Donating my Pandora to Waitlisted Developer

Matthias_H

Hi,

I just noticed it's been almost a year since I received my Pandora. Since then, I've touched it once or twice (the last time was when we moved to Canada back in May) but otherwise, it is pretty much in its original state. Essentially, all I've done is confirmed that my own gadget works on the Pandora, and that's it. I found the rounded keys and odd layout (special characters etc), the stylus, and frankly pretty much everything else as well, incredibly painful to get used to, and I already have more laptops than I really need. What I'm feeling right now is a mixture of pride for supporting the project with my order, and disappointment because the Pandora does not really seem to be for me after all.

Now it would be a shame to let my little Pandora decay to dust (or at least be covered in it) when someone else could be enjoying the hell out of it. I realize there are quite a few early-day preorderers who still haven't received their unit. I went "premium" last year because I thought I wanted it so badly, but almost a year later and still no land in sight for the regular units, it feels more like I have taken it away from someone else. Thanks to a decent daytime job (and a nighttime one, see Retrode), I'm not too desperate for my money back. Here's how I imagine that it could work:

• My Pandora shall go, at no cost, to someone in replacement for their pre-ordered unit (I speak of real full-price pre-orders, not the recent $10 ones).
  • It shall benefit the community by going to someone with a significant record of contribution to open-source projects, and the expressed intent to contribute cool stuff to the Pandora's app library.
  • The community shall take care of the decision whoever gets to have it.
  • Craig shall pay for worldwide express shipping. (He doesn't know yet, but he will have to agree.)
For the record, this is about a Pandora with zipper case, replacement battery and stylus, and European power supply. It is located in Vancouver, Canada. I'll also throw in a USB ethernet adapter from panda-usb.com, not tested.

Take it away, folks! :) I won't be checking back too frequently, but in urgent cases I can be reached at matthias with retrode point org. Don't contact me if you want to have the device, since I won't be involved in the decision. (I do reserve a veto right, though.)

Best regards,
Matthias

Edit by Gadgetoid ( yell at me if I get this wrong! ):

Possible candidates ( "?" denotes unconfirmed ):

Ari64?
Cloudef
nemo?
drkIIRaziel?

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps it could be another Prize for the coding competition?

^ I honestly don't think you can expect him to - the only shipping I'd expect the company to cover, is that of sending it out in the first place.

So, that noted, would anyone else be willing to pitch in a fiver for the shipping? I'll put one forward.

I can help with shipping too. I hope the Pandora goes to someone who has worked on some prolific software and would like the opportunity to port it.

^ I honestly don't think you can expect him to - the only shipping I'd expect the company to cover, is that of sending it out in the first place.

So, that noted, would anyone else be willing to pitch in a fiver for the shipping? I'll put one forward.

Uhm, again: I'm giving my Pandora back so he can get away with an undelivered (yet paid-for) preorder. In other words, I'm essentially donating OpenPandora the value of one device. How could he possibly deny? If he still does, I'll cover the non-express shipping, and he can go back to discovering HTML5.

Uhm, again: I'm donating my Pandora back so he can get away with an undelivered (yet paid-for) preorder. How could he deny?

You, sir, are several different kinds of awesome. This is a noble and kind gesture, and I hope it really benefits someone who has either already made valuable contributions to this community, or who could do if they had a Pandora to hand.

If Craig doesn't pay, I'll scream, and scream until I'm sick. Although I think you might want to look to ED to foot the bill for shipping, now.

P.S. If anyone questions getting a technically pre-owned Pandora instead of the "new" one they've pre-ordered, I'll smack them. This is Matthias-Freakin'-Retrode-Hullin. Such a Pandora has a great deal of geeky nerd worth.

P.S. If anyone questions getting a technically pre-owned Pandora instead of the "new" one they've pre-ordered, I'll smack them. This is Matthias-Freakin'-Retrode-Hullin. Such a Pandora has a great deal of geeky nerd worth.
Haha, simmer down. It's not as if I ever actually used it :D

Haha, simmer down. It's not as if I ever actually used it :D

I'll never understand pop celebrity culture, which assigns unnecessary worth and adoration to people who, essentially, do nothing but cock about their entire lives making a half arsed attempt to occasionally do something worthwhile in front of a camera, or sing a nice ditty.

Thus, the absolute complete and total indifference I have to these mainstream "celebrity" figures must be balanced with an equal amount of worth and adoration laden upon some geeky worthwhile "celebrity"

The excellent Pandora devs, those who made the Pandora possible, and makers of all things shiny and cool; they are my celebrities!

Anyway, unnecessary over explanation aside... How are we to decide upon a worthy cause?

+1 for Cloudef.. Probably one of the most important devs that don't have a Pandora :)

Failing that mcobit. :)

Cloudef, you should really get a Pandora, they're pretty sweet!

hrm, slightly used CC-made board with 256MB now or brand new germany-made board with 512MB later ?

I'm up for the exchange.

but I can test my game using the BB and volunteers so I'm good,

my vote goes to Cloudef if he wants to do the exchange.

Back