Dosbox Fun

That's great news! I'd imagine X-Wing would work just fine then as well (never did like being an imperial...). ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, Tie Fighter worked great for me at 2500 cycles! (EDIT, with most graphical settings set to low)

Jeepers creepers, wasn't expecting that. Delays were fine until I find out I'm waiting to play Tie Fighter. Need Pandora now. :D

(Do have the cd, guess I could always run DOSBOX on the desktop, but I don't have a Joystick. :( )

Here are some games that people have got working in Dosbox on the N810 (which seems to max out at about 1300 cycles).

That's great news! I'd imagine X-Wing would work just fine then as well (never did like being an imperial...). ;"] [/quote]
Great news :D

Hmmm - I thought someone had tested it and said it was unplayable, but I can't find it in THIS thread
That was probably me (in the comments on the Unofficial Blog), and it was a slide-show at 3000 cycles, 320x200 resolution, and all details set to minimum.

If a cycle is a cycle, then I'm (sadly) confident of my results (but would be most delighted to be proven wrong!)

Can people please ensure that they are genuinely running the games at the number of cycles they claim? By default, DOSBox (0.73"] would start up showing 3000 cycles, but would then switch itself to 'maximum' cycles as soon as I started a game for which it deemed that a useful thing to do. Keeping it restricted to 3000 whilst playing games required a configuration change. See this comment for details:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...t-member-733382

Or else type this at the command line before running the game: CODE
config -set "cpu cycles=3000"[/quote]And if you did get a previous report wrong, please go back and edit it so that bad data is removed from this thread.

Here are the other games I've tried at 3000 cycles:

* Ultima Underworld (sluggish but -- barely -- playable with floor and ceiling textures disabled; far too slow with more detail than that.)
* Earthworm Jim (runs in slow-motion.)
* UFO (also sluggish -- particularly moving the geoscape -- but not too bad in a mission.)
* Warcraft 2 (likewise sluggish but playable. Scrolling was unpleasantly slow, though.)
* Cannon Fodder (ran really nicely.)
* Chuck Yeager's Air Combat (runs pretty nicely even with several planes in the air, and with details down low it's even smooth at 2000 cycles.)
* Red Baron (runs decently in a one-on-one dogfight, but four enemy planes up close destroyed the frame-rate.)

Psycho Pinball is very slow at 3000 cycles with normal core. Not playable even over frameskip 2.

I suppose I must bear with the Sega Megadrive version, although I prefer the minigames on the PC version over the fullscreen games on the Megadrive version.

@Shadocat Absolutely positive that I had Tie Fighter running at 2500 cycles. It was definitely playable. Maybe a little slow with a lot of ships or something up close but was definitely playable. It ran better at 2500 cycles than it did when I originally played it.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7lrbpTFCYk (I shouldn't be doing this at work.......)

would start up showing 3000 cycles, but would then switch itself to 'maximum' cycles as soon as I started a game for which it deemed that a useful thing to do. Keeping it restricted to 3000 whilst playing games required a configuration change.
Yup, I ran my games with max 3000 Cycles................well maybe i ran the game with 2800 cycles but it never went above 3000 cycles. ;)

^ That's a fantastic port.
I thought I'd try out SC2 and SC3 anyway. My SC2 files are corrupted, but I had success with SC3. It's a little slow. I went straight into melee combat, it ran at about 5fps. Playable IMO, but not very snappy. I persisted with Lucasarts Battle of Britain on the GP2X at a similar framerate, just because I loved the game so much. :) Incidentally, BoB will run like a dream on Pandora. I imagine SC2 will run nicely too.

Also tried Master of Orion, all good.

Thanks, Gruso! 5fps isn't too great, I'll admit, though it probably runs better when it's in space exploration mode rather than in melee combat (also, maybe the melee mode runs better when it's in 2D mode? SC3 allowed you to switch between "isometric 3D" and "traditional 2D")

Could you please let me know how you got SC3 to work? Do you have a CD version, or one of the cracked ones without the sound files? (you can PM me if you think it would muddy the thread)

I tested C&C on page 6 of this threat.

Heres the videolink again:

C&C 3000 cycles

I've installed DOSBox 0.72, have tested it with Prince of Persia enough to suss out minor changes that might bite me on the asp, and am installing TIE fighter from floppies as I speak. Are there any other setting s(like core type) that we'd want to se aside from cycles?

TIE Fighter, original 3.5" floppy version for DOS... with everything set to low and sound castrated to 11025 Hz... still no go :( it looks great, but you don't have to get through many levels of the training simulator before it becomes apparent, at 3000 cycles, that the game is struggling to update the screen - and it gets jerkier and jerkier as the complexity of the mission increases.

I'm going to go and sulk now :(

@Shadocat Absolutely positive that I had Tie Fighter running at 2500 cycles. It was definitely playable. Maybe a little slow with a lot of ships or something up close but was definitely playable.
EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7lrbpTFCYk
Okay, I think we're just differing in definitions of playable. In that video, between about the 25 and 30 second mark, the lone target ship passes by at no more than 3 frames per second. I simply couldn't play TIE Fighter like that.

Okay, I think we're just differing in definitions of playable. In that video, between about the 25 and 30 second mark, the lone target ship passes by at no more than 3 frames per second. I simply couldn't play TIE Fighter like that.
Aw man, I've got to agree with Shadowcat after seeing that video... Playing it at that speed simply wouldn't do the fond memories I have of that series justice. :( I was excited until I saw that...

Played TIE Fighter a little more and yeah I see that it is slow at times, but to me playable and perfect are very far apart. Maybe I just had a crappy computer when I played it, but it playing it "slow" is still fun for me. Oh well, sorry to excite you.

Played TIE Fighter a little more and yeah I see that it is slow at times, but to me playable and perfect are very far apart. Maybe I just had a crappy computer when I played it, but it playing it "slow" is still fun for me. Oh well, sorry to excite you.
Try the training loop rather than flying with just a couple of items onscreen at once - the training hoop quickly gets too jerky to play smoothly. Try at 3000 cycles and 5000 cycles for comparison, and up to day lap 8 on each... at 3000 gameplay is badly hindered IMHO :(

With much less on the screen it definately looks playable, but complexity builds up quickly in the game IIRC.

Yeah, I haven't played it in years and barely remember it. I can see with more polygons rendering it would slow pretty badly. Oh well... maybe dosbox will get better?

Back