Dosbox Fun

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
well i played with dosbox with the dynamic core tonight and I had some fun. Thanks M-HT!

cycles seem to between 2k and 3k, no surprise, although I ended up using max. I didnt have to guess a number and things just ran perfect with it

Test subjects:
Blake Stone: playable with no sound, overclock and we may have it all sound and all the gfx goodies. Will run fullspeed with everything turned off

Keen 4: smooth as glass, with sound

Alone in the Dark: fullspeed, not bad, didnt run with sound

Stunts: Fullspeed! I was surprised by this one, very smooth with sound

duke1: actually ran this with the normal core yesterday and ran fine

Hopefully this gives everyone a better idea on what can run. I may do more tests, its a pain right now as my usb croaked so all the keyboard input is through the angstrom virtual keyboard and pecking at the pandora contacts with a joystick rubber mat I stole from a psx controller.

Haha, Commander Keen! Can't wait to get my pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey can you try the game called Liero? Maybe post a video soon? :)

Thank you, Pickle!

Blake Stone... my, that brings back memories. I'd love to be able to play through that game again. Hopefully its performance will improve with time.

And that Keen 4 runs perfectly is excellent news (Keen 6 was my favourite, though). I'm really looking forward to playing through all of those Apogee games again.

P.S. Does anyone know what the system requirements of "Stunts" are? I can't find them anywhere.

'Esn' said:
Thank you, Pickle!

Blake Stone... my, that brings back memories. I'd love to be able to play through that game again. Hopefully its performance will improve with time.

And that Keen 4 runs perfectly is excellent news (Keen 6 was my favourite, though). I'm really looking forward to playing through all of those Apogee games again.

P.S. Does anyone know what the system requirements of "Stunts" are? I can't find them anywhere.
CODE
http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~abatko/index/?t=interests&s=stunts

I don't know the game and this might not be it but:

HARDWARE Requirements (original/minimum):
Stunts requires an Intel 8086 processor (or compatibles) running with 8 MHz or faster. You will also need a video card, such as Hercules, CGA, EGA, MCGA/VGA, 640K of memory and a 5.25" or 3.5" disk drive. AdLib, SoundBlaster or Roland MT-32 sound cards and Joystick or Mouse are supported.

Count Tuxula said:
'alfaalex101' said:
Hey can you try the game called Liero? Maybe post a video soon? :)
http://code.google.com/p/openliero/
Open source, linux and SDL.

Ah. I know the dev for that. We were both part of the LieroX community. Great guy.

Anyways, Pickle, any chance you could try running Red Alert on DosBox? It's been released for free by EA in honor of Red Alert 3's release.

-God Ginrai

Ah Blake Stone, quick GIS and I remember that. I also remember it felt like a reskin of Wolf 3D, no? Still sounds like we're below the PSP for Dosbox, at this point anyway.

1 word
Fury of the Furries!

Can anyone spot the error with this post.

seriously don't even bother replying hehe

'Esn' said:
There seem to be two games with quite similar names.
This is the PC one I used to play on a 286:

Stunts for DOS

The other one is Stunt car racer (who knows why they list is as Stunt TRACK racer..

1 word
Fury of the Furries!

Agree, used to love that game! Especially the green "rope" fury :)

Thanks, Pickle! That all sounds great news. Can I ask what the likelihood of getting Alone In The Dark working with sound is?

Requesting testing of:

Frontier Elite II.
Laserproof Elite 3;)
Master of Orion 2

ROGUE!!!

Taking requests ehh?

I see what I can do, red alert and c&c I can probably try, I do have the Decade pack, although I dont remember if the dos version are in it. If they dont I can get the free version.

I think the PSP might be faster because of the MIPS dynamic core, I believe the MIPS have more registers than ARM, which can improve a dynamic core performance.

'Pickle' said:
Taking requests ehh?

I see what I can do, red alert and c&c I can probably try, I do have the Decade pack, although I dont remember if the dos version are in it. If they dont I can get the free version.

I think the PSP might be faster because of the MIPS dynamic core, I believe the MIPS have more registers than ARM, which can improve a dynamic core performance.
awwwww, does that mean we cant get anything better? :( i mean, im very glad that keen works, those are my 100% favorite old timer games, i used to play those games for 2 years long when i was about 8 years old :p
but id love to see red alert and c&c working on full speed :)
dosbox on the psp is very cool, you just have to put time in making the config file before you boot the game.
Then you have very good controls!!! if someone needs a tutorial just ask here. maby its also nice to use on the pandora :)

Back