Release Garden Of Coloured Lights

Can we have the shoulder buttons back? I wanna map Slow to R.

Well, I can't really see a reason, that these can't be mapped. Give me a day or two and i can have a look, what prevents them from beeing free to the mapping.

Can we have the shoulder buttons back? I wanna map Slow to R.

Well, I can't really see a reason, that these can't be mapped. Give me a day or two and i can have a look, what prevents them from beeing free to the mapping.
I think the keymappings are 303 for L and 305 for R, if that's any help...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been playing this one a lot lately - I've been really busy with some work for a few weeks and this is almost the only thing that I've been using my Pandora for. It's really quite a good game.

My current high score is 21351 on "normal", using the 3rd ship from the left.

I still can't beat level 4. Those weapons that shoot on circular paths are really tough to keep track of. I did get to the final boss on that level once or twice, but couldn't beat it.

I was stuck for the longest time on the final boss of level 2 a few months ago, until I figured out that the outline of the circles that are fired at you won't hurt your ship, only the coloured part will. Also, the laser beams won't hurt you until they turn dark green. Then level 3 was comparatively straightforward, except for those damn large green spheres - have to kill those really quickly or the whole screen fills up with enemy fire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, looks like the author of this has made a number of other neat games:

http://www.allegro.c...enzell/projects

Linley Henzell he is, other then the creator of rogue crawl, he has excellent shooters up his sleeves.

He does have a couple newer ones not listed on that link I guess, every prod a must.

Here is an old interview with him:

http://quote-un-quote.tumblr.com/post/2178789666/interview-with-shmup-legend-linley-henzell

I´d wish he would take code/game as a full time occupation.

There is a chap that only needs to ask so I pour some money...

^

Thanks for posting the interview link!

While trying to find a PayPal donation page for Linley, I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/sh2BAVGNJDU?feature=oembed

That game reminded me a lot of Craig's Vektar but on a smaller scale and not quite as nice to look at or listen to. So I fired up Vektar since it's been a minute since I played. It seems like 512MB RAM has this game running very smooth compared to a 256MB unit. Maybe its just me, or after watching LaceWing it just seemed so much better.

I marked "Garden Of Coloured Lights" as "to hard for me". :D

On the small Pandora screen it is really hard to keep the overview, I never survived 5 Minutes in the game, I'm not even sure if I ever reached Level 2.

However, the other great vertical shooter on the Pandora "Rrootage" is much more friendly to me, no clue why but I get better results there. Maybe because I've played some Ikaruga in the past, Rrootage has an similar game mode (besides other gammmodes).

Of course it gets insane hard after the first 1/3 of levels. :D

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=rrootage-rr-23550

Game also could need some performance improvements. It get's pretty slow in the late levels when "bullet hell" really is "bullet hell".

Ah, yes, lacewing. Has only a dos and windowsport, but I can see, if I can compile it for linux. As said, Linley is very helpful and may help out if there are problems.

Will have a try.

About rRootage and performance:

I want to put up the source, then everyone can have a look, if there are some optimisations possible. But with my limited knowledge of GL I can't do much there.

Ok, in this case, I will see, if his crawl version is compileable. But he pretty much only uses allegro so it is worth a try.

@Fusion_Power, I tried rRootage today... I must say I was disappointed and a bit bored. It was quite polished, yes, and the graphics were superficially a bit similar, but it seemed to consist of a neverending series of ever-harder boss battles, or rather the same boss but a bit harder every time, the same scenery but ever-so-gradually increasing difficulty level (too gradual to be interesting for me). I was really missing the synesthesia (tying together of music and graphics) that Linley's games have, as well as the constant mental challenges that aren't only limited to obstacle avoidance, but also require you to plan strategy and get used to new ways of thinking (Excellent Bifurcation being a prime example of the latter).

Back