Gp2x Dev Donation Fund

Prophet

God I'm old.
Website
Visit site
Please see Emuholic's GP2X news page for details on the GP2X Dev Donation Fund I'm organizing.

The idea is simple, to collect money as a community to buy GP2X's for some great developers. Think of it as a way to say thank you for both past and future work.

The first candidate is Skeezix! :)

-snip-

---

Pledge Status

Prophet: $10
declaration: $10
julius: 10€ = approx $12.27
jarska333: 10€ = approx $12.27
barnesy: 10 GBP = approx $18.23
DaveC: $20
Huxley: $10
Iorgy77: $20
elinscheid (via emuholic): $20
Squidge: $10
Reesy: 9.41GBP = approx. $17.16
A600: $10.07

Hanz: will pay balance when we reach $170

CURRENT PLEDGE TOTAL: $170

GOAL REACHED!

No more pledges are needed now. Watch for future GP2X Dev Fund drives if you'd like to help, or just consider donating to any devs who take donations, and whose work you use and enjoy.

Thanks to all the pledgers. I'll be contacting David at GP32Z next to work out what the exact cost will be (GP2X - dev discount + shipping + paypal fees). Once done, I'll post all the info (in a new thread I think, this one has gotten a bit big and convoluted now) and Hanz will know the amount needed for him to send. I doubt it will be very much. Then everyone can paypal their pledge over, and as each is received I'll post a running total until it's finished. Once the total is all received, it goes to GP32X and Skeezix gets his GPX2 when they become available in Oct/Nov. Simple as that. :)

It's a pleasure to know the GP32/GP2X community can come together this way to do nice things for the people who make this scene happen. Special thanks to the devs who pledged - it was unexpected, and certainly shows how truly generous you guys are.

Some devs will be receiving free units via various other channels, and as plans solidify we can see if any devs remaining would like to be considered as a candidate for a similar donation drive. The next time around, some sort of voting will be used to determine the recipient.

This ia a good idea in practice but it can be unfair. Why? Well what about other devs? How about Reesy?, Franxis?, Foft?, Tuskenraider? They would feel left out if we just sent to only one, and who would decide?

Maybe we should ask which devs are even interested in coding for it. If they won't have time to do it or will stick with something else they would not be on a list. Like for example Flubba who only likes developing for Nintendo systems would not be chosen. Then maybe we could donate and then distribute the donations to the store of their choice (like GP32Z or GBAX) in the names of all interested coders so they would then all get free ones or at least a big discount depending on the amount.

DaveC posted on Sep 13 2005 at 03:11 PM said:
This ia a good idea in practice but it can be unfair. Why? Well what about other devs? How about Reesy?, Franxis?, Foft?, Tuskenraider? They would feel left out if we just sent to only one, and who would decide?

Maybe we should ask which devs are even interested in coding for it. If they won't have time to do it or will stick with something else they would not be on a list. Like for example Flubba who only likes developing for Nintendo systems would not be chosen. Then maybe we could donate and then distribute the donations to the store of their choice (like GP32Z or GBAX) in the names of all interested coders so they would then all get free ones or at least a big discount depending on the amount.

It has to start someplace.

IIRC Reesy is already getting a free unit via GBAX. I don't know about the others. But they can all be future candidates if they want. The next candidate would be determined by votes. Skeezix is the Guinea Pig (pun intended, for those who get the reference).

Last edited by a moderator:
Jarska333 posted on Sep 13 2005 at 03:36 PM said:
A carrot for the asses...?

(ewww...)

What about stick? :ph34r:

What? :unsure:

surely and I'm not an expert, wouldn't it be better to have a targets page that you could add money to
and a list with some conditions, I'm no expert but I could probably write this.

a) Full speed snes/ with bzip;7z support / savestates / cheats
B) Full speed amiga
c) Full speed GBA same as a.

Although really a think an even better one would be to attract new devs by buying them a GP2X, and not worry if they dev or not.

