COVID-19 / Coronavirus Pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shit went down in Amsterdam today. Here and there some altercations (one guy was clubbed), but in general a peaceful protest (although the ME had their watercannons at the ready). There was a drone taking pictures.
(removed twitter link with altercations and bloody head)
What were they protesting about specifically, out of interest? I guess due to the lack of dedicated face masks it was those people that don't like to be told to keep to themselves, but I can't read dutch so I don't know.

Bear in mind

Genuinely read that as “beer in mind”...
Well, you could both be right. Bears don't drive, what's stopping them from drinking beer ? I heard only humans have the gene to digest alcohol, but they can always drink alcohol free beer if they feel better...
You know, one sometimes has some weird thought that then one thinks, that must be the drunken bear in my mind...
:p

Ah, in those 3D games where you can walk around, there are "cheatcodes" that disable clipping, so you can pass through walls. In this case I was hinting at the old Doom games that had this.
Ah, OK, now I understand.

What were they protesting about specifically, out of interest? I guess due to the lack of dedicated face masks it was those people that don't like to be told to keep to themselves, but I can't read dutch so I don't know.
Note that it is legal not to wear face-masks in the open air (the 1.5 meter rule still applies though).

Mixed bag of reasons, I'll skim over them.
  • Our government fell
Some because our government fell and they are still governing as a demissionary government (with some suggestions by said government that they will not hold elections due to corona, which both combined means people thing this is a coup). The Prime Minister also said under oath he would do things above the law, which itself is well, undemocratic to say the least and some want him at tribunals. The government is now pursuing curfew and press is not getting a real answer how this actually helps. Our press is very divided into blatant pro-vaccine propaganda campains disguised as programs, and covert teaching the population how to rebel (or at least how to protest with the current technology - be like water, mobile sculptures with air, etc).
Why did the Dutch Government fell? Well, get a politics/worldnews thread open and I'll tell you there. We also got promised there wont be a corona-passport, but it's in the investigation phase.
We also are still pissed at the fact our referendum, the one legal way to stop the government doing what it wants instead of doing what the majority wants has been abolished.
  • small businesses
Extended lockdowns are destroying the small commerce and diners by extending and extending (even though contagion in NL goes down). The big contradiction is that they have no set of rules WHEN it is "save enough" to open again. The injustice is embiggened* by the fact that closing certain type of shops seems random, while other stay open, with the same influx of customers. This is not a "2 maximum customers", this is totally closed. Combine this with the fact that these businesses will get LOANS (which they will need to pay back) while still having to pay rent (like 4000 euro a month for a small business) and you can see that this money will not magically be payed back. Some started selling all their furniture, their kitchen and coolers, so basically eating up their life savings.
Most Dutch are not affected by all this, so they do not (want to) understand why some are upset.
  • antivaxxers
People that saw all the dead people, people that got illnesses due to a quick gene therapy vaccine. While each government issued statement says it's "very safe". While we get letters from townhalls, hospitals that it's recommended and safe, but they do and will not take any responsibility.
The thing was too quick to market, all normal illnesses (where the bigger number of deaths are) are getting less priority.
Some are antivax, others only anti-this-vaccine-only. Some feel the definitions slip into that it will be mandatory (it won't, you just will get impediments, for now). We still have good journalism, but they spew out figures that the acceptance of vaccination is getting higher is actually offset by independant polls that the acceptance is actually getting lower (not as low as in, say, France). Also, they have teams that post in antivax articles, so much that it's not fun to read comment anymore. Much of this is due to
  • antiNWO/anti-great-economic-reset
Suddenly there are new laws passed where, we the people, have no say in. It basically transfers part of the control to Brussels(E.U.) as WHO imposes things, these orders trickle down into each European country, without any self-ruling. Note that the Dutch voted against joining the E.U. years ago, and the government overruled us. As we read the plans of think-tanks, like the WEF, it's just not that sunny at the other side.

