Gp2x Dev Donation Fund

Btw, for those how are still thinking about it,
I see it from this point of view:
It is a donation for the GP32 CaSTaway (which I wanted to donate for anyways for some time now) with the added benefit of making sure that he also supports the GP2x :p

So from this point of view, there is no 'unfairness' to other devs, nor any other questionable things.

Prophet posted on Sep 14 2005 at 09:19 PM said:
Jeff at

Same as GP32 - 3.5" 320x240. But it's backlit and believed to be brighter with better contrast than the BLU.

---

ALMOST THERE NOW!!! =)

Only need $10.07 more. Not bad for 2 days.

Where did you hear that it had better contrast? I thought that the screen was the same as the BLU+. The BLU+ had *slightly* better contrast than the BLU but nothing to talk about. I have one of each and compared them and there is not a whole lot of difference. You need to see side by side to really notice anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
skeezix posted on Sep 14 2005 at 08:27 PM said:
*g* Mebbe; I'm thinking of hooking up the UAE 68k core to compare and see about comparing runtimes between musashi, castaway, UAE and fdave+reesymod+etc's cores to see whose more accurate; I'd bet UAE's is most accurate, and is by far the slowest I think :)

However, I'm amid bigger things; I ported STonX to GP32 ages ago, but the GP32 didn't have the RAM (the gp2x does.) Hatari I've sort of got working on the GP32, but its slower than castaway; but I expect to make an option to select which engine to run, in the gp2x.. So CaSTaway will run multiple engines under the hood. Why not?

The harder part is how best ot use the alt cpu; from the onset, at least it'd be free audio and maybe faster rendering (like, free frameskip sort of.) which should help a touch, though maybe add 'tearing'.

Whats the exact screen size on gp2x again?

jeff

Hopefully if cyclone can be used you will only need one engine as it will be so fast. I think Reesy and the other dude have fixed all of the bugs but not sure (Reesy are there anymore cyclone bugs?). If so that would make things simpler as you would need only one engine.

Given we have easily enough RAM now, I imagine it wouldn't be too bad to have a choice of cores.

Obviously it's a bit simpler to have a single core, but it might be useful to have a core that certainly has no bugs.

Prophet posted on Sep 14 2005 at 11:19 PM said:

I'll donate those $10.07 :)

I believe most of the bugs are out of cyclone, the only problem now is un-implemented opcodes. I'm pretty sure the ST programmers being the geeky gits they are used every single opcode available to them so you may find Castaway has more problems using Cyclone. There is however a Invalid Opcode callback in Cyclone so at least you can tell when an invalid opcode has been reached.

I've now merged my changes to cyclone with Notaz's, I ran Notaz's core through my debugger and found that there were still alot of flag emulation problems that I had fixed in my core. I'm not saying that these are correct but they are the same as Musashi which was my aim.

I'll stick a link to the source code in a cyclone related thread.

A600 posted on Sep 15 2005 at 12:36 AM said:
Prophet posted on Sep 14 2005 at 11:19 PM said:

I'll donate those $10.07 :)

Good on you A600! :)

Goal reached. See the first post for further details. Thanks everyone.

Wow, thanks everyone :)

I will endeaver to abuse all 64MB of RAM with secret GTA-style hot loving as soon as I can ;)

jeff

Really pleased for Skeezix.

Not read throught he whole thread, but can we give cash for another devver now? like the obvious Reesy...?

Reesy posted on Sep 15 2005 at 07:19 AM said:
I believe most of the bugs are out of cyclone, the only problem now is un-implemented opcodes. I'm pretty sure the ST programmers being the geeky gits they are used every single opcode available to them so you may find Castaway has more problems using Cyclone. There is however a Invalid Opcode callback in Cyclone so at least you can tell when an invalid opcode has been reached.

I've now merged my changes to cyclone with Notaz's, I ran Notaz's core through my debugger and found that there were still alot of flag emulation problems that I had fixed in my core. I'm not saying that these are correct but they are the same as Musashi which was my aim.

I'll stick a link to the source code in a cyclone related thread.

Ok. May be a dumb question but couldn't these opcodes be added? Just wondering.

lubidog, read the first post in this thread, at the end it talks about what you're asking.

But basically some devs are already receiving free GP2X's thru various channels. Once all this becomes clearer, we may start a future pledge drive for another dev. This was sort of a test, and so far it's gone nicely.

DaveC posted on Sep 14 2005 at 11:53 PM said:
Jeff at

Same as GP32 - 3.5" 320x240. But it's backlit and believed to be brighter with better contrast than the BLU.

---

ALMOST THERE NOW!!! =)

Where did you hear that it had better contrast? I thought that the screen was the same as the BLU+. The BLU+ had *slightly* better contrast than the BLU but nothing to talk about. I have one of each and compared them and there is not a whole lot of difference. You need to see side by side to really notice anything.

Like I said, better contrast than the BLU. I didn't say BLU+. ;)

Anything better than the BLU is good to me, it's definitely not the brightest backlit screen I ever saw. I never saw a BLU+. How would you quantify the difference? 10% brighter? Less, more?

Prophet posted on Sep 15 2005 at 02:03 PM said:
DaveC posted on Sep 14 2005 at 11:53 PM said:
Jeff at

---

ALMOST THERE NOW!!! =)

Like I said, better contrast than the BLU. I didn't say BLU+. ;)

Anything better than the BLU is good to me, it's definitely not the brightest backlit screen I ever saw. I never saw a BLU+. How would you quantify the difference? 10% brighter? Less, more?

Maybe like up to 5% better. If you didn't have them side by side you couldn't tell. The colors are *slightly* more saturated. The brightness is the same for both. It is nothing like a PSP unfortunately.

There is one thing about the BLU+ screen that isn't as good and that is if you look at medium brightness solid colors you will see diagonal noise lines running through them. It is not the flicker that is seen in some stuff. It kind of looks like faint interference patterns like you may get through a system connected to a TV. Most won't notice it though, you have to be finicky to see it. This is obvious as you never heard anyone with a BLU+ complain about it. I hope the GP2X won't have this but because they use the same screen it probably will, but only I will notice.

Argh, I basically started it and now I'm too late because my graphics card blew up. How embarrassing... :ph34r: Well, if any more money is needed, I'd give anything to get Skeezix a GP2X! (well, almost anything... ;) )

btw, this community is awesome, too. :)

Don't forget that as the MMSP2 chip is meant as a multimedia chip, amongst other things, it fully supports varying the amount of brightness, contrast, etc. I don't know if this will be supported in the SDK or whatever. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Squidge posted on Sep 15 2005 at 06:54 PM said:
Don't forget that as the MMSP2 chip is meant as a multimedia chip, amongst other things, it fully supports varying the amount of brightness, contrast, etc. I don't know if this will be supported in the SDK or whatever. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Whell that is just for gamma correction etc. The LCD will have its own limitations with regards to brightness and contrast that can't be changed.

Squidge posted on Sep 15 2005 at 02:54 PM said:

Brightness? I wonder if it has per-pixel brightness.. that'd be something. I always wanted make a vector emu (ie, I did _the hell out of_ a cinematronics emulator years ago, and theres Vectrex of course..) that had correct brightness.. ie: Brighter shots in asteroids, and bright pixels where vectors overlap, etc :)

jeff

I've no idea Jeff, but I doubt it. I think it was in some kind of documentation for WindowsCE, so it could even be in the WinCE driver, and have nothing to do with the chip itself.

Back