I think tux and haze should get one each for working on raine cos I love it anyway. and yak of llamatron for giving me sooo much joy. David from wesnoth for doing something big. icculus for his glorious ports.

Anyhow those are two alternatives

Surely it would have been better to have that thread on a site which still has an actual GP32 community. eg- This one.

Also a vote for the devs is a good idea, but I don't think anyone will have any objections to Skeezix as a guinea pig.

I pledge $10.

This fund is about making sure some of the best devs have a GPX2 ASAP. It's also about thanking them for past work as well.

If there aren't enough people around generous enough to commit to this, then what can I say.

But Skeezix has proven himself many times over on many handhelds that he can do do great work, and is eager to do more. He also donated $250 to help with the hurricane Katrina aftermath in New Orleans. It would be very nice if people could manage $5 or $10 to get him a GPX2.

If people want to have one of those "rewards" type funds later on, go for it. But first we need as many talented devs with GPX2's ASAP.

x68000 posted on Sep 13 2005 at 04:43 PM said:
what would skeezix have in the pipeline if he was to code for the gp2x?
I imagine nothing guaranteed, but Castaway would be likely.

Many other things could be possible- Amiga emu possibly, Quake, Genesis, PC engine etc.
Just look at what he has done for Palm. http://www.codejedi.com/shadowplan/

Read the thread I linked to - it has some info from Skeezix on that.

Here's a little something Skeezix told recently me when I asked him about the GP2X:

"*g* I've no money to put down right now I kicked in $250 for the relief fund down in Lousiana, so I'm tapped out for awhile

I'm working on Hatari right now for PSP under the CaSTaway name (both CaSTaway and Hatari under one interface), and I'm figuring its perfect for the gp2x. Further, perhaps one of us needs to port klimt to get a OpenGL environment running on the second chip in the gp2x, and get some 3d hacking going

Lots to do
"

---

Declaration - the fund is being operated thru Emuholic. A site that's been around for 7 years, and has always been at the heart of handheld gaming. It's also for me to keep track of things there. If you cannot click a link to visit another site, then it's your loss. But your pledge is appreciated nevertheless.

Prophet posted on Sep 13 2005 at 04:51 PM said:

Declaration - the fund is being operated thru Emuholic. A site that's been around for 7 years, and has always been at the heart of handheld gaming. It's also for me to keep track of things there. If you cannot click a link to visit another site, then it's your loss. But your pledge is appreciated nevertheless.
I know all about emuholic, and gp32emu.com as it once was.

But I think its ridiculous to run a fund like this which depends on reaching as many people as possible on a site which has no community.

It also looks like a cheap ploy to try and start up some interest at the GP2X boards on emuholic on the back of helping out developers.

Also emuholic has not really been at the heart or really interested in GP32 gaming for the past two years or since the Zodiac was released.

Surely a similar thread here is possible so that users here don't have to register at a whole new forum just to post a pledge.

A cheap ploy? I'm on staff at Emuholic, so yes that's the site where I want to run it from. It's not a site that needs to excuse itself for existing. I'm proud to be associated with Guyfawkes and Emuholic, and that's where I choose to run my projects from. I don't personally gain anything from more visitors or posters at Emuholic, but I have a sense of loyalty to the place.

Surely a similar thread here is possible so that users here don't have to register at a whole new forum just to post a pledge.

Fine, people can post pledges in this thread and I'll include them.

Prophet posted on Sep 13 2005 at 05:04 PM said:

Fine, people can post pledges in this thread and I'll include them.
Thanks. I didnt mean to be pinickity. I just think it makes more sense that way.

I am also very much for this project in general. Skeezix is a legend and I have enjoyed much of his work for the GP32 and Zodiac and would like to see him get a GP2X.
So come on people, pledge that money.

Prophet posted on Sep 13 2005 at 03:42 PM said:
It has to start someplace.

