Most Offtopic Reference To Pandora Ever :) Due Forgive.

skeezix said:
They simply, imho, cannot destroy the TARDIS; it is both iconic (Dr Who and the police box, the big blue box, its vital!), and it is the only constant over the whole show (well, and the Sonic Screwdriver perhaps.) I mean, the very first doctor had it I think (been a long time since I watched those, I tell you!)
the TARDIS has had a broken chameleon circuit since the original Doctor, yes. The 3rd doctor spent his free time while working with UNIT trying to fix it, and managed some success but never got it working perfectly. I think by this time he's gotten too attached to the old police box and wouldn't be interested in changing it if he could.
The sonic screwdriver appeared partially through the second Doctor, but he acted as if he'd always had it. It was written out for several seasons after the 4th Doctor before returning with the... 7th Doctor, I believe.
I spent most of last year watching the entire series from beginning to end.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Sonic Screw Driver is used (In the new series) as a plot element to quickly get through doors, thus cutting down needless story telling time which would be taken up by lock picking etc. Mind you, it doesn't do wood LOL. I do remember John Pertwee and Tom Baker using it a lot.

On an unrelated note: I wonder if they will ever revisit the idea that the Master is the Doctors Brother, which was the idea before the original actor who played the Master (Roger Delgado) was killed and thus that story was cancelled, and the idea possibly shelved.

Wiz -- the entire series? Good Crom, where do you have the free time? Not that I've back-of-the-enveloped it, but theres a lot of DW :) How many hours is it?

(I'm tempted to ask the big question -- what are the best stories? But thats too big .. all the cyberman and daleks are a given, but I always loved Ark in Space. Well, or anythign with Unit, or K-9. Or anythign with Pertwee. Or the second or first docs.. well, its all good :)

As most, I always loved the 4th Doc the most, but rewatching some of my favourites has damaged it a little for me -- tipping me more towards Pertwee - evidently my tastes as a kid are different than my tastes now, somewhat; still, Key to Time ftw :) Really, I liked the first doc a lot, and the 3rd and 4th. But you know, I really like all the new docs. Eccleston didn't have a lkong run, but some really really good performances there. Placing them in any ranking is tough of course, but I never cared much for Sylvester McCoy or Colin Baker, but I've not watched those since.. well, since they originally aired.

Watching the whole series - man, thats awesome, I'm tempted. I'm slowly working through re-watching all the new series (bought all the DVDs when they were on 50% off at Amazon .. I mean, BBC pricing is disgusting outside of the UK); I wish the BBC would figure their shit out when it comes to the older DW's -- its just not feasible to buy the 'complete show' or even small chunks of it, at the prices they want. ie: They're basicly ensuring 99% of any interested DW fans will go to torrents, its absolutely infeasible to buy any of it. But I pick up a story every few months.

Damn all of you who have so much free time, may the Stones of Blood feast on your souls!

jeff

WarmFluffyUK said:
P.S. My Favourite Doctor is Tom Baker. The original series rocked, and so does the new one, but in different ways.
Isn't it everyones favorite? I liked all of them in different ways though. I guess that was the cool thing was that the show has a different mood with the different doctors.

To me the original was more moody and had a much non-mainstream feel.

I just wish there was one box set that you could get with all original episodes. It seems you have to buy disk by disk which would cost a fortune.

skeezix said:
(I'm tempted to ask the big question -- what are the best stories? But thats too big .. all the cyberman and daleks are a given, but I always loved Ark in Space. Well, or anythign with Unit, or K-9. Or anythign with Pertwee. Or the second or first docs.. well, its all good :)

Oddly enough there are a few stories of the original series that really stuck out for me:

Planet of the Spiders - Let me just say that I hate spiders, in fact they make my skin crawl and I freeze when one is near me, so having a huge spider on your back controlling you was the ultimate in arachnophobia for me. Poor Sarah Jane Smith...

Robot - I truly felt sorry for the robot at the end. He wasn't nasty or anything, He was just misused by yet another evil power crazed twit.

Planet of Evil - This really scared me, I had nightmares for weeks after this. The creature was like the one in the film Forbidden Planet. You could only see a red outline, and the noise it made turned my blood cold. I remember it was winter at the time and it was dark and that probably added to my terror :)

Earthshock - I know Cybermen are a given, but this stuck out because I cried for ages as Adric died at the end. It was kind of a shock to see one of the Doctor's companions biting the bullet, especially such a cute one.

