Doctor Who

WarmFluffyUK

The Big Wad Bolf.
Website
www.retrotech.one
Well I think we all know all about Doctor Who now, but I have a question for those new(ish) to the series...

As you are probably aware, Doctor who has a legacy dating back to 1964 and I am one of those who was a fan of the original series. I joined the doctor during the mid John Pertwee years and my favourite doctor is Tom Baker (Even though David Tennant is ultra cute).

So this is for those of you who are new (As in the new series) to Doctor who and probably have Sky digital (DVD episodes too), have you watched any of the original series, and if so, what are your comments?

I would love to hear you feelings of episodes such as "The Arc in space" and "Destiny of the Daleks".

One thing you should remember, the original series had amazing story writers, but had a budget of a small ape, i.e. Peanuts. So you have to forgive the trashy effects and wobbly sets. But the atmosphere was kewl.

I recently got one of the first Dalek episodes on DVD and was in Black and white and William Hartnell was the Doctor. I had never seen this and was well before my time, but watching it I was glued to the screen. I know it was cheap but there was an atmosphere there that was scary and kept me watching. The Dalek voices were not as intimidating, but they still were "evil".

I would really like to hear comments from fans of the new series please. And those who are not a fan, please don't bother posting as I am not interested in flames about this and that who did what and physics etc. Fans only please!

I started watching Doctor Who around last year, starting with the new series 1 and was instantly hooked, especially after series 2 finale, but I never really got into the original series. There are just too many episodes to watch (over 700), so I can't really be bothered (although I've seen the movie with the 8th doctor).

As youngster the low budget effects and sets would probably be a turn-off for me anyway. :rolleyes:

I didn't really like the last few releases of DW to be honest. The series 3 finale was quite good but imho screwed up when the doctor turned into Dobby the house-elf (and returned to normal because everyone was thinking of him?!) and the christmas special was just plain bad. :( Here's hoping season 4 will be good.

I never got into Doctor Who. Something about it put me off. I think it might have had something to do with PBS's odd decision to schedule it right after Sesame Street. To go from Bert and Ernie to a robot repeating "EXTERMINATE" is a little unsettling for a 4 year old.

WarmFluffyUK said:
I recently got one of the first Dalek episodes on DVD and was in Black and white and William Hartnell was the Doctor. I had never seen this and was well before my time, but watching it I was glued to the screen. I know it was cheap but there was an atmosphere there that was scary and kept me watching. The Dalek voices were not as intimidating, but they still were "evil".
About 15 years ago me and a friend of mine went through a Doctor Who stage whe our local video store had loads of them available to rent. It struck us then that the special effects on the Hartnell and Troughton era stuff were better than what came after because it was easier to do them in black and white than in colour. They could use cardboard backgrounds and you didn't really notice in black and white but they would look stupid in colour. I remember that it took us a while to notice that the Tardis background was just a piece of cardboard with circles painted on rather than the plastic round windows used in the colour shows.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a few of these new ones and thought they were "ok". They are just too short and seem to have to cram things in too quick to make their 40 minute time slot. I used to watch the original ones here in the US when they were on PBS. To be honest I liked the old ones alot better. They just seemed to be better and have much more "mood" to them. They were long enough to be full of depth. I didnt mind the cheesy effects that much. The sets were actually not that bad, and many times were very good.

I just wish that there was a definitive box set for the whole original series. Now you have to buy piece meal and that has put me off from buying any of the DVDs. Hopefully they will come out as a complete set on Blu ray or something.

I liked the series when I was a kid but I preferred the books. Fantastic stuff. No cheap effects in a book it's all there in vivid surround sound and 3D ;)

My first post in ages! Good to be back.

I saw the first of the new lot not long after they came out (The Eccleston stuff) and really liked it. Sadly I can't comment on anything since as I no longer live in the country and am such a pauper to not even be online at home. However as a (sadly) aging fan of the originals (Just like Fluffy originally Pertwee but formative years T Baker) I thought what I saw was done well and fairly stylishly, with enough of a nod to the past without being over the top.

After Paul McGann's well meaning but ultimately shat throw of the dice,which will forever have him in my mind as the George Lazenby of Who,I was happy. Mates of mine still in Blighty have talked well of what has come since and I am at least looking forward to seeing them.

My only concern is the way the actors seem too ready to move on for fear of typecasting and hence rush us towards that final regeneration. I think it is all to easy for established fans to get too obsessed about sometihng that was essentially just entertainment when we were kids. It still seems to entertain to me.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Well I think we all know all about Doctor Who now...
Nope, afaik here in Germany 99.99% of the People never heard of this Series. For a over 40 Year running show pretty amazing. ^^
There was a short intermezzo in the early 90's but of course it was not successfu.l When you have no clue about the dozens of older sessions its not that good to start somewhere in the middle. :D

On "Pro7" they started with this new Session a while ago, with the "Invisible Man" from Heros. But AFAIK the Series is canceld after a fiew episodes - lack of audience. :lol: They shouldn't bring this series Saturday Afternoon. And because of this, some episodes were cut to.

I'm not a fan of Dr. Who, I have seen some of the 90's and some of the new episodes but i'm not into it. For a noob it's just to weird and trashy. ^_^ (Was this Series always THAT trashy? :lol: )
But i love the Into Music! "Whummbadum...Whummbadum...Whummbadum..Whummbadumm..:" with a good Bass Box this baseline can kill people! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the US but used to watch it when we could get it... Tom Baker was/is my fave. On a related note, I have the two Dr. Who movies (Dr. Who and the Daleks, Daleks' Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D.) that Peter Cushing made... anyone seen/like them?

Doctor Who has always been great, and the new series are even better than the old ones, but when I got hooked on Torchwood I soon realised Doctor Who would never really do it for me again.

Back