IIRC Reesy is already getting a free unit via GBAX. I don't know about the others. But they can all be future candidates if they want. The next candidate would be determined by votes. Skeezix is the Guinea Pig (pun intended, for those who get the reference).

Yeah I know. It should be thought out completely though. The result we desire is to get devs interested so there will be stuff on the GP2X. We also don't want to piss off any other devs either. For example (hypothetical of course) if Tuskenraider sees Skeezix getting a free GP2X he may just think " well I guess no one cares for the work I did on my Lynx emu much. Fuck it, I won't bother then" We don't want other devs who did great work to be left out or get slighted.

Yes we can vote for the next one but after the 5th dev I fear that many of us will be "tapped out" by then and the donations will fall off dramatically.

I remember Skeezix complaining about the poor screen of the FLU. I had a spare BLU around so I sold it to him at my cost. I figured that if he liked it better he would be more likely to update Castaway more. Plus I really didn't need the extra so I figured it would be win-win. Well after he got his BLU he actually updated Castaway LESS and eventually went to PSP, so much for that.

Then we need to make sure the dev will even want to do anything. Look at Flubba, he won a free BLU in a compo. He basically turned his nose up, threw it into a drawer and continued on doing GBA and DS stuff. Does Skeezix even want to do GP2X stuff or is he happy to stay with the more powerful PSP? Who will like it and be most likely to do something?

I am not against this, I am for it and will donate something if it will produce results. I just want to make sure it is handled with the most fairness as possible and that it will produce some results. That is why I had the blanket donation that would give discounts to all interested devs. If devs could all buy a GP2X for $100.00 that would make it very enticing plus make it fair for all. I guess the first step would be to mail all possible devs to who is interested. We could ask: would you get a GP2X and develop for it if a) it was free B) was available for a discount. c) I would get one to play but not dev. Something like that.

I've emailed with Skeezix and yes he does want to do GP2X stuff. Read the quote I posted above from him. Skeezix isn't the sort who turns his back on things, I think we all know that by now.

But yes, I agree any future donation funds (should there be any) would have to be very carefully picked. Devs would have to express clear and sincere interest in Gp2X, not just passing curiosity.

DaveC
Skeezix has stated his interest in the GP2X and has said he will probably get one. His only problem is to justify the expenditure. This is where we help and nullify the expenditure, thus removing the need for justification and we hopefully recieve Castaway and other things in return.

If he doesnt make anything for the GP2X, its only a small donation wasted and it's still a thankyou for all the work Jeff did on the GP32.

I also doubt whether developers will be jealous of each other. More likely they will see that this community values it devs and will make them interested in joining such a community.

For this reason, I think only devs who have developed already for the GP32 should be included and this houldnt be some scheme to attract coders from other scenes. I imagine Rlyeh and Yoyo will be hot favourites in the coming months.

The only reservation I have is that this sort of thing tends to favour emu writers as oppose to homebrew game devrs as these tend to be very popular apps. But homebrew games are very important to the scene in the long run (when possible emus dry up). So maybe one in three or something GP2Xs donated should go to homebrew game makers.

Regarding "jealousy"...

Here's an excerpt from an email I just received from a very famous GP32 & GBA dev:

"Great idea about getting Skeezix a GP2X, we need super smooth Castaway ;)"

Declaration - I agree about homebrew. And if you look over all of Skeezix's work, he does a lot besides emus. He's ported a lot of things, and also wrote Zot for example. Also, Skeezix's personality has also been a boon for any platform - he's very positive and uplifting. A good guy to have around in any scene for many reasons.

This is just a starting point, that's all.

Some devs will also be receiving G2X's from other channels, but I don't have all the details just yet on that. My main concern is to have all the major bases covered from the starting gate. I realize some lesser known devs may feel left out, but even if they buy their own GPX2, there will always be donations and contests. Obviously we can't buy GP2X's for every dev. Just want to give the GPX2 a big headstart by getting as many "big guns" onboard ASAP.

Back