Release DraStic Nintendo DS emulator

Cheats seem to be functioning properly now.
The whole thing with the cheats is kind of embarrassing.. Not that long before the August 5 release Lordus was saying how we just need cheats to have the major features most emulators have. I was going to work on it while I was out of town July 28 to 31 but the Chromebook I was using was fighting me all the way and I ended up just damaging code (don't ask) before I decided to give up on getting anything done. Then I rushed to get the cheat stuff implemented in a couple days and threw it at Neelix, my ever trusty tester who in this case responded "never used those before.."

Well suffice it to say the cheat engine had at least three serious bugs in it. Normally releasing a feature that's half broken and waiting for people to tell you what's wrong so you can fix it is a bad idea.. but in the case of cheats it's especially dumb because when the cheats break they turn your game into an insta-crash. And it's not easy to realize that it's the cheat's fault (and that you need to disable cheats).

So uh yeah, moral of the story, thoroughly test your cheat engines before releasing them :p

Cheating never pays kids!

I've never used them myself, although admittedly some are kind of neat - I mean, the kinds that do something weird with the game instead of just giving you something instantly.

Exactly. I like to be able to press the L button to simulate microphone input rather than blowing constantly, or use the dpad rather than the touchscreen for movement in the Zelda games. Some also unlock content that is only available if you have a certain gba cartridge inserted.

Just reporting that Pokemon Blaze Black (a popular Pokemon hack) now works properly - it used to freeze at the first dialogue. Woooh :)

I tested DraStic yesterday and I can say: "WOW, great stuff!" :)

Just a question: Any plans to include a scaling option that doesnt blur everything? Maybe a simple Nearest Neighbor?

Just a question: Any plans to include a scaling option that doesnt blur everything? Maybe a simple Nearest Neighbor?
Use the XFCE settings menu -> LCD settings and change the scaler there.

D.

D.
Oh nice! Thank you!

there is no Nearest Neighbor, but no filter looks better than the blured one.

Can I take this opportunity to point out (to myself included), since we're all enjoying testing out our favourite games in the latest version, that the <a href="http://pandorawiki.org/DraStic_Compatibility_List">compatibility list</a> wiki page is still there, but hasn't been updated for a couple of bug fix releases.  Get wiki authoring right (see the pinned secton of General Talk for the asswordpay) and start adding or updating those table entries, if you don't mind.

Oh nice! Thank you!

"No Filter" is nearest neighbour - it's just that DS screens, being 256x192 in size, do not scale well up to 480 in height so you get some fat pixels and some thin.

D.

Does anyone know is Bowsers Inside Story working properly in this version, or is that still on the todo list?

Big Bang Mini is not working. Emulation freezes with last sound played when selecting Arcade mode.

It works until the first bowser battle, then it freezes.
Probably a timing problem, probably going to throw in a timing hack for this game for now. I think it's one of those games that requires "advanced bus level timing" on desmume to work (and even then might not be 100% stable).. meaning it needs cache timing emulation which is just too slow to be much of an option for this emulator. Although it's something I can look into at some point.

Big Bang Mini is not working. Emulation freezes with last sound played when selecting Arcade mode.
Yeah, this one's on my list too :/ No idea what the deal is yet, except ARM9 is ignoring ARM7. This is one of those hangs that's annoying because the game is still happily processing all this heavy stuff like 3D graphics so it's hard to isolate the part where it's stalling.

Just a curiosity, why the italian language in Brain Training was using ARM9 instructions and the other languages not ?

Just a curiosity, why the italian language in Brain Training was using ARM9 instructions and the other languages not ?
Everything uses ARM9 instructions, the problem was it was using unaligned 16-bit loads. As to why it only did it if you selected Italian I really have no idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh nice! Thank you!

"No Filter" is nearest neighbour - it's just that DS screens, being 256x192 in size, do not scale well up to 480 in height so you get some fat pixels and some thin.

D.
Oh, I see, My eyes tricked me :)

Back