• A way to get out
We still have a large group of protesters that were there protesting against nuclear waste, nuclear bombs, wars, etc. And a group of young people, that want to belong to something important. Those are represented too (as you can see from the pics, it's old, middle aged and young people. Fortunately no Children).

• We don't like the Amsterdam mayor
She, during lockdown, walked with us for BLM, but this manifestation (not a demonstration) was not allowed. Sounds an awful lot like USA's situation, right?
It means that you can manifest againts crimes happening anywhere on earth, except local ones.

*embiggened is a perfectly cromulent word.

Last edited:
Dutch were also clueless to latin dance in the 80ties, but to be honest, many Dutch now really CAN dance well. I guess its just practice.

Note that it is legal not to wear face-masks in the open air (the 1.5 meter rule still applies though).

Mixed bag of reasons, I'll skim over them.
  • Our government fell
Some because our government fell and they are still governing as a demissionary government (with some suggestions by said government that they will not hold elections due to corona, which both combined means people thing this is a coup). The Prime Minister also said under oath he would do things above the law, which itself is well, undemocratic to say the least and some want him at tribunals. The government is now pursuing curfew and press is not getting a real answer how this actually helps. Our press is very divided into blatant pro-vaccine propaganda campains disguised as programs, and covert teaching the population how to rebel (or at least how to protest with the current technology - be like water, mobile sculptures with air, etc).
Why did the Dutch Government fell? Well, get a politics/worldnews thread open and I'll tell you there. We also got promised there wont be a corona-passport, but it's in the investigation phase.
We also are still pissed at the fact our referendum, the one legal way to stop the government doing what it wants instead of doing what the majority wants has been abolished.
  • small businesses
Extended lockdowns are destroying the small commerce and diners by extending and extending (even though contagion in NL goes down). The big contradiction is that they have no set of rules WHEN it is "save enough" to open again. The injustice is embiggened* by the fact that closing certain type of shops seems random, while other stay open, with the same influx of customers. This is not a "2 maximum customers", this is totally closed. Combine this with the fact that these businesses will get LOANS (which they will need to pay back) while still having to pay rent (like 4000 euro a month for a small business) and you can see that this money will not magically be payed back. Some started selling all their furniture, their kitchen and coolers, so basically eating up their life savings.
Most Dutch are not affected by all this, so they do not (want to) understand why some are upset.
  • antivaxxers
People that saw all the dead people, people that got illnesses due to a quick gene therapy vaccine. While each government issued statement says it's "very safe". While we get letters from townhalls, hospitals that it's recommended and safe, but they do and will not take any responsibility.
The thing was too quick to market, all normal illnesses (where the bigger number of deaths are) are getting less priority.
Some are antivax, others only anti-this-vaccine-only. Some feel the definitions slip into that it will be mandatory (it won't, you just will get impediments, for now). We still have good journalism, but they spew out figures that the acceptance of vaccination is getting higher is actually offset by independant polls that the acceptance is actually getting lower (not as low as in, say, France). Also, they have teams that post in antivax articles, so much that it's not fun to read comment anymore. Much of this is due to
  • antiNWO/anti-great-economic-reset
Suddenly there are new laws passed where, we the people, have no say in. It basically transfers part of the control to Brussels(E.U.) as WHO imposes things, these orders trickle down into each European country, without any self-ruling. Note that the Dutch voted against joining the E.U. years ago, and the government overruled us. As we read the plans of think-tanks, like the WEF, it's just not that sunny at the other side.

• A way to get out
We still have a large group of protesters that were there protesting against nuclear waste, nuclear bombs, wars, etc. And a group of young people, that want to belong to something important. Those are represented too (as you can see from the pics, it's old, middle aged and young people. Fortunately no Children).

• We don't like the Amsterdam mayor
She, during lockdown, walked with us for BLM, but this manifestation (not a demonstration) was not allowed. Sounds an awful lot like USA's situation, right?
It means that you can manifest againts crimes happening anywhere on earth, except local ones.

