Release Daphne WIP

Of course you can use it. Feel free to use anything from any of my pnds.

Maybe you want to quote the paths though, so you don't have problems with spaces in pathnames. Will add that to next release.

Tried rencoding dl2 and galaxy ranger with no joy you must have to convert ogg file or rencode mpeg2 super only had mpg and mp4 so dont know what im doing wrong also tried interstellar and us vs them both worked overclocked to 1ghz after parsing also thayers quest worked and cobra command alt.Maybe a little guide to reencoding would help get the slower games up and running.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will have a shot at it tomorrow, don't have a windows pc at home.

theoretical question [never tried daphne]: if we reencode it into 320x240 MPEG will it work ?

Great job! Had Daphne on my pc for years now,excellent to have it for pandora to,thanks!

Ok,tried Super don quix-ote(the reason i got into Daphne!).At 850mhz it runs a bit to choppy and frezzes for a second or two every now and then.

At 1ghz it runs smoothly,but unfortunately,when you press a button,the video freezes shortly.This means you can miss the next move.

The game still plays though,as even when videos frozen i have been able to time a move correctly,and the video catches up.

Music and sound continues playing fine through frezzes.

I cant try it higher than 1050mhz though,as my pandora freezes when i try to set it any higher!

Thanks again!

Dragons Lair 2 - works perfect :) @ 870 ...Bud

In the game Cliff Hanger -

Is here a another button mapped for the feet?

this game has hands/feet... right in the beggining you need to jump .space bar does the hands .

ok had another go at rencoding but still no joy ive came to the conclusion you have to also adjust the ogg file for the m2v file how do you do this anyone any ideas.

I reencoded some files now and it works relatively good.

I used ffmpeg from commandline, and as I have the dvd version of dl1, I have multiple files.

Here is the script I encoded them with:

Code:
for i in `ls *.m2v`

do

ffmpeg -i $i -b 2000k -vcodec mpeg2video  -deinterlace -s 640x480 newdir/${i}.mpg

ffmpeg -i newdir/$i.mpg -vcodec copy -an newdir/$i

rm newdir/*.mpg 

done

This just encodes every m2v file in the directory to mpeg2 with a size of 640x480 and a bitrate of 2000kb/s.

Then it demuxes this mpegfile. This is necessary for it to work with daphne.

If you only have one file, this should work, too:

Code:
ffmpeg -i youroldfile -b 2000k -vcodec mpeg2video  -deinterlace -s 640x480 newdir/yournewfile.mpg

ffmpeg -i newdir/yournewfile.mpg -vcodec copy -an newdir/yournewfile.m2v

rm newdir/*.mpg

Edit: The videos can run on 600Mhz now, but I think the bottleneck is really sdcard-speed, as between videos there is still a lag for me. That could be because very short videos can't be buffered fast enough... But I don't really know.

I have a Class4 Card only, so I can't test others.

I used ffmpeg from commandline, and as I have the dvd version of dl1, I have multiple files.

Code:
for i in `ls *.m2v`

do

ffmpeg -i $i -b 2000k -vcodec mpeg2video  -deinterlace -s 640x480 ../lair2/${i}.mpg

ffmpeg -i ../lair2/$i.mpg -vcodec copy -an ../lair2/$i

rm ../lair2/*.mpg 

done

This just encodes every m2v file in the directory to mpeg2 with a size of 640x480 and a bitrate of 2000kb/s.

Code:
ffmpeg -i youroldfile -b 2000k -vcodec mpeg2video  -deinterlace -s 640x480 newdir/yournewfile.mpg

rm newdir/*.mpg

Edit: The videos can run on 600Mhz now, but I think the bottleneck is really sdcard-speed, as between videos there is still a lag for me. That could be because very short videos can't be buffered fast enough... But I don't really know.

Cheers m8 but cmd line is beyond me.

Dragons Lair 2 - works perfect :) @ 870 ...Bud

In the game Cliff Hanger -

Is here a another button mapped for the feet?

this game has hands/feet... right in the beggining you need to jump .space bar does the hands .
What class and make of sd card are you using?

Ok, new build.

Now with proper controls and nubsupport:

Move: left nub/d-pad

Actionbutton 1: A

Actionbutton 2: X

Actionbutton 3: B

Insert Coin: select

Start game: start

Same link of course: http://maheld.heckel-web.pharmchem.uni-frankfurt.de/daphne.pnd

For some reason, after hitting ESC to exit Daphne, my nubs stay in Joystick mode, and I have to re-set them from the Pandora Menu to what they were before. I looked at your shell script versus mine on linapple, and it looks like you are creating an env variable with export which you shouldnt need to do inside the script because everything would stay local; however, I don't know why that wouldn't work.

Hi, yes, this is a bug. I am not sure either why it doesn't work correctly.

Works this way in rRootage...

Have to check tomorrow whats wrong.

Also I have scalingsupport for next release.

Thanks for testing!

I just ordered my class 10 32GB card yesterday, and it's on the way. So hopefully I can get this up and running in a few days, and help provide some testing info. My other cards are currently full, and they are class 4 anyways, so I figured if the class speed has been an issue for some, I should go for a faster card.

mcobit, you have my deepest gratitude and thanks for this great emu. Do you have a donation link? I would love to throw a few dollars your way.

Chris

Hi, yes, this is a bug. I am not sure either why it doesn't work correctly.

Works this way in rRootage...

Have to check tomorrow whats wrong.

Also I have scalingsupport for next release.

Thanks for testing!
Is there any noob friendly rencoders ie that i can use also how do you rencode the ogg file is it separate or doyou make them together ie bin cue

Anybody can help?

In my runscript I use this to set and restore the nubs:

Code:
touch nub0

echo `cat /proc/pandora/nub0/mode` > nub0

echo absolute > /proc/pandora/nub0/mode

exec ./daphne.bin "$ROM" vldp -framefile "$FRAMEFILE" -fullscreen -homedir . $O$

echo `cat nub0` > /proc/pandora/nub0/mode

rm nub0

Variables didn't work, so i exported the nubsetting into a file.

The strange thing is, that the lines after the command for daphne are not beeing processed.

I have no clue why, as this works for rRootage...

This is what i used for my Pandora port of linapple:

Code:
NUB0MODE=`cat /proc/pandora/nub0/mode`

NUB1MODE=`cat /proc/pandora/nub1/mode`

echo absolute > /proc/pandora/nub0/mode

echo absolute > /proc/pandora/nub1/mode

./linapple

echo $NUB0MODE > /proc/pandora/nub0/mode

echo $NUB1MODE > /proc/pandora/nub1/mode

I never explicitly set an environment variable. This just creates variables local to the actual shell script and worked fine.

Code:
for i in `ls *.m2v`

do

ffmpeg -i $i -b 2000k -vcodec mpeg2video  -deinterlace -s 640x480 newdir/${i}.mpg

ffmpeg -i newdir/$i.mpg -vcodec copy -an newdir/$i

rm newdir/*.mpg 

done

Code:

rm newdir/*.mpg

How big were the files before and after re-encoding?

Back