Donating my Pandora to Waitlisted Developer

*bump* Any updates? I'm always curious to see what my old Pandora has been up to lately :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I did "release" Guru Logic Champs on the Pandora in a thread around here somewhere. It's not on the Repo as it's not running as smooth or as fast as I want (I've just not had time to really optimize it). See post #4 here - http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/12329-port-request-guru-logic-champs/#entry231115

I also won theOriginal Game category in the recent DragonBox Coding comp with AquaVenture

I've released several games on the repo, including -

MinedOut!

Hallowian

Frootopia

Dicey

I've also done a few private apps for Pandora owners as well as the unfinished game Dino Defense and loads of other WIPs that haven't yet seen the light of day, including a MahJong Solitaire game that is running nicely on the Pandora, but haven't yet released.

So your "old" Pandora has certainly had a "new" lease of life and is well used and well loved. Thanks for passing it on to Cloudef and eventually to me (although I did rightly pay p&p and give a grateful donation as a thankyou).

There's plenty of life left in the "old" girl, I can assure you :D

Every chance. Once it's done.
let me rephrase then:

Any chance this will be done eventually (meaning a timescale where I don't have to pass on a note to my grandchildren, to try it out :p ) ?

There's always a chance...

I'm nearing the end of development of a private Pandora app and I have some real-life work related issues that may have a significant impact on my coding life, but I do plan to go back to DD soon.

The biggest problem for DD is the backgrounds tbh. I'm perfectly happy creating small images/characters and animations (see AquaVenture), but i really hate doing large bitmap images. There just isn't enough time in the day, motivation or talent to create large vistas (even 480x320 is more than twice as large as I'd like). I might have to simplify them significantly to get the job done.

What kind of background would you need?

If I can find some time I could have a go at creating something and you can tell me if it is useable.

I guess it should be pixel art style?

I've got three or four background theme ideas I want to create which are significantly different to the one already available. These would allow me to introduce new problems, dinos, other animals and tactics to deal with them...

I want to have a consistent style to the game, so different people creating different things isn't going to work and they would have to be freely available for me to use on any other formats i want to port the game to - free or commercial.

I have no problems with giving you images under creative commons or stuff. Even for a commercial project. Of course the style has to match, but that is something one can work on. Especially when there is pixelart it is not that bad to have multiple people working on something imho.

Here are some examples of what I want for DinoDefense

Desert plain - similar to what I have now.

prehistoric.jpg

Jungle style background

jungle.jpg

Arctic

arctic.jpg

River

river.jpg

Sunset

sunset.jpg

I'm not after duplicates, but those are pretty much the basics of what I want to see, but in a consistent cartoon-stylized style. ie Simplified as much as possible, but retaining the essence. I will need to be able blur them, so that they appear in the distant background, but I need the full focus images to enable porting. Pixel art isn't absolutely necessary, but that does make things more consistent.

There you go, that gives some insight into what I have planned and what I need to get the job (finally) done :)

Its exciting to see the possibility of some Dino Defense based progress in the works

What do you think about this?

Quick draft. Still needs shading and a ton of detail, but before I start putting hours into a backgroundimage I would like to know if I should stop here.

jungle.png

It's very good, but not what I'm after I'm afraid. I have very clear views of what I want - I'm a bit of a perfectionist in that sense, which is why something like DD has taken so long.

Thanks anyway mcobit.

As for it becoming a developer thread - err, the original Pandora was given away FOR developing stuff on, to a developer, who then passed it on to another developer, who's developing games for the community. For free.

Ok, no problem. Maybe I'll finish this anyway.

Hope you get the time to finish DD soon :)

i really hate doing large bitmap images
You could use photos off the web, or take some photos yourself, or use the ones you already showed us, or whatever...

I like pixel art games with backgrounds based on real photos, it can work very well (e.g. Samorost, Knytt Underground).

Just a random thought, if you're perfectionist you might need to poke each pixel yourself!

By the way, I enjoyed Aquaventure very much ... bring on round two!

(why not release it as a commercial app for a month or two, and then make it free - we lack commercial apps!)

I would never release anything commercially on Pandora - I have other possible formats for that.

Glad you liked AquaVenture. There will be more to see of DD and AV in the future... And they'll be on Pandora first and for free.

Back