*embiggened is a perfectly cromulent word.
With all due respect, I see you’ve learned zilch from the Brexshit mess...

My state's percentage of tests positive has dropped from 17% on the 4th to 10% yesterday. That's pretty cool. No update today because of the federal holiday.

Of course, once the UK variant gets going here, it's going to rise again, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

I'm surpised the UK variant nCov ain't there already to be honest. It seems to have got fairly effectively around the world before everyone locked down, and given the connections between London and the east coast US airports I'd be surprised if it hadn't already made an appearance in the US. That said it does seems to be fairly easy to localise; it's spread across the south of this country here, but I've not heard of it making an appearance in yorkshire yet. But perhaps they've just given up on reporting where it is here now, since I've not heard a story on that for a few weeks now.

With all due respect, I see you’ve learned zilch from the Brexshit mess...
Dutch voted against EU (Before it was set and defined as it is now), but we were still pro EEU (European Economic Union), they way it was before, you know, with different valuta (issued money) for each country and such.

Dutch voted against EU (Before it was set and defined as it is now), but we were still pro EEU (European Economic Union), they way it was before, you know, with different valuta (issued money) for each country and such.
Think you missed my point

I'm surpised the UK variant nCov ain't there already to be honest. It seems to have got fairly effectively around the world before everyone locked down, and given the connections between London and the east coast US airports I'd be surprised if it hadn't already made an appearance in the US. That said it does seems to be fairly easy to localise; it's spread across the south of this country here, but I've not heard of it making an appearance in yorkshire yet. But perhaps they've just given up on reporting where it is here now, since I've not heard a story on that for a few weeks now.

Its already likely spreading in the US. The reason its not "known" is the US is only sequencing like 1% of all positive results. Places like Japan are sequencing upward of 80% of positive results.

Even with the pathetic sequencing, there have been UK variants found in a few states, as well as brand new variants found in California as well as 2 new variants in Ohio

Fun COVID-19 politics stuff is happening. Trump decided to lift travel restrictions from Brazil, Europe, and the UK, effective January 26th. President Biden says he intends to block the order though. Obviously, this was kind of a grandstanding move by Trump, so he can stick his tongue out at people who opposed his travel restrictions before COVID-19.

curfew for Netherlands 23 jan - 9 feb 21:00-4:30

They launched the idea 1 week ago, so that we slowly start getting used to the word.

Why?
Because Merkel (Germany) was threatening it would close the border with NL if NL didn't impose more rules
Because of the extreme English variant (which a Dutch newspaper reported it was milder than the original strain for one elderly home)
Because it's better than the next plan "stay at home".
Because after 9 feb we are below the curve and we can party and hug again! (I'm being too optimistic here, they already plan on extending it)
In Dutch fashion, instead of 20:30 (agenda 30) it is now starting at 21:00. This gives some of the parties something to brag about during the elections: Look what we negotiated. But I doubt the effectiveness. It does not stop kids from partying.
Exceptions exist: You can still order food after curfew, the deliverer has a permit. You can still walk your dog. If you work is essential, you are allowed to go to/from work.

why not?
When your kids finally fall asleep, you go running to run the stress off.
Dutch remember the war. But this time when you go outside, you don't get a bullet, but a fine (61 euro?)
Our numbers actually are going down, so when asked during the debate the PrimeMinister would "get back to that". (and lots of laughter from his part, as if it was funny)
No clear reply why curfew is effective. Actually, people are fed up, and stop doing the basics: wash hands often, keep to the other rules, etc. Re-enforcing those basic rules should be more effective.
Because it was voted against, democatically (that is, the chambers voted against) , around one year ago. We got swinger parties that changed their minds now. So the debate was smoke and mirrors, the decision was already taken.

At least we can still talk in public transport., unlike Mallorca(Spain): https://de.rt.com/europa/112098-sprechverbot-in-bus-und-bahn/

They just detected the UK variant in a county adjacent to mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back