Release DraStic Nintendo DS emulator

seems like a lot of my roms are trimmed from my R4 , I guess that and being euro roms are giving me all the save issues. Is it really not possible to determine save method without a database?

In any case I will try to find time to redump
I also vote for allowing the extension *.sav :)

Tested about 50 Games I had at home.

Dumped from original DS cardridge and used on my Flash card.

Didn't do any patch.

Had some bad roms such as Yoshi's island.

Don't know why they don't work on DraStic?

I also reported if it helps to rename the.sav to.dsv.

It worked for lots of games.

It's all German Games with German Firmware and Bios files dumped from my original Nintendo Ds (not Dsi).

As some Games were a bad dump I can start and play Games like Kingdom Hearts? Maybe because it's German version?

I did my best to be as clear as possible.

Hopefully it helps a little.
Seems like your file is not available anymore?
I updated it.

Maybe you wanted to look at it as I uploaded a new one.             

:)

Since there are several of us testing games and reporting how they run, it could be a good idea to have a central document for that. Be it google doc or wiki, etc... what do you guys suggest?

Reporting:

Non working:

Picross 3D : crashes after first screen, exits emulator

Zoo Keeper: crashes after first screen, exits emulator

Mario & Luigi: Bowser inside's story: crashes when launching, exits emulator

Works:

Shin Megami Tensei, Dark Devil: works, but a little slow and music stutters at 600 Mhz.

Has anyone been able to run any of the Call of Duty games? All of them crash right away to the desktop for me.

Any chance of this getting better crash handling?
Seems like the second biggest problem (after poor 3D performance) atm.

Some idea for the 2 screens:

1:

Is it possible to make one big (as it's now in sinlge screen mode) and put the other one slightly visible over it (about 50-80% transparent). with button press.

Would be nice for map screens and life bar and such stuff.

2:

Make a big screen as it is now but move it comletely to the left.

Then on the bottom right corner make the msecond one as big as possible.

This might be the best solution for big screen when you want to see the second one as well.

3:

For two screens above each other:

Any solution for games that play on two screens and use the hinge as "invisible screen part" such as Yoshi's storry?

Maybe some black bar inbetween?

3: Menu

On file select ESC brings you one folder up.

I don't like it.

ESC should bring you bach to the main menu of the Emulator.

Just my feeling about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my compatibility list so far: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjaUH3i3W6R8dHNOb3RncmR1TXV2RnRKMnMtcmpQY3c&usp=sharing

For all of the ones that do not boot, I have tried all the various patches and whatnot for them as well as correctly changing the CRC each time.

The main ones that I request are Kirby Mass Attack and WarioWare D.I.Y., both of which have anti-piracy stuff. (and of course getting the Phoenix Wright bugs fixed as well)
please indicate your testing conditions

which pandora?

frequency/overclock?

and whether the game runs full speed or not

Thanks!!
I ran all of those games at 950MHz, that seems to be the limit for me. Unless I say "slow" in the comments, its full speed :)

Any chance of this getting better crash handling? Seems like the second biggest problem (after poor 3D performance) atm.
Well the current approach is to swat the bugs that are causing it to crash, so that it no longer crashes. :p

It's working too. Exophase was able to resolve the apparently random crashes I was able to capture in Mario Kart DS, which also cleared one up in Final Fantasy IV. (The opening cut-scene actually plays when you start the game now, but I haven't tested beyond that point yet.) I don't believe the beta with these fixes has been released yet though, as Exophase went for some much needed sleep once that was done.

You can help with this by recording crashes using the --input-record function. This will help reproduce the crash, which will then give Exophase something to go on. I posted a script earlier which will allow you to start this mode easily if you wish to do so. It's important not to access the menu while recording.

It's most useful if you can capture a situation where you start the game, load a SaveState (from Slot 0) by pressing L then quickly trigger the crash.

Some idea for the 2 screens:

3:

For two screens above each other:

Any solution for games that play on two screens and use the hinge as "invisible screen part" such as Yoshi's storry?

Maybe some black bar inbetween?

My idea for this is pretty simple, though in most cases awkward to use, and I have no idea if it's practical without slowing things down. Simply put, add an option to rotate the screens through 90 degrees (in either direction), each scaled to 480x360 and display one at the far left of the display and the other at the far right. Certainly for games like Brain Training which are displayed sideways anyway this layout would be ideal.

3: Menu

On file select ESC brings you one folder up.

I don't like it.

ESC should bring you bach to the main menu of the Emulator.

Just my feeling about it.
I would agree with that.
- Neelix

Damn nice piece of software!

In addition to Askarus' suggestions I would like to have the possibility to switch between two screen mode and fullscreen mode while playing by just pressing one button.

Great first release. 

Tested some games:

NSMB - runs great

Mario & Luigi PiT - runs great, crashed after the first battle against Bowser Jr for me though.

Phoenix Wright - good, didn't test this for long

Tetris DS - good

Megaman ZX - great

Tetris Party Deluxe - instant crash to desktop upon load, a shame, as this is the better Tetris game for the DS. :(

Pokemon Heart Gold - crashes after first room, character sprite is garbled. was running at playable speed though (a bit slow, but perfectly playable speed-wise) [not sure is caused by my 256M classic edition pandora, 128MB rom]

Bleach DS - a bit to slow to play since it's a fast-paced fighting game where every frame counts. however expected to be slow.

Yay for translated Phoenix Wright games on the Pandora ^_^

Pokemon Heart Gold - crashes after first room, character sprite is garbled. was running at playable speed though (a bit slow, but perfectly playable speed-wise) [not sure is caused by my 256M classic edition pandora, 128MB rom]
already written it in my compat list,and no its not your pandora,its the game\emu itself.i have a first batch and same issue

I created a page on the wiki for compatibility, I did it quickly so if you can think of better ways to report compatibility or format it go right ahead. :) I added some of the games I tested, I don't have time to do a whole lot right now but it should be a good start.

http://pandorawiki.org/DraStic_Compatibility_List

edit: I went with the repo version number (1.1.0.0), but if you'd rather we use the internal one instead (r0.1p) that would be a quick fix.

Updated categories and added it to Emulator Compatibility Lists and Emulator List pages, anything else?

I played a little New Super Mario Bros. and in level 2-3 I saved (to save slot 0) and than the emulator crashed... whenever I load that save-file the emulator crashes again.

The in-game-save file was gone after that ( I didn't delete it ).

I have a Classic Pandora btw and the game is the european version.

Did sombody else play that far in the game ?

Back