Do Not Order Wiz From Consolesource.com

My wiz cable came through in a the same crappy condition as yours last week, it would shut my pc off when plugged in and not even charge the wiz. I tidyed mine up and wrapped some tape around the cables to ensure they weren’t shorting each other out, it works fine now but was annoying to have to hack a brand new cable to get it to work .;)

Very likely just the cable, if you make sure none of the wires are touching then it might just work!

Last edited by a moderator:
opened it up to take a peek and saw some loose silver wiring or something, go max zoom you can do to see it, put arrows on them, anyone have a working USB they can post a picture of, also is this USB specifically for the wiz or is there another cable out there that will fit it.
Those wires look a mess alright. Red and Green wires soldered together (is that normal?"]
Cant tell about the "fraying" looks like some of the USB wires have been cut back.
In fact i'am no wiring expert but can you even transfer data with only 3 connections?
This looks like a charger only... In face it would be worth checking if this is an offical wiz product and not a phone charger.

I've got a USB mains adpaptor for when I get mine but if the wiring is like this I won't be plugging it in!
What did you do to open it up?

Oh and clean your jeans you mucky pup :D[/quote]If you're not getting any on you then you're probably doing it wrong.

Just take the cable to a guy who fixes mobile phones and he should be able to solder it back, try getting some correct schematic from someone here to be sure they will solder it right and not get your Wiz fried.

Much easier: tell the retailer to send you a replacement cable.

Just take the cable to a guy who fixes mobile phones and he should be able to solder it back, try getting some correct schematic from someone here to be sure they will solder it right and not get your Wiz fried.

Much easier: tell the retailer to send you a replacement cable.
do they even have replacement cables seperatly without them having to open another box to get the usb cable out?

It is not your problem neither their, this is a manufacturing fault. But since you bought it from them they should help you solve it with minimum loss for you. I work for a company that sells electronic dictionaries and if something similar happens we either send the customer a cable from another box (if we had one that is opened) or ask the manufacturer to ship it to the customer directly (which usually costs the manufacturer a fortune in shipping because they are overseas but that is their problem). Talk to your retailer and be patient. I advice you remove the f**k part in your first post now, if they fixed it for you come back here and edit your first post with something like "the great support guys fixed it by sending me a new cable that arrived within 3 days" or if you are not that enthusiastic just add "issue solved by sending a replacement cable" and if the issue wasn't solved tell us so we all bring our big guns and go shot their A$$es with you :p

so do you guys think that it's my USB that's not functioning right and not my wiz?

I mean when I plug the USB into the wiz and computer it shows up on the wiz as it's connected, but like I said, nothing in windows
This may sound dumb but have you tried using the cable on any other computer or operating system?

I have the same problem under Windows but when I plug in the Wiz on my wife's MacBook everything works great.

Your cable looks okay from that picture but if there is a problem, it will be some short circuits. The cheapest/easiest thing to do will be to check the wiring yourself. I can tell you how it is connected in my adapter to compare.

There are three pins connected to the red wire. Two are next to each other on the bottom row. One is pulled across and down from the top row.

Two pins are connected to the black wire (actually braided wire with black shrink wrap). These are the remaining two pins on the bottom row.

The green and white wires are connected to one pin each on the remaining pins of the top row. The colors in your cable match the order in my cable.

I also suggest taking MiOdd's advice and trying someone else's computer if you can.

BTW - I got my Wiz from consolesource too. My R4i-Fake is going back to them today at my own expense. I'm not really thrilled with their customer support either. I love the one liner replies you get to a whole page of text explaining the problems. :rolleyes:

Just to be sure, download and burn a Linux Live-cd like Ubuntu and try to connect it then...
Try booting in safe mode and then go into device manager and look for any device related to the wiz. Sometimes a USB installation goes wrong and you don't see it in the list unless you boot in safe mode.

Chris

Tried it on XP Laptop, and two XP desktops as well as a Vista desktop. Consolesource just sent me an email

Okay, so you need a new USB Cable shipped out for the GP2X Wiz?

Ticket Details
===================
Ticket ID: GGF-485831
Department: RMA Department
Priority: Urgent

The Wiz cable is really terrible.

Mine actually short-circuited the USB power connections on my computer which lead to a complete OS crash and when I rebooted I was unable to connect ANY UBS device at all (which is really inconvenient when your keyboard and mouse are connected over USB).

I was afraid that a fuse had been blown and I would have to find it and replace it to get my computer functional again. Luckily most USB boards use a so-called resettable fuse, as I found out after some googling, so I just had to wait a few minutes and now USB works fine again.

Still, those were some scary minutes. Now I fixed the cable by separating the wires with tape, so this will never happen again.

This thread is absolutely crazy! Why should anyone have to open up a cable or tape wires away from each other to keep shorts from happening. Gamepark ABSOLUTELY needs to fix this. I was planning on getting a wiz if the software ended being worth it but I will wait until they have a better cable. Maybe the new batch will be better? It might also be a good idea to get one of them 120v to USB power adapters and just use sd cards and not the nand. You can also put stuff on the nand and use the built in file manager to move files to the nand (assuming there is a built in file manager).

Chris

You need this cable or something that has the same form factor/pinout and 5V/ground on the proper pins or you can't charge the Wiz. A wall plug USB charger will not do because Wiz does not have a USB port. Sure would have made life a lot easier if they did.

GPH doing a poor job at soldering is nothing new. GP2X's have had a long history of components falling off the board. A lot of people have had the headphone connector fall off and I've had the USB connector break, to the point where it couldn't be successfully soldered back on because it tore pads out with it. Strangely, the problem was that they weren't using enough solder, now apparently they're using too much (and not taking much care to keep them from shorting)...

Had a look at my solder. They're close but not touching. There's a lot of solder on the joins though, they over compensating for past mistakes?

I am seriously worried about this, are these cables all from consolesource.com, or are the naff ones from other sources too?
Well why would consolesource alone get a faulty shipment of USB cables? All the resellers receive the same stock from Gamepark... right?
I hope I don't have problems with my USB cable...

I am seriously worried about this, are these cables all from consolesource.com, or are the naff ones from other sources too?
Well why would consolesource alone get a faulty shipment of USB cables? All the resellers receive the same stock from Gamepark... right?
I hope I don't have problems with my USB cable...
Well I am wondering if they are supplying their own made cables, that is why I asked if people from other sources have the same standard cables. If I don't ask.........

Back