Release Daphne WIP

I tried many games that are working perfectly at 600MHz after reencoding (Space Ace, Dragons Lair, Thayer's Quest are all 100%).

However, I tried Astom Belt and Us vs Them, and after parsing the video, the only thing I can see is a green screen. The game goes on (I can hear the game, inserting coins etc...) but the screen stays green. I tried to play the mpeg movies on the Mplayer on the Pandora and they run fine, so I believe this is something related to Daphne itself. Does this happen to anyone else? Thanks.

EDIT: Well, I tried the original MPEG files and now it is working @870MHz. So I believe this is related to the encoding process, and not Daphne :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you deleted the dat files after reencoding and did you demux? I had the greenscreenissue once after reencoding. But i can't remember, what i did wrong.

Have a look in /tmp/pndrun_daphne.out

There might be an error like "can't load the mpeg" or something...

Yes you are right mcobit. It was related with the rencoding process. I ll redo the enccoding/demux process and will try again. Thanks.

Just to inform you guys that the green screen issue is due to the mpeg resolution. The scripts encode the movies to 640x480. Some games (like Astron Belt), needs to be 512x512. It is working fine now (after reencoding to 512x512).

Just to inform you guys that the green screen issue is due to the mpeg resolution. The scripts encode the movies to 640x480. Some games (like Astron Belt), needs to be 512x512. It is working fine now (after reencoding to 512x512).

So if I re-encoded all of them to 512 x 512 It would be fine?

Do they still show full screen ok when stretched?

Thanks again for all your hard work figuring this out.. Bud

Yes. If you got a green screen, just reencode to 512x512 and they will run fine (full screen but with some black borders on the sides due to the 512x512 resolution). Some games have a few slowdowns (e.g. Astron Belt), but that's because the movies switches all the time, and this is probably because Im using a class 4 SD card. Not sure if all games will work at 512x512. The best thing to do is look at the /tmp/pndrun_daphne.out and check the resolution required.

Just an update on a few games:

-Astron Belt: As posted before this game switches many times so it is a little choppy at every movie transition.

-Badlands: Runs very well with mpegs reencoded to 2000kbps @870MHz

-Bega's Battle: Runs perfectly with movie reencoded to 700kbps @870MHz. (when using 2000kbps it was slow even at 870MHz, it could work for values higher than 700kbps though)

-Laser Grand Prix: freezes when starting the race.

-Mach 3: Runs very well with mpegs reencoded to 2000kbps @870MHz

-Super Don Quix-ote: Runs well with mpegs reencoded to 2000kbps @600MHz. The problem is that when there is a scene change, the game goes on but the movie freezes at the beggining of every movie so you might miss some sommands (this was posted before by other users too). Other than that it runs well.

-Thayer's Quest: Seems to work nice, but I couldn't figure out the controls to start the game.

Us vs Them: Runs well with movie reencoded to 700kbps @870MHz.

BTW: The movies needs to be the same resolution as the original. So just check the original movie resolution and reencoded it with the same resolution but with a lower bit rate. It should help increase the performance of the games.

I'm having a good time playing those games again.

Just an update on a few games:

-Astron Belt: As posted before this game switches many times so it is a little choppy at every movie transition.

-Badlands: Runs very well with mpegs reencoded to 2000kbps @870MHz

-Bega's Battle: Runs perfectly with movie reencoded to 700kbps @870MHz. (when using 2000kbps it was slow even at 870MHz, it could work for values higher than 700kbps though)

-Laser Grand Prix: freezes when starting the race.

-Mach 3: Runs very well with mpegs reencoded to 2000kbps @870MHz

-Super Don Quix-ote: Runs well with mpegs reencoded to 2000kbps @600MHz. The problem is that when there is a scene change, the game goes on but the movie freezes at the beggining of every movie so you might miss some sommands (this was posted before by other users too). Other than that it runs well.

-Thayer's Quest: Seems to work nice, but I couldn't figure out the controls to start the game.

Us vs Them: Runs well with movie reencoded to 700kbps @870MHz.

BTW: The movies needs to be the same resolution as the original. So just check the original movie resolution and reencoded it with the same resolution but with a lower bit rate. It should help increase the performance of the games.

I'm having a good time playing those games again.

Thanks for testing again!

This is all with a class4 card? For some of these games, better performance was reported with highter class cards.

Yes those are all tested on Class 4 cards. I tried to use the USB port (32Gb pen drive) and the performance was slightly better.

I´m gonna buy a Class 10 and I will report back - Oh mcobit, you are making me spend more money :) And thanks for that.

I have reencoded dragons lair 1 and space ace to 640x480 and 2000kbs it seems to really smooth out gameplay.

The scripts that have been posted work great.

Just a small update:

-Dragons Lair II: Works perfectly at 600MHz when reencoded to 2000kbps

-Cliff Hanger : Works perfectly at 600MHz when reencoded to 2000kbps (I finished this one on Pandora).

-Goal to Go: It doesn´t work. There is a message saying that when they fixed Cliff, they have broken this game.

-Interstellar Laser Fantasy: Works perfectly at 600MHz when reencoded to 2000kbps

I´m feeling great playing FMV games again.

Are any of these actually any good? Because I don't see the appeal in these too much, but on the flip side, I haven't played many of these games either. Just the Sega CD version of Time Gal once.

Are any of these actually any good? Because I don't see the appeal in these too much, but on the flip side, I haven't played many of these games either. Just the Sega CD version of Time Gal once.
Laserdisc games are a "love/hate" relationship for sure. I personally love the genre, but most current gen gamers can't really get into the games. Time Gal was a decent rip off of Dragon's Lair, so if you didn't like that one, there isn't really much else to like.

There are some games that use basic gaming tech over full motion vid backgrounds, and they can be enjoyable as well, it just depends on what you like. A little more interaction, or just a playable movie. My favorite games or Cliff Hanger, DL series(includes Space Ace), and Cobra Command.

@Anyone who has reencoded the video files:

Is it possible for anyone to make a video of how to do this thru Windows 7 from start to finish? Or can someone add this to a program where I can just add the files and run it? Adding scripts, ect., is something I have never done, and is confusing me. Or is there a program I can use that just allows me to pick the final resolution and bitrate, and run it without adding in my own commands?

I finally got my class 10 card, and games run OK at 870, but it looks like I need to reencode to really enjoy Daphne on the Pandora.

Thanks Guys,

Chris

Use WinFF. Also, how much space are these games taking up on your card after you re-encode them?

Use WinFF. Also, how much space are these games taking up on your card after you re-encode them?

I'm having difficulty finding a source for Dragon's Lair (the only one I'm interested in) - can anyone suggest where to get it? PM will be fine if it's dodgy, but a reply here for legit sources would be good. I'd prefer dodgy though :p

D.

I heard about a version of dragon's layer that has a different checksum than the original. I think this version was reordered to make the dungeons make more sense. Do you guys know about this?

Back