Craigx Twitter Update Cases This Weekend!

matzesu said:
i dont think that there is so much life reduce, meybe some hours but the pandora schould life 20 yeahrs (if whe are carefull)

As I see it the point is that we need to give some away, why not the abused ones no matter how slight that may be?
Some have to go to the devs who's been trying to put together the stuff we're all going crazy over, some to the background devs who's been working quietly to give us our OS etc, some for demo units etc.
If there's a big delay between those 105 and the rest we've got bigger troubles than any of us want to even contemplate (case issues etc)

Last edited by a moderator:
MDave's reply from the other thread:

What if the NAND flash memory has also been tested constantly reading and written to? We know they have a pretty short life :eek:

We need more information on what and how the burn in tests are done I guess.

Ultimately the only people that can decide where the first 105 units go are those that have invested their money in the system, and no I'm not included yours or my pre-order money here.

But whenever and where-ever it is decided to send some review units out, OP Ltd. needs to be ready. Since this whole "first batch" waiting for the next "two months" is not good business. While for all us that ordered the 1st batch we kind of knew what we were getting in too, though I wasn't expecting quite this long of a wait ;) ... I mean lets be honest the Pandora is never really ever going to be a mainstream gaming console that competes with the likes of big-N or Sony, but because we're a niche item doesn't mean we can't aim high. People ordering the next batch or batches aren't going to give money so easily or have the patience, well maybe the next batch but you know what I mean. The general consumer expects buying items to happen in certain ways. You know simple things like, a shipping date that's give or take a few days or maybe a week, NOT a year or so late. Yes being a little unfair, since subsequent batches should take a lot less time. But it's late and I've had a few beers. Also little things like decent box would make the whole project, I don't know, more believable to people, and also matching up the web-page to what ever the final design of shipping box would be great.

[edit] spelling...

haptagud said:
Ultimately the only people that can decide where the first 105 units go are those that have invested their money in the system, and no I'm not included yours or my pre-order money here.

But whenever and where-ever it is decided to send some review units out, OP Ltd. needs to be ready. Since this whole "first batch" waiting for the next "two months" is not good business. While for all us that ordered the 1st batch we kind of knew what we were getting in too, though I wasn't expecting quite this long of a wait ;) ... I mean lets be honest the Pandora is never really ever going to be a mainstream gaming console that competes with the likes of big-N or Sony, but because we're a niche item doesn't mean we can't aim high. People ordering the next batch or batches aren't going to give money so easily or have the patience, well maybe the next batch but you know what I mean. The general consumer expects buying items to happen in certain ways. You know simple things like, a shipping date that's give or take a few days or maybe a week, NOT a year or so late. Yes being a little unfair, since subsequent batches should take a lot less time. But it's late and I've had a few beers. Also little things like decent box would make the whole project, I don't know, more believable to people, and also matching up the web-page to what ever the final design of shipping box would be great.

[edit] spelling...
What will make the project believable won't be pretty artwork, but shipping it. It doesn't matter whether it comes wrapped in plastic bubble or in a nice box, if it ships and get reviews from third parties, it will have become believable.

I couldn't care less about artwork, I just hope my Pandora will be delivered soon. Extra costs for the team and more time doing useless things aren't something I'm fond of.

Don't think this warrants a new thread, but have you been to (openpandora.ca) lately?
What are you up to MWeston????

"Shipping Nov, 2009"? "Countdown to production unit showcase: 7 day(s)"? What are these so-close-I-can't-believe-it dates shown here?

i think people are once again unrealistically judging the time it's going to take to finish the project from here.

firstly, what are the chances that the first case samples are 100% perfect? it's possible but im not holding my breath.
so that might need a tweak, followed by an alteration to the mould (?) and another run of samples making, shipping to OP and the green light giving to the factory.

assuming the cases are fine second time around, and theyre all produced (1 week, 2?) as well as the boards (how many of these are even done yet?) - everything still needs to be shipped to texas. then they need to book time at the factory for assembly which could be anything from a day to a months notice (maybe more, i dont know). i have no idea how long assembly will take, perhaps a week or maybe 2. then for us UK and European customers at least, they all need shipping back to craig or whoever before they're finally shipped out to customers.

november doesnt seem very likely to me (november starts tomorrow, people), in fact i wont be surprised if the bulk of us dont receive them until 2010.

gibberish said:
november doesnt seem very likely to me (november starts tomorrow, people), in fact i wont be surprised if the bulk of us dont receive them until 2010.
And they've got 30 days from tomorrow to start shipping. Lots of time.

openpandora.ca said:
Countdown to production unit showcase: 7 day(s)
This countdown is to the first Pandora being assembled with a final MP case, is it not?

As far as I know case samples have been inspected by OpenPandora team and corrections forwarded to the factory a few times already. Why would the factory get it wrong yet again, after all the corrections?

