Release DraStic Nintendo DS emulator

@Exophase

I know I had raised this before, but just letting you know there is a lot of people on the Ouya forum who want Drastic on the Ouya.  There is a whole thread about sideloading it onto the Ouya, but of course that's not ideal due to the touch requirements for some games.  Perhaps the use of the touchpad could suffice - don't know.  Anyway, just letting you know there is a market there for it.
I saw a whole bunch of traffic coming to Pandoralive from there. For the drastic articles.

Another issue with spirit tracks (both on pandora and android). The microphone refuses to initialize. When playing the flute, it doesn't accept mic input and when doing the mic test in options, its stuck on preparing microphone.

I had to laugh whilst playing "Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan" on the metro to work this morning that the Pandora can now almost perfectly emulate the system it most often gets mistaken for,

Another issue with spirit tracks (both on pandora and android). The microphone refuses to initialize. When playing the flute, it doesn't accept mic input and when doing the mic test in options, its stuck on preparing microphone.
This one is really widely reported (also bugged on Phantom Hourglass), trying to figure out what the deal is. If it's busted in the options that could be the best lead.

So whe have now a Homebrewhandheld in DS Shape, which can play DS Games..

And its a loot more Pocket Friendly as my 3DS XL + Circle Pad Pro Monster Handheld..

Unbeliefebel that the Pandora can now emulate DS..

Does anyone have the Zelda microphone problem ready to test on Pandora? I badly want to see if a fix got it.

Is there any way to "import" saves into the emulator on Android? I'd been playing Pokemon Platinum on it for a few days and got pretty far in, then backed up my save at one point by saving a copy in another folder. A few hours later I ran into some bugs on another game that wrecked DraStic so much I had to uninstall it and then reinstall it AND delete all of my ROMs to get it functioning again. I was a little irritated by this but since I'd backed up my Pokemon save it wasn't a big deal, or so I thought.

I thought I could just put the old Pokemon save state file in the new DraStic save state folder and I'd be able to load my state. Unfortunately this hasn't been the case. The emulator doesn't recognize it as a slot, they're all empty. Is there any way to get it to load it or do I have to kiss that save file goodbye?

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase: Have you figured out how to fix this bug or not?
Sorry, not yet.

Is there any way to "import" saves into the emulator on Android? I'd been playing Pokemon Platinum on it for a few days and got pretty far in, then backed up my save at one point by saving a copy in another folder. A few hours later I ran into some bugs on another game that wrecked DraStic so much I had to uninstall it and then reinstall it AND delete all of my ROMs to get it functioning again. I was a little irritated by this but since I'd backed up my Pokemon save it wasn't a big deal, or so I thought.

I thought I could just put the old Pokemon save state file in the new DraStic save state folder and I'd be able to load my state. Unfortunately this hasn't been the case. The emulator doesn't recognize it as a slot, they're all empty. Is there any way to get it to load it or do I have to kiss that save file goodbye?
It should work, is the place you're copying to /sdcard/Android/data/com.dsemu.drastic/files/savestates ?

Yoshis Island DS works now for mee, after i made the Display s Vertikal
Gta China town Wars works whitout Sound, whit Sound it starts, but the screen flickers. .
Mario 64 and New Super Mario Bros seems to work quite good..
Pokemon Black 2 loads (its needs some time as its a 500 mb Rom)
But cant save and wants me to shut down the DS.. (ok if this game dosnt work i ditnt have a problem whit: then i wait until Oktober and than i have Pokemon Y or X )
Lost in Blue 3 Works, but ist somethime a bit slow..
Seems like this old Circuit Co Pandora isnt that bad for new Games..

Highly unlikely request here: I don't suppose you can support the DSQ patched files, can you? If not I'm going to have to re-rip all my games because I stupidly did not keep the originals once patched for my supercard.

Highly unlikely request here: I don't suppose you can support the DSQ patched files, can you? If not I'm going to have to re-rip all my games because I stupidly did not keep the originals once patched for my supercard.
Never heard of it and Google isn't helping, could you give any more information?

It's a patched NDS format for the SuperCard SD so that games can save to the SD card properly. I don't actually know much more about it and if you've never heard of it then it's probably more work than it's worth. I'll just get on redumping my games now.

One quick note about backing up saves: it's often worth copying both the savestate file and the DS save file. Pretty sure that wasn't PokeParadoxes issue above, but it caught me out with Picross DS on the first Pandora version - the RAM, and thus the savestate doesn't contain the list of previously completed levels, so if you rely on savestates on their own, once you complete a level it will write that to the save, but none of the levels you previously completed will be marked as done.

One quick note about backing up saves: it's often worth copying both the savestate file and the DS save file. Pretty sure that wasn't PokeParadoxes issue above, but it caught me out with Picross DS on the first Pandora version - the RAM, and thus the savestate doesn't contain the list of previously completed levels, so if you rely on savestates on their own, once you complete a level it will write that to the save, but none of the levels you previously completed will be marked as done.
This is 100% correct, thanks for pointing that out. Everyone do as he says :p

It's really really late right now and I wish I could sleep but I feel like garbage. So uh, I updated the Pandora version since it felt like a good place to do that >_> It's on the repo -_-

Great! :) Take a walk outside, that always makes me sleepy when I cant sleep :p
I've taken the liberty to copy the changes from the readme here, for followers who are curious but cant take the time out to download the app right now. Notify if that bothers you and I will delete it of course.

DraStic Nintendo DS emulator

by Exophase (exophase@gmail.com)

~ desperate times call for drastic measures ~

-- Changelog --

Legend:

@: optimization

+: new feature

#: bug fix

-: removed feature

*: Note

r2.1.3p:

#: A bunch of fixes were made to the cheat database, many more of them should

actually work and not cause crashes.

#: Implemented 1-element texture matrix stack. Fixes graphical problems in

Fire Emblem: Dark Shadow.

#: Made ARM7 properly reschedule when waking up if IRQs are not enabled.

Fixes hang at end of a stage in Diddy Kong Racing.

#: Fixed an ldm emulation bug that triggered with some register allocations.

Fixes hang in Spore Creatures. 

#: Changed alpha ID test to not apply to opaque pixels in alpha polygons.

Fixes missing graphics in Justice League.

#: Added y-sort for polygons. Fixes a bunch of missing graphics bugs in menus

and the like, but will probably come at a bit of a performance hit.

#: Fixed missing power management register emulation. Fixes microphone bugs

in the Zelda games.

#: Fixed recompiler flags caching bug that preventing Megaman Battle

Network 5DS from loading.

#: No longer requires BIOS/firmware (but will still use ones you've installed).

Please see the System Files section for more information.

#: Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver is at least playable due to a timing hack.

#: Fixed 2D rendering bug where 8bpp affine sprites would show up as opaque

if the MSB in the palette entry was set. Fixes blue borders around sprites

in Bob's Game demo.

#: Implemented signal handler to allow loads from the first 4KB of memory.

Fixes crashes in homebrew titles like Detective DS and Bob's Game demo.

Back