The Sea Devils always scared the bjeezers out of me. The way they walked out of the sea was very effective, and they looked so nasty too!

DaveC said:
I just wish there was one box set that you could get with all original episodes. It seems you have to buy disk by disk which would cost a fortune.
Talking of box sets, I would love to have a box set of every Dalek story from TOS to TNS, and I bet if they did that it would also cost a fortune!

I remember those. They were great too.

I am trying to remember the name of one I thought was good but I can't . It was one where they were on a ship and androids were suspected of murders. Peope didn't trust the androids because the androids couldn't show facial expressions. What the he'll was that one?

Anyway you are reminding me of some great episodes. I wish I could have access to those. Being from the US my options are even more limited. Maybe a big box set on blu-Ray will come out someday.

I first saw this series on PBS here but they stopped airing those long ago. They played the whole story at once and not broken up.

Yes I remember that one, the evil ones had red glowing eyes. The story was called Robots of death and here's a picture of one of the evil robots:
c14-05-05.jpg

Who else is watching right now?

EDIT: Holy crap.

quote said:
The only Dr. Who episode I ever enjoyed was Blink.
Blink was a typical Moffat script and was incredibly good, especially for a 45 minute story. Doctor Who has a huge Legacy and I quite enjoy almost all the stories, but every series has good and bad stories.

It's funny that my boyfriend isn't really a Doctor Who fanatic, but he seems to be liking this years series, he also loved Blink and The Girl in the fireplace, he was especially happy when he heard Moffat was taking over for RTD because Moffat wrote those two episodes.

I think that this years series has been pretty exceptional, compared to the RTD era which always had one or two really terrible stories, Moffat seems to have done really well.

Here's my big fear though, in the past the first of the two end episodes has had an amazing build up and cliffhanger, but the 2nd episode has sometimes been a little bit of a let down, almost as if RTD ran out of ideas or was not up to the job of writing an amazing way out of said cliffhanger. I am expecting big things from Moffat as he's a very clever writer, I soo hope the last episode doesn't fall flat on its ass.

WarmFluffyUK said:
quote said:
The only Dr. Who episode I ever enjoyed was Blink.
Blink was a typical Moffat script and was incredibly good, especially for a 45 minute story. Doctor Who has a huge Legacy and I quite enjoy almost all the stories, but every series has good and bad stories.

It's funny that my boyfriend isn't really a Doctor Who fanatic, but he seems to be liking this years series, he also loved Blink and The Girl in the fireplace, he was especially happy when he heard Moffat was taking over for RTCD because Moffat wrote those two episodes.

I think that this years series has been pretty exceptional, compared to the RTD era which always had one or two really terrible stories, Moffat seems to have done really well.

Here's my big fear though, in the past the first of the two end episodes has had an amazing build up and cliffhanger, but the 2nd episode has sometimes been a little bit of a let down, almost as if RTD ran out of ideas or was not up to the job of writing an amazing way out of said cliffhanger. I am expecting big things from Moffat as he's a very clever writer, I soo hope the last episode doesn't fall flat on its ass.

I am the same as your boyfriend. I've never cared much for Doctor Who, but this year, I took notice, and now I'm trapped. I might have to go back to the show's roots and watch all the oldies.

This penultimate episode really had a feeling of dread surrounding it, which built up higher and higher throughout the course of the 40 minutes. The final minute or so left me with such an intense feeling of helplessness that I'm going to be thinking about it all week until the conclusion. A very fine job indeed.

x68000 said:
Can we please get back off-topic B)
Absolutely.... NOT! This is far too interesting to those who are interested LOL

By the way, I wonder how many enemies that are seen that we don't know about that will feature in next years, or possibly the Christmas Special, are in this episode?

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo.... is it The Master controlling the TARDIS? Or maybe Davros??? hmmmmmmm

pssst.. The Empty Child two parter is my favouritest episode of the new series' so far, and not just because of Captain Jack :p

I'm sure they've been in before and I've just missed them, but those green dome head things are awesome.

skeezix said:
Need to know ;) Are the Sarah Jane Advents worth tracking down?

jeff
I think so. Elisabeth Sladen is quite a good actor. Took me most of the first season to really start enjoying it at all, though.

The Sarah Jane Adventures are okay, it's more aimed at kids afternoon TV than Doctor Who though but there are some crossovers as the Doctor sometimes makes an appearance, plus K9 is there too, he joins the team proper in later episodes.

I would say they are worth watching as some of the stories are great.

Back