Dev Fund Update: Who's Next?

Tinnus so far didn't do any too much big stuff. He changed a few problems and small bugs in LJP, and he added Skeezix' guineapig modules.

jouni has done a lot of work mainly unseen to the final gamesplayer, however many things are probably made so much easier due to his efforts.

He has my vote then.

x68000 posted on Oct 5 2005 at 07:45 AM said:
The Italian Stallion, LDChen gets my vote as he has already said he would love to port his FPSE emulator over to the gp2x. He is a very talented coder who has undertook a huge task with this and has pulled off fantastic results, beyound peoples expectations - a little like reesy and with what he did to DrMD.

@Prophet - PM me if you need any contact details for him

Nah, who cares about a lame PSX emu. It is an OK tech demo but playing games at 2 FPS with no sound that take up half of your card is hardly going to get my vote ;) We need someone who will do something like SNES, GBA (if doable), PC-engine, Neo Geo, you know something playable at full speed with sound.

I don't understand why so many get excited over something unplayable and inpractical like PSX, it doesn't make much sense to me. Someone mentions an unplayable PSX emu and 2 hours later the thread is up to 30 pages full of dreamers. I don't get it, forget PSX already ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jarska333 posted on Oct 5 2005 at 02:13 PM said:
No, and you have no right to ask us to forget it. And it may be playable. We shall see.

If you consider "playable" to be 5 FPS with no sound at FS6 I guess. Seems pretty worthless to me especially since the games take up so much space. Again I don't see what the big draw is with it.

well, just look at the ammount of people who are happy with the snes emulation on the gp32. that's very slow and very choppy even on high overclocked systems.
i say again. who really cares about the snes ;P there's much better stuff out there. the gpx2 should run the original games that all the good snes games were ported off.

the most important things to me are 16 bit based, but i think if we just forgot about what could be achieved by porting fpse over to the gp2x, that would be a great shame. Of course it won't run at anything near full speed, but it does get very close on my pocket pc and it has a crap load of overheads dragging it back.

It will no doubt be ported and ldchen is the man to do the job as he has already expressed interest in it. I'm sure noone would begrudge him the chance to attempt a port of it.

x68000 posted on Oct 5 2005 at 02:40 PM said:
the most important things to me are 16 bit based, but i think if we just forgot about what could be achieved by porting fpse over to the gp2x, that would be a great shame. Of course it won't run at anything near full speed, but it does get very close on my pocket pc and it has a crap load of overheads dragging it back.

It will no doubt be ported and ldchen is the man to do the job as he has already expressed interest in it. I'm sure noone would begrudge him the chance to attempt a port of it.

Well he can do what he wants. But the point is that I think that our donations would be better placed with someone who will be producing something that IS more playable and practical. The Gp32 community will run out of donators eventually so I think we should choose carefully. I don't think it wise to "waste" our donations for something as useless as a slow, choppy, silent, poorly compatible PSX tech demo when there are so many other things that need attention. That is my opinion.

fair enough, but with so many existing game park devvers already sorted for systems, the options are a little limited.

By first choice would be flubba, but has not sounded too committed to the GP cause with all his Big N coding recently, and even mr spiv is shying away from GP.

Maybe we should be hounding the likes of flubba, who is without doubt an oustanding devver to get onboard and we will reward him with a system for his troubles.

x68000 posted on Oct 5 2005 at 04:35 PM said:
fair enough, but with so many existing game park devvers already sorted for systems, the options are a little limited.

By first choice would be flubba, but has not sounded too committed to the GP cause with all his Big N coding recently, and even mr spiv is shying away from GP.

Maybe we should be hounding the likes of flubba, who is without doubt an oustanding devver to get onboard and we will reward him with a system for his troubles.

Yeah flubba would make full speed emus of alot of cool stuff.

Now if only we could trick him into thinking that the GP2X is made by Nintendo then we would have it made. Anyone know of a good hypnotist :p

Mr. Spiv gets my vote. Or what about the other Mr. in our ranks, Mirko? Perhaps we can tempt him back from PSP land with a free GP2x as bait :p

Julius posted on Oct 5 2005 at 08:35 PM said:
Naa, Mr.Mirko already said he isn't really interested in the GP2X.
i think he is already getting one, but we have to get on flubbas back as he will port his brilliant pc engine emu for starters and that comes complete with cdrom2, super cd and arcade cd compatibility.

Just imagine playing dracula x and gradius 2 gofer on the gp2x with cd quality soundtracks

OK, here are the two basic rules to qualify as a GP2X donation candidate:

1) Must have publically dev'd for a handheld before. Preferably GP32, but other ARM based handhelds like Zodiac and GBA are acceptable backgrounds as well. We will need a list of your work to convince people to vote for you.

2) Must express real interest in dev'ing for GP2X. The donation is both a recognition of your past work, and also a hope future work. A description of what you might like to do on GP2X would probably help your chances of being voted for.

This leave new devs like Digital Awakening out, but it's only fair. Like any scene, you have to establish credentials before you gain support for donations. Remember, Skeezix did loads and loads of free projects before he got some goodies in return.

If anyone has a dev in mind, contact him/her and send them to this thread. Or have them email me ( prophet <_AT-> ZodiacGamer.com )or PM me, either here or at Emuholic/Emuboards/ZodiacGamer.

Once we have a minimum of 3 good candidates, we can hold a vote.

So far we have:

1) Vilmos

Now, is FluBBa interested? Chui? Spiv? Any others? Let's find out...

Prophet posted on Oct 5 2005 at 11:55 PM said:
Now, is FluBBa interested? Chui? Spiv? Any others? Let's find out...

Chui is one of the 5 spanish programmers + rlyeh who are going to receive the development kit from GPH so you can delete him from your list.

junker posted on Oct 6 2005 at 04:33 AM said:
hey deadlychicken, youre from minnesota? im in mpls :D
cool. From what i've seen, there's actually a couple of people on these boards that live in our area (can't remember exactly who....). Would be neat to have a retrogame/gp32/gp2x meetup in the northwest sometime!

Back