My New Wiz Already Broken?

Spykez

Just got my Wiz in the mail and so far it hasn't been very fun.

First off my kingston mircoSD card + adapter I bought with it won't read in anything. Wiz won't read it, built in card reader on my printer won't read it, my camera detected it but when I click format it says it's formatting then goes back to the "card needs to be formated" screen.

Now the Wiz isn't working right. Computer won't detect anything with the wiz being connected. I had another SD card for my camera that's already working but no matter what I do it says USB connected and i know it's working cause it's charging the battery but won't read.

Then when I go to the settings page and hit be on any of the options..it'll go to a loading screen, blank to a black screen for a second then return me to the main menu.

:angry:

First off my kingston mircoSD card + adapter I bought with it won't read in anything. Wiz won't read it, built in card reader on my printer won't read it, my camera detected it but when I click format it says it's formatting then goes back to the "card needs to be formated" screen.

Now the Wiz isn't working right. Computer won't detect anything with the wiz being connected. I had another SD card for my camera that's already working but no matter what I do it says USB connected and i know it's working cause it's charging the battery but won't read.

Then when I go to the settings page and hit be on any of the options..it'll go to a loading screen, blank to a black screen for a second then return me to the main menu.

What happens if you try to view the NAND memory, versus your SD card?

How is your SD card formatted?

On the settings page, you select options via the left control, not the right. (It's inconsistent.) This threw me for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:

On the settings page, you select options via the left control, not the right. (It's inconsistent."] This threw me for a while.[/quote]
SD Card is formatted as FAT and I know it works cause it works in my camera. The only thing I can't get to work is to show the damn thing on the computer through USB even though it registers as connected.

This fucking thing is putting a huge damper on my day, wait all week for a finicky device I just paid 180 bucks for that doesn't do what it's supposed to

you'd think the disk they took the time to make look pretty would at least contain a driver or something so windows would read it.

On the settings page, you select options via the left control, not the right. (It's inconsistent."] This threw me for a while.
SD Card is formatted as FAT and I know it works cause it works in my camera. The only thing I can't get to work is to show the damn thing on the computer through USB even though it registers as connected.

This fucking thing is putting a huge damper on my day, wait all week for a finicky device I just paid 180 bucks for that doesn't do what it's supposed to

you'd think the disk they took the time to make look pretty would at least contain a driver or something so windows would read it.[/quote]You didn't mention whether or not you can view it on your computer if you connect to NAND instead of SD.

And I believe the SD card needs to be formatted as FAT32, not FAT.

On the settings page, you select options via the left control, not the right. (It's inconsistent."] This threw me for a while.

you'd think the disk they took the time to make look pretty would at least contain a driver or something so windows would read it.
You didn't mention whether or not you can view it on your computer if you connect to NAND instead of SD.

And I believe the SD card needs to be formatted as FAT32, not FAT.[/quote]I've tried both nand and sd card with the same results

Any idea on the micro HCSD card? Just sent kingston an email

[edit] Tried formatting the card to FAT32 and windows still won't read it. When I click SD Card it opens the menu for "wiz games" so it's obviously working?
[edit 2] Something has to be wrong with the USB or something. Used my card reader from my printer to put the games onto the card and the wiz reads it fine.

Any ideas?

try a new sd card borrow a friends and see the results the wiz is plug and play idk bout vista works fine with my xp

try a new sd card borrow a friends and see the results the wiz is plug and play idk bout vista works fine with my xp
well if it was the card then it wouldn't read in the wiz period, ive got the emulators on it just fine now but the only good the USB is for is charging it but what happens when I need to update the firmware?

Also kingston wants to know if it supports 8GB cards

maybe my microSD is defective.

Anywho, any ideas on this USB issue? Am I supposed to do anything special when plugging it in? I have my SD card loaded, I plug wiz in, it asks me nand or SD, I choose sd and it just sits at the usb connected screen

Anywho, any ideas on this USB issue? Am I supposed to do anything special when plugging it in? I have my SD card loaded, I plug wiz in, it asks me nand or SD, I choose sd and it just sits at the usb connected screen
After you select SD it should show up as a drive in My Computer. If it doesn't something is very, very wrong.

