink), but then just crashes back to desktop. tmp log (with new appdata drastic dir):

=======================================================================================

PND             : /media/SD1/pandora/apps/drastic.pnd

PND_FSTYPE      : Squashfs

APPDATADIR      : /media/SD1/pandora/appdata/DraStic

APPDD_FSTYPE    : vfat

PND_CPUSPEED    : <unset>

EXENAME         : drastic.sh

ARGUMENTS       : <unset>

=======================================================================================

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop1" "/mnt/utmp/DraStic"

Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/SD1/pandora/appdata/DraStic=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/DraStic=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/DraStic"

[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Starting the application ( drastic.sh  ) ----------

Starting DraStic (version r2.1.6p)

Checking directory /mnt/utmp/DraStic/backup: It's there.

Checking directory /mnt/utmp/DraStic/savestates: It's there.

Checking directory /mnt/utmp/DraStic/config: It's there.

Checking directory /mnt/utmp/DraStic/profiles: It's there.

Checking directory /mnt/utmp/DraStic/unzip_cache: It's there.

Checking directory /mnt/utmp/DraStic/system: It's there.

Checking directory /mnt/utmp/DraStic/input_record: It's there.

Setting default configuration.

Loading directory config file /mnt/utmp/DraStic/config/drastic.cf2

Directory config file /mnt/utmp/DraStic/config/drastic.cf2 does not exist.

Loading config file /mnt/utmp/DraStic/config/drastic.cfg

Config file /mnt/utmp/DraStic/config/drastic.cfg does not exist.

got keypad at device keypad

got gpio-keys at device gpio-keys

Using touchscreen at /dev/input/touchscreen0.

Got memory mapped buffer at 0x4042d000 (drastic_mapped_memory.dat)

Using memory map offset 0

Direct mapping main RAM to 2000000

Direct mapping main RAM to 2400000

Direct mapping main RAM to 2800000

Direct mapping main RAM to 2c00000

Initializing ARM9 bus-level memory map.

Initializing ARM7 bus-level memory map.

Initializing CP15.

Initializing DMA.

***Failed to load system file nds_bios_arm9.bin.

Can't find Nintendo ARM9 BIOS. Trying free DraStic ARM9 BIOS.

***Failed to load system file nds_bios_arm7.bin.

Can't find Nintendo ARM9 BIOS. Trying free DraStic ARM7 BIOS.

***Failed to load system file nds_firmware.bin.

ALSA output: requested rate of 44100, got 44100.

ALSA output: requested buffer size of 8192, got 8192.

ALSA output: requested period size of 2048, got 2048.

ALSA output: Using synchronous engine.

1524.326172 cycles per output sample (0.000656 samples per cycle)

Loaded 6462 games in database file /mnt/utmp/DraStic/game_database.xml.

Loaded cheat directory from database file /mnt/utmp/DraStic/usrcheat.dat. Loaded 3204 games.

Processing command line options.

No cache file in directory.

Removing empty file info file.

Directory load took 0.015564 seconds.

Saving config to /mnt/utmp/DraStic/config/drastic.cfg

Directory load took 0.016297 seconds.

ERROR: Couldn't open cache file.

Directory load took 0.000641 seconds.

Directory load took 0.000366 seconds.

Directory load took 0.000458 seconds.

Directory load took 0.000336 seconds.

Directory load took 0.009888 seconds.

Loaded 25 files in file info cache.

[sUCCESS]--- Starting the application ( drastic.sh  ) ----------

[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

auplink:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl for device

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/DraStic': Device or resource busy

[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

cleanup done

[sUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------

Return code is : 8

Same here. Aww, why I update programs before I read the forums... ^^

Now My currently most important emulator doesn't work anymore and I don't have a backup of the old version.

I've purshased DraStic on Google Play for my Nvidia Shield, the new update works well.

I have only a few requests :

- Possibility to consider the Shield analog triggers as buttons : I wanted to map the right trigger to "fast forward", but the press is not detected.

- Graphical glitches on Tales of Innocence (original JP version), some parts in the towns are displayed black.

Good job by the way, almost perfect emulation, cool features and full speed in every game ;)

Back