So I guess maybe will see the first real Pandora 7 days from now. :)

gibberish said:
i think people are once again unrealistically judging the time it's going to take to finish the project from here.

firstly, what are the chances that the first case samples are 100% perfect? it's possible but im not holding my breath.
so that might need a tweak, followed by an alteration to the mould (?) and another run of samples making, shipping to OP and the green light giving to the factory.

assuming the cases are fine second time around, and theyre all produced (1 week, 2?) as well as the boards (how many of these are even done yet?) - everything still needs to be shipped to texas. then they need to book time at the factory for assembly which could be anything from a day to a months notice (maybe more, i dont know). i have no idea how long assembly will take, perhaps a week or maybe 2. then for us UK and European customers at least, they all need shipping back to craig or whoever before they're finally shipped out to customers.

I think their Nov. date is actually shipping out at least one pandora and not the whole lot. And even if there may be a slight issue with the case, if it's not something that will cause any kind of major issues such as cosmetic, they can still send the corrections to China and have them pop out a new batch to review but could still use the case that has the cosmetic problem in the example and send it to a developer which would cause them to meet the deadline of shipping a Pandora console in November even if it's not the whole lot. :) Just my 2 cents.

rmm21 said:
emil10001 said:
rmm21 said:
Phawx said:
We should totally do that. Just have a huge amount of people outside a factory in Texas pleading to get in and work.

Yeah, people driving by will think that a Star Trek convention is happening inside with Mr. Shatner himself presiding. http://www.dailymoti...-get-a-life_fun

Did anyone read when the 3895 boards would start production?

From an official blog post on Oct. 15:

The other thing you might want to know is that we placed our order for the production of those 3895 boards. Yep, mass production of the motherboards has started!

Thanks Prometheus and Emil for that info. The impression I had was that they were in line with the factory to start the boards sometime soon but that the actual work hadn't yet happened on those 3895. Nice to hear. :)

Wait, what? Placing an order != starting production. Many of us "placed an order" for a Pandora a long time ago, but they're "not quite ready" yet. As mentioned here

Oh, and second wave production PCBs (3895) were ordered on Sept. 30 just to get in the queue. We knew they wouldn’t be starting until after the Chinese holiday anyway which is how it went down but we wanted our place in line. That gave us time to resubmit modified files if we had to before they did anything, but not lose our place. The boards should be deep into formatting and CAM inspection by now and perhaps already into the etching stage of inner layers.

There's a line. Where are we in it? How much longer do we have to wait for them to actually *start*?

As far as the "used" 105 go, if they're going to have shorter lifetimes, the OP team always has the option to sell them as "refurbished/used" at a discount. I bet there'd be a bunch of people to snap them up.

edit: refurbished idea

@benji_stein beleave the quote you posted was prior to the ones you highlighted. Therefore boards are started, not been told if and when they'll be finished. But considering the timelines now being given they must expect them soon

Na-Noo said:
@benji_stein beleave the quote you posted was prior to the ones you highlighted. Therefore boards are started, not been told if and when they'll be finished. But considering the timelines now being given they must expect them soon

That's also the link posted in the "thanks to Prometheus" - it's similar to the one referenced from the 15th. Have we been given confirmation that they've started? If not, I'm not going to make any assumptions - and especially not on the "finished soon." That one's been said throughout the entire process.

benji_stein said:
Na-Noo said:

That's also the link posted in the "thanks to Prometheus" - it's similar to the one referenced from the 15th. Have we been given confirmation that they've started? If not, I'm not going to make any assumptions - and especially not on the "finished soon." That one's been said throughout the entire process.
Yes we have, the etching process at least, what more is involved in the process I don't know though

IIRC, the order was place on Sept. 30th to hold their place in line with the factory, but they were waiting on the first CE test to give the go-ahead. Once the test was done, and they passed, they said that they would actually start production on those PCBs. So in my post when ED said that mass production has started, I take that to mean that it had actually started at that point.

benji_stein said:
Have we been given confirmation that they've started?
Yep.

Oh, and second wave production PCBs (3895) were ordered on Sept. 30 just to get in the queue. We knew they wouldn't be starting until after the Chinese holiday anyway which is how it went down but we wanted our place in line. That gave us time to resubmit modified files if we had to before they did anything, but not lose our place. The boards should be deep into formatting and CAM inspection by now and perhaps already into the etching stage of inner layers.
That was 12 days ago.

http://pandorapress....ont-hurt-a-bit/

"should" doesn't really count as confirmation, though...

I'm confused by his actual question because it even states that in his own quote....
Does anybody around here know what sort of steps are required to produce this type of board (is it a 4 layer one) and if possible rough estimate to do them?

edit
@Pleng - I understand your point but as far as the dev's are concerned they've been started, it was a matter of not knowing the exact stage that it was on.

Pleng said:
"should" doesn't really count as confirmation, though...

That just means that they don't have specific information as to where in the process the PCBs are. It does mean that they have given the go-ahead and expect that production has started on them. Also, that was a couple weeks ago, so hopefully we will get an update on them soon.

Back