After you select SD it should show up as a drive in My Computer. If it doesn't something is very, very wrong.
exsctly, it does nothing and I can't think of anything else to do to get it to work, so where should I go from here, I ordered my wiz from canada (im in the us) and shipping it back doesn't seem like it'd be worth it really.

Just a comment. Maybe you guys could click reply instead of quote all the time. All this scrolling isn't so much fun. Especially on a small device.

As for your problem, try another computer. That should tell you if there is something wrong with the usb.

/u9

You didn't mention whether or not you can view it on your computer if you connect to NAND instead of SD.

And I believe the SD card needs to be formatted as FAT32, not FAT.
I've tried both nand and sd card with the same results

Any idea on the micro HCSD card? Just sent kingston an email

[edit] Tried formatting the card to FAT32 and windows still won't read it. When I click SD Card it opens the menu for "wiz games" so it's obviously working?
[edit 2] Something has to be wrong with the USB or something. Used my card reader from my printer to put the games onto the card and the wiz reads it fine.

Any ideas?[/quote]

exsctly, it does nothing and I can't think of anything else to do to get it to work, so where should I go from here, I ordered my wiz from canada (im in the us"] and shipping it back doesn't seem like it'd be worth it really.
As for your problem, try another computer. That should tell you if there is something wrong with the usb.

Just a comment. Maybe you guys could click reply instead of quote all the time. All this scrolling isn't so much fun. Especially on a small device.

/u9[/quote]But that would be two clicks.

D.

I wouldn't focus so much on the SD card if his PC can't even see the Wiz's NAND memory, right?

Eliminate each potential source of the problem. Try a different USB cable. Try a different USB port. Try a different computer.

I've tried my computer, my laptop and my GF's computer. Hers has vista none of the 3 work. I don't have another USB cable nor am I going to PAY for another one just to test if a unit that should be working is defective. I guess the next step is get ahold of the site I bought it from and return it for another one.

This guy says two things I find interesting: he mentions it's a MicroSD card, which I find a bit odd to use in a device like the Wiz, since it uses full sized SD Cards, and is SD HC compatible. I use a Kingston 16Gb SD card in mine (Class 4). Sure, most MicroSD cards come with a little adaptor carrier that let them be used in machines like the Wiz that use full sized cards, but why add another layer of connections between you and the memory?

Second thing is that he is saying that neither device (SD or NAND) mounts on his computer. Does he perhaps have a bad usb cable, or a bad USB port?

One thing to check is that the device is actually charging from the computer. When you plug the Wiz in with the supplied USB cable, the light on the side of the Wiz (turned OFF) should be red (while charging) or blue (fully charged). While connected and turned ON, the light should be purple. If the light isn't on while plugged in and turned off, then either the cable is no good, or the USB port on the computer is not supplying power to the Wiz.

Sounds like a bad cable to me, since the SD card did mount in a reader OK.

. While connected and turned ON, the light should be purple. If the light isn't on while plugged in and turned off, then either the cable is no good, or the USB port on the computer is not supplying power to the Wiz.

Sounds like a bad cable to me, since the SD card did mount in a reader OK.
correction, the store I ordered from only sold microSD cards and it was 16 bucks for an 8GB kingston, that doesn't work. Im currently using some PNY 128MB I had in my camera that's full sized.

The wiz charges just fine on and off and read on the wiz as soon as I plug it in which is what struck me as odd. None of the usb ports are bad, as I said I tried 3 different computers all of which use the usb ports I tried using.

Would changing the firmware possibly fix it, also do you need the usb cable to update firmware or can it be done off the SD?

Would changing the firmware possibly fix it, also do you need the usb cable to update firmware or can it be done off the SD?
I've not heard of this kind of problem before, so I can't say that the firmware will fix it.

However, to answer your question, you do not need the USB cable to do the update - you can do it by copying the files to the SD card with a card reader, and following the instructions listed elsewhere on this forum for doing the update. Having said that, I'm not a huge fan of the 1.0.1 firmware update and hope that another update is soon forthcoming that will address some of the issues.

Back