Release Diablo

I wonder if there is potential for the HD Mod to work in future... http://mod.diablo1.eu.org/ video:
This looks like a closed source complete engine rewrite with OpenAL, SDL2 and OpenGL dependencies. It might be more productive to ask the authors for the source, but quick google shows that the authors don't want to share it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, impressive what's still possible onto the Pandora. Diablo 1 seems to be a tough one, I tested the Playstation version on my CC Pandora and it's pretty slow, even with OC. Which is pretty weird for an 2D PSX game where 3D PSX games mostly run fine on my Pandora.  :blink:   Or maybe the PSX version is just that slow. ^^"

I wonder if there is potential for the HD Mod to work in future... http://mod.diablo1.eu.org/ video:
This looks like a closed source complete engine rewrite with OpenAL, SDL2 and OpenGL dependencies. It might be more productive to ask the authors for the source, but quick google shows that the authors don't want to share it.
Perhaps if someone mentioned the Pandora on their forums, and explained what they want to do, they might be willing to share it with the promise that it not be posted publicly.

I knew my cd case with my old halflife, diablo, Sin, Shogo, UT, Baldur's gate, thiefs, KoMag's disks and other interesting game was a good idea...

Warning - not yet fully playable (crashes when you leave town, press space or return key to close the (sometimes) invisible crash dialog).

So it's the same story as before.

After finishing StarCraft I've been briefly looking what else could be recompiled without spending the whole eternity, but couldn't find anything that both I would care for and that wasn't huge. But what I've noted is that Diablo shares several .dll files with StarCraft so quite a lot could be reused and there is less code overall (it turns out Blizzard developed Diablo and StarCraft at the same time, so naturally reused things). I've put it on hold back then, but finished the recompilation work today.

Unfortunately it's unstable and crashes in some non-obvious way. I don't know if this is worth finishing, as the game is not too demanding and seems to be almost ok under qemu, I guess under wine+Exagear it might be just fine. Posting this here for more (de)motivation.

http://notaz.gp2x.de/releases/diablo/diablo_r0.pnd

(not on the repo because it's not playable)
Wow, even if it isn't playable this is some nice project, I'm still playing Diablo every one or two years and will play the HD mod soon.

Wow that HD Mod look nice :D

Yes, I've been following Beelzebub for a long time and have mentioned it several times in the forums and chat, unfortunately it doesn't support the Hellfire expansion which is a damn shame because I really like the additional dungeons.

Just tried.

Got the intro video and the menu is also working nicely (and the sound too). And I started a game. I walked a bit in the village and it page fault (wine error: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000010 at address 0x410897ac (thread 0009)). The screen stay in 640x480 after that, left aligned. I tried to "ofbset -fb /dev/fb1 -pos 0 0 -size 0 0 -mem 0 -en 0" but with no success, I still miss the right part of the screen.

Finally 5 days after release somebody actually started the thing (no other but the most active dev), kind of shows how much this release is needed...

And yeah I'll need to fix the crash recovery in the next release, if there is ever one.

Finally 5 days after release somebody actually started the thing (no other but the most active dev), kind of shows how much this release is needed...

And yeah I'll need to fix the crash recovery in the next release, if there is ever one.
Yeah, I understand that feeling!

It is so nice to hear that Diablo Village song on the Pandora. You have to continue working on that :)

That crash partly recovering is anoying, I had to restart my Pandora to restore the screen. The ofbset command in the run.sh is not enough.

My crash was inside the Village (I was heading to the entrence of the church, just after chatting with the Smith guy). But you mentionned that it was ok for you until leaving the village?

Sorry, testing half-life atm... blame ptitSeb for that! :D

Sorry, the last Blizzard game I enjoyed is Blackthrone. All the games they've released after have an incredible ability to bore me after the first few hours.

That crash partly recovering is anoying, I had to restart my Pandora to restore the screen. The ofbset command in the run.sh is not enough.
I had a similar issue when I was testing Drastic, and found a combination of two commands that would reset the screen successfully, so I put them together in an alias and added it to my profile.

Code:
alias fbr='ofbset -fb /dev/fb1 -pos 0 0 -size 0 0 -mem 0 -en 0; ofbset -fb /dev/fb0 -pos 0 0; fbset -fb /dev/fb0 -g 800 480 800 1440 16'
- Neelix

Sorry, Notaz. I would have been happy to test if my Pandora wasn't with ED for repairs...

Notaz? it wasn't clear from the start, is that a technical demo for us to see or are you waiting for testing and feedback? time is pretty short here to play with anything but I'd be more than happy to test this if you're wanting some feedbacks...

Back