Release Daphne WIP

Last edited by a moderator:
How big were the files before and after re-encoding?

For me... around 900MB before and 400MB after.
Yes but what do you do with the ogg files

Nothing :)

Edit: well, you can reencode them too, but no need to.

Sorry that I can't help you with a gui program here, but I didn't find one myself. Maybe others have an idea.
Just a thought could this be a framefile issue as the mpeg has changed

Just a thought could this be a framefile issue as the mpeg has changed

After you re-encode, you should probably delete the .dat file in the directory that is created by Daphne and let the emulator re-create it. Unless you do something radical (like deleting frames or something), the framefile itself wouldn't change at all.

Anyone know what i am doing wrong..?? nothing is loading for me (tried Dragon's Lair & Space Ace so far) and it just goes back to the desktop

daphne_log.txt:

--Command line is: ./daphne.bin Dragon's vldp -framefile /mnt/utmp/daphne/framefile/lair_dvdrom.txt -fullscreen -homedir . -useoverlaysb 1

--CPU : UnknownCPU 0 MHz || Mem : 0 megs

--OpenGL: Not Compiled In

--RGB2YUV Function: C

--Line Blending Function: C

--Audio Mixing Function: C

Setting alternate home dir:

ERROR: Unknown game type specified : Dragon's

Bad command line or initialization problem (see daphne_log.txt for details).

To run DAPHNE, you must specify which game to run and which laserdisc player you are using.

For example, try 'daphne lair noldp' to run Dragon's Lair in testing mode.

Any ideas..?

Thanks.

Code:

wrong name, i guess, maybe the ' is producing the error
All roms txt and mpegs should be renamed ie dragon's lair should be lair Astron Belt should be abelt, as mcobit said earlier in the post this emulator doesnt like symbols and spaces so avoid these.

Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum but i was around for more than a year waiting to my pandora to arrive (update to premium and hope it will arrive this week - got email shipping notification)

I saw this port of Daphne and i wanna thanks mcobit for his work

I did use DaphneX (on Xbox) and i was pretty difficult to get it work properly.

So here a file where i put every framefile i have for 15 laserdisc games.

Astron Belt

badlands

Bega's Battle

Cliff Hanger

Cobra Command

Dragon's Lair

Dragon's Lair II - Timewarp

Esh's Aurunmilla

Galaxy Ranger

Interstellar

M.A.C.H.3

Space Ace

Super Don Quix-ote

Thayer's Quest

Us Vs. Them

Hope it will be useful to some of you.

superdon.txt

Attachments

• astron.txt
    35 bytes · Views: 1,010
  • badlands.txt
    38 bytes · Views: 679
  • Bega.txt
    33 bytes · Views: 560
  • cliff.txt
    41 bytes · Views: 479
  • cobra.txt
    66 bytes · Views: 586
  • lair.txt
    27 bytes · Views: 219
  • lair2.txt
    33 bytes · Views: 941
  • esh.txt
    24 bytes · Views: 721
  • galaxy.txt
    33 bytes · Views: 148
  • inter.txt
    37 bytes · Views: 178
  • mach3.txt
    32 bytes · Views: 198
  • ace.txt
    26 bytes · Views: 392
  • superdon.txt
    101 bytes · Views: 265
  • thayers.txt
    30 bytes · Views: 1,807
  • uvt.txt
    33 bytes · Views: 164
Code:

wrong name, i guess, maybe the ' is producing the error
All roms txt and mpegs should be renamed ie dragon's lair should be lair Astron Belt should be abelt, as mcobit said earlier in the post this emulator doesnt like symbols and spaces so avoid these.

The problem with spaces should be fixed. But your roms have to follow the romnaming, that is used by daphne. like Dragons Lair1 -> lair.zip etc.

Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum but i was around for more than a year waiting to my pandora to arrive (update to premium and hope it will arrive this week - got email shipping notification)

Astron Belt

badlands

Bega's Battle

Cliff Hanger

Cobra Command

Dragon's Lair

Esh's Aurunmilla

Galaxy Ranger

Interstellar

M.A.C.H.3

Space Ace

Super Don Quix-ote

Thayer's Quest

Us Vs. Them

That is nice of you, but there are more then one rip of the game out there. So if someone will use these framefiles, they have to have the exact same mpegs as you.

