Release Daphne WIP

So many quarters wasted in that game.... Nice work Mcobit!

mcobit, you ROCK!

I requested a Daphne port early in the Pandora's life, and sadly no one seemed interested(hell, most forum members didn't even know what it was). If I had any level of basic programming skills, I would help you out in a heart beat. Sadly, I can barely get Daphne up and running on my PC :lol: So the chances of me programming anything are next to impossible.

I actually contacted the creator Matt Ownby years ago when he was trying to do a GP2X port, and I asked if he would be interested in trying for the Pandora once it would get released(since it had way more power), but he had so many problems with the 2X port, he was put off on handheld versions due to lack of power(My request was probably 3-4+ years ago).

I always figured the Pandora could handle it, but Daphne has always been very complex to set up and get running, and sadly the interest in playing classic laserdisc games is just not that high for most people who might have the skills to help. Hopefully someone who likes a challenge will step up and give a helping hand.

Thanks so much for starting the ball rolling, as Daphne was one of the original reasons I wanted a Pandora. Being able to play original arcade authentic versions of Dragons Lair, Cliff Hanger, Cobra Command, ect would be a dream come true, and aother super great reason to own the Pandora.

Hear is the Wiki link for those who are not in the know: https://www.daphne-emu.com:9443/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page Check it out!

Chris

Thanks a lot.

Next step will be to make a menu for it and make a first release. Maybe only for dragons lair 1 with hardcoded launchscript.

Let's see.

Great mcobit :)

I think we need to not consider this .bas files as they are win32 only ...maybe an option would be to create a new GUI in python.

Well there is a gui for linux too. Maybe it can be made.

Why not use picklelauncher or a rudimentary zenity script to pick the files and go like that? (I mean, if the normal UI is in BASIC or something :)

How does it run under Linux proper? There must be a compiler/interpreter for whatever it is, or an alternative frontend .. or else Linux/Unix folks just use it from command line? If so, zenity/picklelauncher is the way to go :)

jeff

Here is a first pnd.

This will only work with Dragon's Lair 1 atm, as the startupscript is for that game.

- Run it once and you will get an errormessage.Close it with esc and go to the appdatadirectory.

- Here copy your lair.zip in the roms directory and your lair.txt (The framefile, has to be called lair.txt) into the framefile directory.

- Copy your mpeg files into a directory on your sdcard.

- Alter the lair.txt to point to the path with your mpegfiles for the game (first line).

- Run the pnd again. If everything worked, the game should start up after a short wait.

You really have to overclock to 1 GHz or more to make the videos smooth (else you will only see the first frame of each video ;) ), if you have the fullsize mpegs. If anyone want to experiment with reencoding them, please do so.

Have fun and please test a lot.

Link: http://maheld.heckel-web.pharmchem.uni-frankfurt.de/daphne.pnd

And of course, the controls:

Insert coin: 5

Start singleplayer: 1

Move: D-Pad

Sword: Space

Quit: Esc

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW, this is awesome!

Thanks mcobit, I've got to dig out my vid files so I can try and test it later.

I also figure if this can be optimized, and improved, it will be time to buy my third 32gb sd card for my Pandora. Damn you mcobit, your costing me money already! :lol:

Hopefully I can report back in a few days with some proper testing info, but my wifes on vacation this week, so I'm busy family entertaining, but as soon as I free up some time........DAPHNE, here I come! Thanks Again.

Chris

Wow - great port!!! I am running it at 870MHz without any stuttering issues using a single m2v and ogg file encoded as follows (report from ffprobe):

Duration: 00:11:55.01, bitrate: 10000 kb/s

Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg2video (Main), yuv420p, 640x480 [sAR 1:1 DAR 4:3], 10000 kb/s, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1200k tbn, 47.95 tbc

Thanks for the great port!

Wow, good to hear, that it works for others too.

I got stuttering under 1 GHz, as I have the full DVD size files...

640x480 is really the way to go.

Thanks for testing!

Now I'll make up some kind of menu for it. Hope I get some time soon.

edit: Please keep on testing. I hope we can find a format in which it will run at normal speed. Maybe with a little lower bitrate.

Thanks for testing!

edit: Please keep on testing. I hope we can find a format in which it will run at normal speed. Maybe with a little lower bitrate.
i must be doing something wrong lair.zip in rom folder lair.txt in framefile folder change 1st line to H:pandora\appdata\daphne\mpeg\lair and it still says cant open framefile H:pandora\appdata\daphne\mpeg\lair the files i used work with daphne 99.7 must be me.

Thanks for testing!

i must be doing something wrong lair.zip in rom folder lair.txt in framefile folder change 1st line to H:pandora\appdata\daphne\mpeg\lair and it still says cant open framefile H:pandora\appdata\daphne\mpeg\lair the files i used work with daphne 99.7 must be me.

It looks like you copied over the lair.txt from your windows install which will not work by default (the H: doesn't exist on the Pandora and Unix uses a / instead of \). I find it much easier to use a relative address instead of an absolute one.

The first line of my lair.txt is:

../mpeg/lair

This assumes you put the mpeg and/or ogg files in /appdata/daphne/mpeg/lair

Try that.

Cheers guys linux is a nightmare to me played through whole game looks brill on pandora display playing at 885mhz with no problems hopefully this project will advance(just a shame daphne doesnt support firefox)cheers again for the advice.

So gameplay works good for you? Thats good to hear. Cheers.

Back