Dosbox Fun

I hope so. I also hope that I can find my original old X-Wing floppies and try that - maybe, being an earlier game, it was lighter on resources and will play better? (well, I can hope - got to find the darned disks first!).

Ta,

I've run X-Wing on my PSP under DOSBOX, and it's very playable. I would imagine the Pandora will do a far better job.

Edit - Actually if someone could provide me with the old DOS version of TIE Fighter, I'd like to give it a test run on PSP DOSbox just to see if the 2500-3000 cycles figure is accurate. If it runs well on the PSP, then we're clearly missing something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope so. I also hope that I can find my original old X-Wing floppies and try that - maybe, being an earlier game, it was lighter on resources and will play better? (well, I can hope - got to find the darned disks first!"].

Ta,[/quote]I've run X-Wing on my PSP under DOSBOX, and it's very playable. I would imagine the Pandora will do a far better job.

Edit - Actually if someone could provide me with the old DOS version of TIE Fighter, I'd like to give it a test run on PSP DOSbox just to see if the 2500-3000 cycles figure is accurate. If it runs well on the PSP, then we're clearly missing something.

please test c&c and red alert ^^

I hope so. I also hope that I can find my original old X-Wing floppies and try that - maybe, being an earlier game, it was lighter on resources and will play better? (well, I can hope - got to find the darned disks first!"].

Ta,
I've run X-Wing on my PSP under DOSBOX, and it's very playable. I would imagine the Pandora will do a far better job.

please test c&c and red alert ^^[/quote]
I would do but I can't find the DOS version of either! You could always play the playstation versions of both games on the Pandora PS1 emulator, although I doubt they're as good as the PC versions.

Pickle, these cycle tests that resulted in 2k-3k were all done at 500mhz, correct? (I found where you said this in an old thread) Could you possibly run it at 600, 750, and the highest it's stable?

does anyone else notice like an extreme amount of extra apostrophes? Like 10 of them in a row on some posts, but others only have 1... What is that? BTW abandonia.com hosts all the real free abandonware dos games (which is legal), I definately plan on playing master of orion with dosbox, some of those RPGs, Tyrian 2000, some RTS, abuse, flashback, strife, hexen, etc...

, I definately plan on playing master of orion with dosbox, some of those RPGs, Tyrian 2000, some RTS, abuse, flashback, strife, hexen, etc...
The extra apostrophes should only be in posts from before the server update, when it was having a big fat nervous breakdown. Apostrophes should be fine now.

Testin', testin'.

Oh, and I'm not so sure on the legality claim, Hexen for example is certainly not abandonware, unless it's the shareware version.

Legality of abandonware?

A couple of months ago... actually, thinking about it I guess it must have been mor elike 6 months ago or so, I noticed movement through the mottled glass of my front door. Wifey said "It's just someone out on the street" but I knew better, it was too close. So after debating for a second or two I opened the front door to find someone stumpling away from my house. He turned back and asked if the bicyle that we had, chained, in the front garden was "being thrown away". Obviously the worse for wear and wishing he didn't have to walk home, in his reduced mental capacity he had been trying to convince himself (and then me) that by putting a bicyle in my front yard - even locking it up with a chain - I was IMPLYING that I had abandoned it.

Seriously, he was looking to take it off my hands for nothing on the basis that my front garden is not sufficiently "mine" for me to expect to keep what is in it.

That is basically the status of so-called "abandoneware". Abandoneware is software that has not been SEEN to be claimed and/or marketed recently - and that is all. It is not software that has been released from ownership/copyright, it's just been found lying in the front yard, sometimes chained up with anti-copyright-viloation techniques. To call "abandoneware" a legitimate legal status is in my mind the same as declaring all front yards as public domain. A step that - when drunk at least - some people have already taken :(

Folks, please let's not turn this into another bloody abandonware slagging fest.

Talk about how well stuff runs in DOSBox @ 2000-3000 cycles.

Say, I've been wondering for a while, how hard would it be to add support for game-specific HLE patches to DOSBox?
It's not something they'd want upstream, but for the purposes of getting a few popular games up and running decently it may provide some quick gratification.

Are the 2000-3000 cycles done at default clock speed?
I did the tests with cycles at max, at the time I only had the mk2 will no working usb, meaning no usb keyboard for quick cycle changes.
Since ive gotten a lot of the todo thing done with the wiz, so i think its time to play with dosbox again. I also have the newer board with work usb so input shouldnt be a problem. Only thing is getting the angstrom firmware right.

I do have xwing/tie fighter so I think i will try those first.

I got Dosbox Wii going and wanted to see how that could stack up against the Pandora, but everything I seem to have lying around either uses much less than 3000 cycles or at least 10000 cycles. Can anyone think of something kind of middle ground that only needs 5000 or so? If I had some suggestions I might be able to go digging for something.
No, I don't have xwing/tie fighter.

I did the tests with cycles at max, at the time I only had the mk2 will no working usb, meaning no usb keyboard for quick cycle changes.
Since ive gotten a lot of the todo thing done with the wiz, so i think its time to play with dosbox again. I also have the newer board with work usb so input shouldnt be a problem. Only thing is getting the angstrom firmware right.

I'm pretty sure he was asking about the clockspeed of the ARM processor. In other words, he wants to know how many cycles we might get if you, say, clocked the ARM to 900 MHz. At least that's what I got out of his post. I'd be curious to know just how many extra cycles overclocking would get us as well.

-God Ginrai

I'm pretty sure he was asking about the clockspeed of the ARM processor. In other words, he wants to know how many cycles we might get if you, say, clocked the ARM to 900 MHz. At least that's what I got out of his post. I'd be curious to know just how many extra cycles overclocking would get us as well.

-God Ginrai
Yeah sorry my mistake. I did get dosbox CVS up and running again last night. I will be doing more tests over the next couple days to gauge the cycles possible under different clock speeds as well.
I did run dark forces last night, while it was very cool to see it running on a handheld, the slideshow gameplay was disapointing (I didnt expect to run well, but i wanted to try :rolleyes: )

/me picks up Dark Forces box (it's one of seveal games I planned to test at 3000 cycles or thereabouts).

/me reads from the spcification box:

CPU: 486/DX 33 or higher highly recommended, 386/DX33 required minimum

It really does FEEL as if DOSBox is somehow making Pandora feel less powerful than we'd all like it to be, to me at least. I wonder - can anyone explain to me if there's a solid reason that the same game for PS1 or Amiga should run faster under emulation than the DOS version would, on the same hardware? I know different coders may have produced different versions of soime games, but it SEEMs bizzarre to me that "the same game" should run faster on an emulated (anything) than on an emulated (any other thing).

/me picks up Dark Forces box (it's one of seveal games I planned to test at 3000 cycles or thereabouts).

/me reads from the spcification box:

CPU: 486/DX 33 or higher highly recommended, 386/DX33 required minimum

It really does FEEL as if DOSBox is somehow making Pandora feel less powerful than we'd all like it to be, to me at least. I wonder - can anyone explain to me if there's a solid reason that the same game for PS1 or Amiga should run faster under emulation than the DOS version would, on the same hardware? I know different coders may have produced different versions of soime games, but it SEEMs bizzarre to me that "the same game" should run faster on an emulated (anything) than on an emulated (any other thing"].[/quote]Simple. The PS1 is a lot less powerful than that type of PC. That's what makes the PS1 easier to emulate. Also, because the PS1 has less power, the developers for games that will come out on both systems will write more optimized code for the PS1 version to make up for the lack of power.

-God Ginrai

Back