COVID-19 / Coronavirus Pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
President Biden just implemented some new travel restrictions with South Africa, due to their COVID-19 variant. Seeing as it has already been detected outside of South Africa, I'm not sure this helps that much.

The first case of the Brazilian COVID-19 variant has been detected in the US. Still not much info on what the Brazilian variant actually does.

• Sad
Reactions: rSl
Lots of riots in many cities this weekend in the Netherlands due to the new lockdown.
Groups are divided in 2 fronts: the adults and merchants that are peacefully protesting. The young that are burning and looting.
Note that the next day, some young (that had nothing to do with the destruction) and adults helped clean up the city.
The police has reacted very hard (For Dutch standards). Lots of misinformation on TV (they just mix up both groups). A crying mayor that wanted military.
So either the riots are quenched by the peaceful group, or struck down by brute force by the police. Let's see if we survive until the Dutch elections.

Between the rioters are: Marokkan youth (in the city of The Hague), antifa, police in incognito (yup), anarchists, Urkians (White Dutch people from Urk, a town; where they burned down a covid testing facility - a big tent).
Something is brewing and escalating. Not a civil war yet, but escalating very fast.

Last edited:
Still not much info on what the Brazilian variant actually does.
the Brazilian one, like the South African one, has a change of the genetic code, at position 484, and that changes a bit of a shape of the protein.

So it bends, probably induced by samba music. Maybe it's trying to dance.

And 484=22^2 (see those "2"? And that we always wait for 2 months? Coincidence? I think not!)

/joking

sources:

Qu'est-ce que c'est?

@FBnil Could you give a brief work-safe tl;dr on what the link contains please?
China has begun using **** swabs to test those it considers to be at high risk of contracting Covid-19, state TV has reported. Officials took **** swabs from residents of neighbourhoods with confirmed Covid-19 cases in Beijing last week, according to the state broadcaster CCTV, while those in designated quarantine facilities have also had the tests. Small, localised outbreaks in recent weeks have resulted in multiple cities in northern China being sealed off from the rest of the country and prompted mass testing campaigns, which had mostly been conducted using throat and nose swabs. The **** swabs method "can increase the detection rate of infected people" as traces of the virus linger longer in the **** than in the respiratory tract, Li Tongzeng, a senior doctor from Beijing's Youan hospital, told CCTV. CCTV said on Sunday **** swabs would not be used as widely as other methods, as the technique was "not convenient."

Their vaccines: V590 and V591 gave an inferior immuneresponse compared to natural contraction of the covid flu. They now got money to focus on preventing the virus.
+1 for actually being honest and re-focussing their efforts instead of continuing and going for the big money, like, well, read the next article:

AstraZeneca only 8% effective (for the control group >=65 years)

Merck continues to advance clinical programs and to scale-up manufacturing for two investigational medicines, MK-7110 and MK-4482 (molnupiravir); molnupiravir is being developed in collaboration with Ridgeback Bio.
Is that a typo ? molnupyravir maybe ?:p

Their vaccines: V590 and V591 gave an inferior immuneresponse compared to natural contraction of the covid flu.
Would you mind watching your language around this virus? For one thing it's not a flu, because it's a variant covid virus, not an influenza. And I don't think it's a contraction, because according to my dictionary that's only used in medicine related to muscle action or wound healing or a specific bowel disease. But I'm not sure what word your actually searching for there, I've heard something similar but I'm not sure how to spell it, so I wouldn't use that word.

Plus the natural variant of the covid virus (if that's what you were reaching for) doesn't really tie it down, could be the common cold, could be MERS or SARS or any natural variant of the SARS-Cov-2 virus which is responsible for the Covid-19 disease. In this thread you can talk about the original variant of the SARS-Cov-2 virus (or I'll accept original covid-19 virus, if you're lazy), or the London variant or the South African variant or the Danish mink variant or the Brazilian variant (which probably all have better names already, but I've not learned them yet).

So, four days after President Biden increased travel restrictions with South Africa, the South African variant of SARS-CoV-2 has been detected in the United States.

Fortunately, it was detected in South Carolina. I'm in North Carolina. Two completely different places. Yup.

Curfew accentuated virus spreading in Toulouse, probably because people are more concentrated at certain hours:

Yeah, it could be everyone crowding onto the Toulouse Metro to get home before the curfew comes into force. But the scientists are still studying the data, so hopefully they'll come up with a more evidence-based reason soon.

Reactions: rSl
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back