Dosbox Fun

I'm having a blast installing old games in DOSBox on a desktop PC to see whether each seems a likely candidate for Pandora
it seems you dont have idea about arm devices and x86 emulation, while comparing pc dosbox and POTENTIAL REAL pandora preformance.

i am trying to get any REAL info and i am ignored so far... you know, maybe 345 $ is not much for ya, i won't buy it without real support and REAL info.

Have you read anything ive posted in this thread? What REAL info are you missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Pickle: Just out of interest, if the dynarec for dosbox for arm architecture was fully implemented, how much would performance be increased, and what else besides that would improve performance?

EDIT: Added a stupid question

EDIT2: removed stupid question

Have you read anything ive posted in this thread? What REAL info are you missing?

there's NO info here lol. i can see just talk bout cycles, not real emulation.
just make dune1 vid for me while ornitopter is taking off and i have everything i need.
That's real.
Make vid with settlers svga emulation, with proper controls(left click right click, right click AND HOLD + view scroll) and that's real.
I am not demanding launching fallout 1(i did this on 400 mhz xscale and n0p's dosbox already - i know it is hopeless) , just simple things, you know.
i've spent hundreds of hours with pocketpc and dosboxes to finally realize, that ppc is just not able to make it. and now i see Pandora.

edit1: removed 3/4 of what i wanted to say. let's say it was stupid.
sry.
you know - it is simple to stay silent as 18000 people here are - but is this a point?

sry for bad english , i am tired and drunk already.;p
i wish you best.

A cycle is a cycle is a cycle is a cycle. A cycle is the emulation. A cycle is everything. That's all the info you really need to know.
If it runs on your PC DosBox at 2000 cycles, feel confident that (unless there's something obscure and totally unexpected going on) it will run just as well on the Pandora DosBox.
So how is there no information in this thread?

If it runs on your PC DosBox at 2000 cycles, feel confident that (unless there's something obscure and totally unexpected going on) it will run just as well on the Pandora DosBox.

ok, i give up. :) i am not bitch, you know.
thx for info, anyway.

just check ADOM to gain my point of view.
just
simple
ascii
game.

Actually, I was under the impression that clock speed would make a difference in the cycles needed for acceptable performance in dosbox. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I am a little drunk...

P.S. Don't drink and post. :)

Actually, I was under the impression that clock speed would make a difference in the cycles needed for acceptable performance in dosbox. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I am a little drunk...
P.S. Don't drink and post. :)

The clockspeed of the processor in your device does effect the MAXIMUM number of cycles dosbox will be possible of. But 1 dosbox cycle ALWAYS is 1 dosbox cycle. So my theory is that if you run a game on an x86/ppc/etc and it takes 2000 dosbox cycles to run, then as long as the pandora can do 2000 or more cycles it should perform the same, it at least should give you a good ballpark.

Thanks for the reply Pickle. I was a little confused as to how the cycles in dosbox were relevant to clock speed and thingy. The reason I was so interested is because for example, raptor call of the shadows did not run well in dosbox on my eee pc at 3000 cycles, but it seems to run rather well on the psp. I will have to double check as it was a little while ago when I tried it. But it ran awfully where it seems to run smoothly on a psp. But then again I may have done something wrong while configuring dosbox when I tested it.

Same thing happened with Blake Stone, which as far as I recall without checking the forum, someone here said it ran smoothly at 3000 cycles, but I had poor results on my eee pc 701 at the same number of cycles. Anyway, as long as Blake Stone runs, everything else I want to play will most likely work. I dont expect games like Blood or Carmageddon to work.

Incidentally, has anyone tried Carmageddon for laughs?

And has anyone tried Shadow of Yserbius and Fates of Twinion?

EDIT: Apparently, the third chapter of the Yserbius/Twinion games, The Ruins of Cawdor, has been patched for offline play and the patch can be found at http://www.xensoft.com/Downloads/Yserbius.zip .

The specifications for the 701, according to WikipediaQUOTE
900 MHz Intel Celeron-M ULV 353, clocked at 630 MHz (70 MHz x 9)
630 MHz may not be enough to even run at 3000 cycles on your EEE. Can you increase the cycles while playing either of those games (Blake Stone or Raptor) until they are acceptable? At what cycle count do they become acceptable?
If they never reach an acceptable speed, try bringing it down to 2500 or so. If you specify more cycles than the CPU can actually emulate, it will make things slower.

My eee pc 701 is running at 900mhz. I can't remember off the top of my head exactly how many cycles I tried. It was a while ago.

the eee 701 is running faster than people tend to think, ive run warcraft 3 and gta: vc smoothly before and even demanding games like gta: san andreas as well as c&c generals ran acceptably.

Im pretty sure the eee can hold many more dosbox cycles; guess i'll try it out soon when i have more time.

the eee 701 is running faster than people tend to think, ive run warcraft 3 and gta: vc smoothly before and even demanding games like gta: san andreas as well as c&c generals ran acceptably.

Im pretty sure the eee can hold many more dosbox cycles; guess i'll try it out soon when i have more time.
of course it can its x86. I dont people realize theres 2 separate dynarec's in dosbox. There a dedicated one for x86 and the C dynarec for everything else. The x86 can do more than the C one.

Loonie said:
Pickle posted on May 28 2009 at 02:11 PM said:
I dont even have many of these games and I think most of them are too much.
I dont think games like duke3d or blood are going to run nicely. We are talking wolf3d level of performance. So think 386 and low 486.

Yes, frankly I wouldn't expect miracles. I'm just curious. After all, it's not been that long since PCs were powerful enough to put in a decent DosBox Blood performance.

As far as Duke3D is concerned, there are OpenGL-based engines with source code that could likely be made to provide better results for Duke and Shadow Warrior, and additionally the source for both those games is available, thanks to the late great 3DRealms.

An OpenGL Blood engine still remains the "holy grail" of build games. No one seems to know who precisely owns the rights to this game, and no one seems to know where the Blood source code even is.
If anyone here likes Blood, please support!

http://postmortem.edgegaming.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1142&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=source+code&start=0

http://blood.sourceforge.net/bloodsource.php

http://www.petitiononline.com/bloodsrc/petition.html

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518084

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11244840#post11244840

Back