Hi everyone

Astron Belt

badlands

Bega's Battle

Cliff Hanger

Cobra Command

Dragon's Lair

Esh's Aurunmilla

Galaxy Ranger

Interstellar

M.A.C.H.3

Space Ace

Super Don Quix-ote

Thayer's Quest

Us Vs. Them

That is nice of you, but there are more then one rip of the game out there. So if someone will use these framefiles, they have to have the exact same mpegs as you.
Yeah ive got 2 daphne sets both are totally different mpeg sizes and naming.ie 1 has lair other DragonsLair 1has abelt the other Astron both work if you use correct files roms doesnt seam to matter ive been looking about the net for other mpegs but the sites i got them from have dissapeared.

Yeah ive got 2 daphne sets both are totally different mpeg sizes and naming.ie 1 has lair other DragonsLair 1has abelt the other Astron both work if you use correct files roms doesnt seam to matter ive been looking about the net for other mpegs but the sites i got them from have dissapeared.

I am not sure, if you should tell here, if you downloaded roms and stuff from the internet. This is illegal in most countries.

However, if you *own* the DVDs, you can download them legitimately from within Daphne Loader for the PC/Mac/Linux. It takes awhile (but only needs to be done once) and requires you to insert your DVD to validate them before they will run, but it guarantees a clean encoding. These are the files I used to start with and then re-encoded them to 2k bitrate later with FFMPEG. Here is the quote from the Daphne website:

In cooperation with our friends at Digital Leisure - owners of their Dragon's Lair, Dragon's Lair II, Space Ace, and Thayer's Quest DVDs are able to download versions for use with DAPHNE - right from the loader!!

Also, there is a little app to create framefiles from your mpegs...

-Jerry

That's right, but he is talking about websites he got them from.

I have been asked by a few people on how to re-encode the mpeg files step-by-step, so here goes on a PC running Windows:

I used FFMPEG which is a free download here:

http://ffmpeg.org/download.html

Then, I basically copied the encoding/demux command line mcobit used... which runs it in 2 parts, first an encode then a demux. To do this I created 2 small BAT files:

ENCODE.BAT

Code:
ffmpeg -i %1.m2v -b 2000k -vcodec mpeg2video -deinterlace -s 640x480 %1.mpg

erase %1.m2v

DEMUX.BAT

Code:
ffmpeg -i %1.mpg -vcodec copy -an %1.m2v

erase %1.mpg

Then, I copied all of the relevant M2V files into a directory, along with ffmpeg.exe (in the bin directory of the ffmpeg download), and these three BAT files. I opened a DOS Prompt with Admin rights, CDed to this directory, and did the following:

I ran ENCODE <name>, and when that finished, I rand DEMUX <name>, where <name> is the m2v filename without the m2v extension. So, for example, with lair.m2v, I did the following at the C: prompt:

ENCODE lair

DEMUX lair

What is left is a new lair.m2v that has been encoded down to a 640x480 with a 2k bitrate.

NOTE: This will erase the original higher-resolution/higher-bitrate M2V files in that directory so make sure you are working with backups!

Finally, just copy them back over the other M2V files on your Pandora, and DELETE the .DAT files so that the emulator will rebuild them from the new M2V files .

Hope that helps!

Very good! Now windowspeople will have it easier too. Thanks!

Thanks Jerry Blade. Any chances of doing a "batch" script that would convert all .m2v files and then demux? I tried a few (by gogling) but I had no success. Probably a syntax error. I also tried WinFF and the command script worked for encoding, but it didn't work for demuxing (I'm going to look deep into that). Thanks for the script and mcobit, thanks for this awesome emu.

EDIT: Ok, I got it working for batch encoding. Just create a .bat using the commands below and it will batch covert everything:

for %%A in (*.m2v) do ffmpeg -i %%A -b 2000k -vcodec mpeg2video -deinterlace -s 640x480 %%A.mpg

erase *.m2v

ren *.m2v.mpg *.

ren *.m2v *.mpg

for %%B in (*.mpg) do ffmpeg -i %%B -vcodec copy -an %%B.m2v

erase *.mpg

ren *.mpg.m2v *.

ren *.mpg *.m2v

Sorry for the lots of ren commands but it was the only way I could make it work properly.

mcobit. Thanks again for this awesome emu.

Ok got the Batch files working and converting ..Thank You

I had 2 bad sectors on my image so I want to rip from dvd now.

So what is the mothod using the FFmpeg for converting from original DVD ?

Thanks Bud

Edit: for now I will use official daphne and insert my original disk and get the legal

files and then convert :) Seems like a wasted large download though..Bud

Back