Release Diablo

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
So it's the same story as before.

After finishing StarCraft I've been briefly looking what else could be recompiled without spending the whole eternity, but couldn't find anything that both I would care for and that wasn't huge. But what I've noted is that Diablo shares several .dll files with StarCraft so quite a lot could be reused and there is less code overall (it turns out Blizzard developed Diablo and StarCraft at the same time, so naturally reused things). I've put it on hold back then, but finished the recompilation work today.

Unfortunately it's unstable and crashes in some non-obvious way. I don't know if this is worth finishing, as the game is not too demanding and seems to be almost ok under qemu, I guess under wine+Exagear it might be just fine. Posting this here for more (de)motivation.
Update: the crashes have now been fixed, so it's on the repo now:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=package.diablo1

shareware version has been converted too:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=package.diablo1s

Instructions:
1. Install the game on PC.
2. Still on PC, apply the official 1.0.9 patch (drtl109.exe).
3. Copy Patch_rt.mpq from the game's folder on PC to pandora/appdata/diablo folder of SD card.
4. Copy diabdat.mpq from the Diablo CD to pandora/appdata/diablo folder of SD card.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/hl8ThFIqJ5w?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all: Awesome! In any way. Even unfinished. :D

Secondly: (How) Can we help you finishing this? Giving more motivation? Giving some memory dumps or backtraces?

If you are in Dresden sometime, send me a PM and I will buy you a drink (at least). ;)

Well it would be good to know if somebody would actually play this.

Some things can already be tested, like how useful is the touchscreen. The game doesn't seem to like jumping cursor which you get with a touchscreen, so it seems it's hard to target NPCs, or maybe it's just my impression?

Wow!  On a trip now and haven't tried it yet but wow for another awesome effort.  Will donate a little to perhaps (de)motivate you to finish this when get home :)

*Seeks cover before asking such an impolite questions* Does Diablo 2 maybe share a lot of dlls with Diablo? Thank you for porting Diablo I, I played it on the Pandora with your great PSX emulator. The controlls worked fine because they are optimized for a gamepad.

Well it would be good to know if somebody would actually play this.

Some things can already tested, like how useful is the touchscreen. The game doesn't seem to like jumping cursor which you get with a touchscreen, so it seems it's hard to target NPCs, or maybe it's just my impression?
I have always wanted to try the diablo games. I would certainly try it out!

I would make a video, but I'm afraid I would get accused of making the port again...

awesome! that's great... I really need to pack my mouse with my pandora... there's so much gems needing mouse I don't play...

Cool stuff.

crashes when you leave town
That explains it.  I was in the passenger seat in the car and was wondering what happened. :p

Seriously though, thanks.  I will have to look through my CDs and see if I still have it floating around.

Pumped as hell about this, love having dedicated ways to launch games on the Pandora. Great work, notaz!

lots of all memories... I remember filling rooms with firewall.... and having to wait pretty long until they extinguished....

Thanks Notaz what a nice surprise :)

Hope it will be full playable in the future...and someone made a video about it.

Oh yeah, definitely installing this. Loved Diablo (not so much Diablo II and Diablo III is just awful)

Please keep working on this :)

D.

Wow i am glad that you released this.

Had made in the Past some Videos with Qemu but its for most Users very complicated to get it run with the Win95 Way.

Your PND make everything more easy and against the PSX Version can we save the collected Unique Items with this PC Version ;)

Unique Items on the PSX Version was ever a Problem in the Past because they dissapeared when you Save the Game on PSX.

I search in the Moment my Diablo1 CDRom here but not found it yet :rolleyes:

Thhhx ;)

Was wondering whether it was Pandora related when I saw you pushing wine patches again. Thank you very much!

*Seeks cover before asking such an impolite questions* Does Diablo 2 maybe share a lot of dlls with Diablo? Thank you for porting Diablo I, I played it on the Pandora with your great PSX emulator. The controlls worked fine because they are optimized for a gamepad.
Only 2, one of which is incompatible (different version) so it would have to be redone from scratch, and there are like 10 additional ones...

I would make a video, but I'm afraid I would get accused of making the port again...
It would also likely crash before anything interesting happens and there are some really nasty menu glitches (that were not there during debug but only showed up after PND was packaged, *sigh*).

Another nice little example of cool tech! I love it, would like to see it finished, but more for the cool factor than because there are no other ways currently to play Diablo 1.

I wonder if there is potential for the HD Mod to work in future... http://mod.diablo1.eu.org/ video: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=37&v=m4PfLbMJCoA

Back